Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 04-25-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
Agrias
Mya!

How do you make hips??

Hello! ^^ I was just wondering if anyone on the boards could offer their expertise on how to get hips. O.o; I have a blue cheongsam that fits perfectly on all the parts of the body except for the hips, and I was wondering how I could go about padding them without them looking fake or whatnot X.x
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2003, 01:32 AM   #2
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Off-the-top-of-the head idea: (never tried it, I have the opposite problem - hiding hips! )

1) get a women's "support girdle" (but not very tight).

2) Pick up four 1" wedge cloth-covered shoulder pads at your local fabric store. Sew two each together at the 1" end so you have 2 sets.

3) Try them on as hip-padding inside the girdle-thing. You may even be able to sew them in so you have "instant hips" you can put on.

4) Perhaps a similar approach would work to add a bit more butt if you need it for the dress.

5) For a more professional view, rent and watch the movie "Tootsie" with Dustin Hoffman - he goes through a whole padding sequence in the movie.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2003, 01:32 AM   #3
Menchi
Tee hee <3

they ahve padded panties for tv/ts guys..never used one before or ordered it. but i know they are like $30 or so...looks like neat stuff i think. esp if yya dont ahve hips as full...like guys for instance
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2003, 01:53 AM   #4
Agrias
Mya!

Quote:
Originally posted by Karisu-sama

5) For a more professional view, rent and watch the movie "Tootsie" with Dustin Hoffman - he goes through a whole padding sequence in the movie.
...But I don't even KNOW Dustin Hoffman, much less would i be able to get him to watch a movie with me ;_;
Unread 04-25-2003, 02:32 AM   #5
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Very funny, Agrias. ~___^
Unread 04-25-2003, 09:52 AM   #6
cube

I've read that some transsexuals get silicone injected into their thighs. It's one of the surgical procedures they go thru to transition. I guess this seems a little too extreme for crossplay
Unread 04-25-2003, 03:05 PM   #7
sefie_tilmitt

Have you thought about a male corset? I have no clue how much they can "suck in" so to speak, but Kozi from Malice Mizer wears one here: http://www.angelfire.com/goth/kupo_k...kyomu_kozi.htm and you can see it gives him a slightly female, hippy shape. Padding tends to look like, well, padding, so perhaps if you could use what you already have.

I'm not sure if that would actually work, but it's the first thing I thought of when I read your post.
Unread 04-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #8
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cube
I've read that some transsexuals get silicone injected into their thighs. It's one of the surgical procedures they go thru to transition. I guess this seems a little too extreme for crossplay
No one I know who is TS has done it, and neither do they bother to pad their hips. (They often DO get breast implants, though.)
Unread 04-25-2003, 11:02 PM   #9
Agrias
Mya!

Well... I WOULD go with the corset thing... but the thing with corsets is that they don't give you hips.. they rather pull in your waist to make your hips more pronounced. ^_^;; Basically my hips are a 34 and the hip size on the dress is 42... heh.
Unread 04-26-2003, 03:20 AM   #10
Karisu-sama
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Agrias
Well... I WOULD go with the corset thing... but the thing with corsets is that they don't give you hips.. they rather pull in your waist to make your hips more pronounced. ^_^;; Basically my hips are a 34 and the hip size on the dress is 42... heh.
42"? On a cheongsam? What are the rest of the dress measurements?

I've got a cheongsam that was custom made for me to wear at my brother-in-law's wedding years ago because I was too tall (almost 5'9) for the regular formal floor-length ones. Otherwise, an off-the-rack one might have fit - my hips are 36", and that's what I have to hide when I crossplay.

Instead of padding all the way out to 42", perhaps you could pad some and then take in the dress seam a bit at the hip area? Unless it's custom made, a cheongsam often won't fit exactly...

For crossplay, what you'd want is a woman's corset, not a mans. A properly constructed woman's corset pulls in the central waist but IS built to fit out over nice womanly hips (and often lower-abdominal belly. >.< ) The "hourglass" look.
Unread 04-27-2003, 03:59 AM   #11
BlueLady
slightly distracted

crispy cream doughnuts everyday till your con or event...hips in no time..
sorry had to be said...
Unread 04-27-2003, 04:51 AM   #12
Mink
Fishies!

I second that!!!!! Get this boy some Krispy Kremes stat!
Unread 04-27-2003, 02:45 PM   #13
Agrias
Mya!

Well.. the dress measurements are 40-34-42.. ^^; A bit extreme I think.

Hehe, is it possible to eat something and have it go straight to the hips? o.o Lol.
Unread 04-27-2003, 11:14 PM   #14
BlueLady
slightly distracted

if you are from my family then yes... LOL
Unread 04-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #15
cube

Quote:
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
No one I know who is TS has done it, and neither do they bother to pad their hips. (They often DO get breast implants, though.)
I read that in some newsletter. There is a dissadvantage to that obviously, like any form of plastic surgery the finished result may look fine NOW but over time a person's body shape will change with age so it might not look so good 10 years down the road. The most extreme example of this my mother once told me she met a 60 year old woman who had implants that made her breasts look more perky then a teenager. *scary* That's why I prefure a la natural.

back on topic. I've actually tried to make hips by experimenting with molding, casting, and sculpting stuff but gave up because it was getting ridiculously expensive and I was getting no where.