Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

cosplay and little kids

Children cosplaying can be so cute and they fit some characters better.
also kids reactions to you cosplaying can be so great. I think children cosplaying is great as long as they want to do and are not being forced by a parent of sibling who's dragging them along.

I'm looking for stories of young kid reactions to your costumes. also stories and photos of some children cosplaying that you've been impressed by.

I got sevral photos taken with little kid at acen with my paper Mario cause it was the size of most of them the one photo I took with a little girl dressed as peach standing next to my paper Mario did not turn out and I really wanted to see how it looked, I was behind the Mario while the photo was taken.

but heres a photo of a young cosplayer at no brand I was very impressed with her. this little girl was dressed as Henrietta from gunslinger girls with a violin case and a P-90 that she carried in the case.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1115675

Unread 06-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Devi 1313
Good girls gather

last year my then-boyfriend dressed as Kakashi and at some point a mom with a Sakura and Naruto in tow ask for a pic. They all did their signature poses and the whole thing was so cute I was shoved out of the way by a horde of "awwww"ing ladies and I never got a pic

This year I saw a mom with her two boys all dressed as Bleach characters, they wound up winning something in the masquerade for their skit.

I also saw a little girl wearing her Belle dress, but she didn't care that much when I ran up, went "HI BELLE!!" and asked for a pic. I think she thought all these other people in costume were weird.

No kids comment on my costume because I do stuff from more adult animes, or at least adult looking costumes.
Unread 06-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Ha, at this past katsucon, while I was with a friend waiting for the hall judging to call roll, all the cosplayers were gathered around while they took attendance. Out of no where, this woman dragging a child in a naruto costume pretty much throws him into the middle of the group and shouts "THIS CHILD WILL COMPETE!!!"

Apparently, it got an honorable mention. It seems this is a running trend, similar to ball gowns and non-shonen cosplay.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Unread 06-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Annie-Mei

Oh, I think cosplay and kids go hand in hand

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1079466
Unread 06-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
A-20

Haha, actually my little cousin cosplayed Sugar a few years ago at ACen. She was only 3 years old at the time.. we didn't really force her, but thought it'd be fun. It was both our first time cosplaying. When my aunt(her mom) put the Sugar hat on her, she grabbed it and threw it on the ground saying "NO!" xD It was pretty funny. ^^;

This is her in 2004
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=554553

This is her last week.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/A-20/k1.png
and uhh...video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRtEWkR5qHU
Unread 06-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
rosabella
Avert not Thine Eyes

At MTAC this year there was the cutest little girl dress up from Moon Phase. It was so adorable!.She ran up to me (Namine), Roxas,and Riku.She then glomped us and asked for pictures! It was so sweet I felt my teeth rotting out. LOL

She then informed us that she was going to be in the cosplay contest and how she wanted her mom to make her a Kingdom Hearts costume too so she could cosplay with us at AWA. We kept seeing her all weekend and each time she would give us hugs. It was so adorable!
Whenever it comes, whatever the future holds for each one of us, we can always go back to these days and look back fondly. Even if we are far apart, we can dream of this one moment in time we spent together.
Unread 06-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
ketalia

I can't take my son to a convention anymore without him cosplaying. His first was Kyo from Fruits Basket. He creeped me out when we got in the elevator at the hotel and he did a Kyo pose while waiting(I think he did this naturally). He then wanted to do Gaara his favorite Naruto character. I refused to make a gourd so he did little Gaara (http://new.photos.yahoo.com/mjmarshe...04322304040/4). He adored his "fan girls" hugging him all day long. Don't know who he is going to want to do next.
Unread 06-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
eternalglade

I love seeing little kids in costume, especially when they're so enthusiastic. I remember at one Anime Boston I was walking with my sister back towards the hotel, and I had my camera out while I was walking. This little girl in a Kiki costume ran up to me, and jumped right in to a pose, and said, "Take a picture." It was soooo cute.
Unread 06-10-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

scream, cry, hide, sob. Yep. Its awesome! Though that could be because I have a dislike for most children.
Otherwise, I'm up for kids cosplaying. I've seen some great InuYasha cosplays involving children, and a bunch of others, and I think aside from the "cuteness factor" they get, it will be cool when they grow up and see pictures of themselves as little kids in cosplay.

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf

Last edited by Volnixshin : 02-24-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
Miss_Kaoru
Cosplay=headache

I want to dress a baby up as a pokemon so bad it's pathetic! Maybe I shouldn't have kids lol.
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post
scream, cry, hide, sob. Yep. Its awesome!
QFT

Forcing your kids to dress up makes you a terrible person. Kids should be able to choose if they want to dress up, or even go to a con at all.
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
CrescentBunny
Nessa

If my kids don't mind dressing up, I sure will do it!

The cutest little girl was Merle from Escaflowne this year at A-Kon :3 she even did this little kitty paw pose! Everyone around her melted. Oh yeah kids + cos play = unforgettable. Another little girl was Sailor Luna at A-Kon 15 16ish...when she posed on stage the awwws filled the room ^_^

See you at:

OniCon '07
IzumiCon '07
Ikkicon '08
All-Con '08
A-Kon '08
MechaCon '08
DragonCon '08
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Aer Arcanum
Willing to Dream Forever

Aw, my little sister has one costume so far, and that's Namine. I plan to cosplay as KH2 Riku with her in an upcoming event. I think she's so cute. ^^ Unfortunately last time she wore it, she didn't get a lot of recognition because she was wearing some other stuff with it because it was cold out. Hopefully this time will be better.

When I was at AB, cosplaying as KH1 Riku, I was sitting on the floor against the wall to take a break, and this kid and his parents were sitting like I was a ways away from me, but even so I could hear the little boy whispering excitedly to his mom about my cosplay. The mom kept asking her son if she wanted a picture of me, but I guess he was too shy, so eventually she just came up and asked me for a picture himself. Then, while they were walking away, I could hear the little boy telling his mom all about Kingdom Hearts and Riku. I thought it was the cutest thing ever.

For Myself: Mytho- Princess Tutu (0%)
For Friends: Ahiru- Princess Tutu (0%), Rue- Princess Tutu (0%)
Planned!
Antimony- Gunnerkrigg Court
Completed!
Zidane- FFIX, Bakura- Yu-Gi-Oh
Genericon, Connecticon, Bakuretsucon
Unread 06-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
Gale
All the world's a stage

If I had known about cosplay when I was a little kid I would have been all for it. I've always loved dressing up in costumes since I can remember. Honestly, if I had known about conventions when I was 8-years-old I would have made my mom take me and made her make a Sailor Moon costume (which she actually did for my 10th Halloween anyway). Whether or not SHE'D agree to that is the real question though...

One of my friends started cosplaying I think when she was 11 or 12. She's been partly making her own costumes since she started too and they've always been really good. I can't imagine how many prizes she must have by now, 'cause even two years into the adult devision (she's 15 now) she's still winning stuff!

Aside from the obvious no-no of forcing kids to cosplay, my biggest complaint about it would be when kids age 7 or younger wearing costumes made by their parents win prizes in the costume contests simply because they're an adorable little kid. Nothing against them entering, but unless there's something that would be just as impressive if an adult were wearing the same (though obviously bigger version) costume. I loved the little Rin skipping around the stage at Connecticon two years ago, but I don't see how she deserved a prize.

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con

Last edited by Gale : 06-11-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Unread 06-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
Beetlecat
Targging it up

Fursuiting as Red XIII, one little girl was *very* excited to see a "tiger". She would follow me around and hug me :P

Later I took the head off, and she pretty much ignored me. But as soon as I put it on, she was like "The tiger's back!"

The Answers to Every Question

*** Check out my next cosplay fursuit - a Klingon targ quad suit! You can watch my progress here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...16#post2391916 ***