Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Closed Thread
Unread 08-26-2002, 04:27 PM   #1
Dvin

Eva 01

I'm just starting doing some cosplaying and as my first costume I've decided to do the EVA 01 unit, from Neon Genesis Evangelion, for Anime North next year (Hopefully it will be done by then! ) But the main thing I'm worried about are the Shoulder Units. If anyone has any ideas on how to make them light enough for me to wear comfortably and yet stay true in relation to the rest of the costume. Any other tips would also be welcome.

Here are some Pictures
http://www.lwhy.clara.net/nge/images/pic14.jpg
http://www.lwhy.clara.net/nge/images/pic19.jpg

Unread 08-26-2002, 04:43 PM   #2
Kusanagi
Pimp of the Caribbean

Oh goody, another person attempting EVA 01! I'll be attempting it as well.

Well first off, depending on the degree of realism you want, I recommend making a bodycast to sculpt the costume on.

www.bioweapons.com will have some useful information.

I dont mean to sound mean, rude, or discourage you from anything, but I would not recommend doing your EVA-01 for your first costume. I went as Dart from Legend of Dragoon to a convention this year, and I had to cosplay for 3 years to get to the point where I could even attempt a costume like this. My previous 2 years I cosplayed Mobile Suits.

Once again, I wouldn't recommend it, but thats just my personal opinion.

"Superman is great. He can spout off something about quantum physics, fly three times around a tree in Guam, and a black hole opens and swallows up the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse." - Pretearwink
Unread 08-26-2002, 04:52 PM   #3
ReiChan
Death Incarnate

I'm going to have to agree with Kusanagi here...doing an Eva as a first cosplay might not be such a good idea. It's an extremely difficult costume to do, if you want to do it well. Actually I don't think I've ever seen a good Eva-01 costume, but anyway...
Unread 08-26-2002, 05:07 PM   #4
engrish

I hate to rain on your parade guy but this is a VERY ambitious project for a newbie. If you insist on continuing then my advice would be to start off slow. DON'T buy all the materials for this costume at once. Buy a small amount of materials and work on it piece by piece. While working on your costume if you come to the conclussion, "ohh my gosh this is way out of my league I have to scrap the project", then it's okay because you've only bought a small amount of materials and not that much money will be wasted.

Unread 08-26-2002, 09:19 PM   #5
Scoti
Lv. 99

hmm.. Eva01 is very difficult costume as with most mecha type cosplay.The shoulders would be the least of your problems..How were you planning on making the head?
Engrish has a good point to only buy small parts in case you find it too hard but even if you run into a "cosplay block" you don't have to scrap the whole project you can just put it aside and attempt it at a later date... Good luck!
Unread 08-27-2002, 11:11 AM   #6
GoGo

Go You

I wish i had the nerv to do something like that

heheheh
Unread 08-29-2002, 03:52 PM   #7
Kusanagi
Pimp of the Caribbean

Actually, probably the reason you haven't seen many (I haven't seen ANY) EVA units is because I don't believe a single person on earth has the body proportions to pull it off. ^_^

"Superman is great. He can spout off something about quantum physics, fly three times around a tree in Guam, and a black hole opens and swallows up the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse." - Pretearwink
Unread 08-30-2002, 01:18 AM   #8
Lady Somairot
scandalicious

i've tossed around the idea of making unit 2... ^_~ and i'll probably do it someday, unless by that time it would have become overdone... though i kinda doubt it...

but i digress... i will say that it's a difficult choice for your first cosplay, but i won't say not to do it either. my first costume was my Lady Somairot costume, which i wore as my prom dress, and GOOD GOD it was insane. and i, though not voted, was truly the queen of that night... *dreamy sigh*

my point is, you'll never know your limitations until you try. i never thought i could pull off my carmila, but i think that turned out alright.

sorry i'm not much help in telling you how to make the shoulders... hadn't figured that out myself just yet... o_O

ja!
Unread 06-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
MechAlucard

Well this year I am doing an EVA01 cosplay. the only thing I did not do so well on was the head but the rest of the body looks decent. it took five rolls of tape and a mountain of cardboard. it's only my second cosplay but I think it turned out alright. I just have some detail work to do and will post the results soon... I hope...
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
EVA UNIT 01

Unhappy

looks like i'm not alone i'm doing the same thing and it also my first time and like the others i need help

Closed Thread