Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 06-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

Cardboard vs. Wonderflex vs. Anything else.

So I'm looking to make a helmet. Specifically Lucy's from the first episode of Elfen Lied. It'll need to be sturdy, lightweight and made from something that's easy to use. I want it to look like a real, strong, metal helmet. What might be the best material for the job? I'm familiar with cardboard, but what about wonderflex? And I've heard people throw around other materials too. What would be best for this job? And any general helmet making tips would be appreciated too. I plan on making this big enough that I can wear a bundled up wig underneath so I can take the helmet off for some pics.
Devi 1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Without knowing the exact shape of the helmet you want, I'd advise against Wonderflex. I attempted to make a suit of armor using Wonderflex. I had the best success with small pieces (hands), but when it came time to make the larger pieces (breastplates, greaves, etc.) I ran into major trouble - in a nutshell, large pieces of Wonderflex work great if you have something to mold them over, but are very difficult to shape without a positive or negative form. For instance, you could build a model of your helmet, then shape the Wonderflex over that - but it would be very difficult to try to do without it, because WF gets so soft (almost clothlike) when heated and retains every surface irregularity. (I discovered I would've basically needed a full-body mold of myself to make my armor work the way I wanted, and that was just too far to go. XD)

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

Oh, sorry. Here's a picture of the helmet http://images.orfay.com/i/photos1/20...b1f0_large.jpg. I'd also like to make the pieces in the back flexible, like straps, so I can undo them to pull the helmet off.
Devi 1313 is offline   Reply With Quote