Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 06-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Cokohi

Skits: Serious or comedy?

Hey I've been wondering what is usually the best bet when making skits? It seems like most cosplayers in masquerades perform comedies rather than serious skits. Is it just easier to perform a comedy rather than a serious skit or are comedies just more well received?

I wanted to perform a skit and I thought of an idea I wanted to try out but it would be a serious skit. I'm nervous this is a bad idea and we should just go with one of the comedy ideas we came up with.

What are your opinions on comedy skits and serious skits? And does anyone have advice on performing either comedy or serious skits?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hanji (AoT)
Maika (V3)
Cokohi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
kandell
the cookie angel

I think the thing is...lots of cosplayers *think* it's easier to perform a comedy. Most of the "comedy" skits that I've seen are jokes that are so specific to the anime/game that most of the audience doesn't understand it. Or the comedy is too forced and doesn't seem natural to the characters involved.

Also, I feel it's typically easier to gauge audience reaction to comedies. When you make a joke, you either hear laughter or you don't. In a serious skit, it's really difficult to tell if you've affected the audience.

Personally I don't have a preference, mostly because I rarely ever see serious skits at cons.

Whichever genre you do, be very illustrative with your movements. Be overly expressive, because small facial expressions or movements aren't as noticeable on-stage. Be creative with your blocking. Two characters that stand in the same spot will get boring compared to two characters that move around.

Anime Iowa '14
Asuna Yuuki
Ren Hakuei
Sam Manson

Nebraskon '14
Erza Scarlet
Sailor Moon
Femme!Simon Tam
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandell View Post
Most of the "comedy" skits that I've seen are jokes that are so specific to the anime/game that most of the audience doesn't understand it.
THIS.

The occasional in-joke is fine, but your skit has to be understandable to people who don't know your fandom. Not only will there be plenty of people in the audience who aren't in your fandom, but the judges might not be either. If a good chunk of the audience doesn't get it, they're all going to be bored. If the judges don't get it, you won't get a single prize.

Try practicing in front of a friend or family member who knows nothing about your fandom. If they understand what's going on, then you should be fine in that regard.

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses