Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #61
InsertNameHere4
Geostigma Vincent! ^__^

As a Drama Kid, I'm natrually drawn to these discussions and I now would like to put my 2-cents in.

I have not had the fortune (or misfortune) to sit through a masq yet. I would have participated in the one at Izumicon 07 had I not been forced to leave because of the performance of my school's One-Act Play (which I was the sound girl). As a COmpetitive Drama Kid, I've been to drama tournaments and seen the events contained within and so my examples and suggestions will be drawn from these places.

Now, I understand that lots of cosplayers are not actors nor have had any theatrical training. But, I think, that if you truly enjoy the character enough to spend hours working on their costume, you should at least know enough about the character to be IN character at any given time/ situation, even if you are portraying an alternate take on their personality. This is obviously what the "play" means in "cosplay". Anyways, it is my belief that if you can play a character in a hallway then you can play them against any music given to you. All you have to do is decide what a character would do with the given music. This takes a bit of interpreting on the cosplayer's part, but can be done if the music is heard before hand. Music can be a powerful thing, especially when used correctly. I do believe that a walk-on can be as good as, or better, than a skit. Especially if it has a clear begining, middle, and end. From reading around, the skits from most sound pretty bad. Again, this is mainly because of lack of effort. You need to practice it more than once, k? It is the same thing for a walk on, know what you're doing at ANY given moment so you can maximize your performance time.

As Per Judging: If you want to get sum critiques, I think the judges should be given individual ballots by the masq. directors. This will ensure that everyone recieves SOME kind of feedback on a fairly equal level. That is not to say that said judges will give bad critiques, we get some from drama competitons that aren't helpful and can occassionally say "nice shirt." Of course, the ballots would have to have an equal "performance" and "workmanship" spaces.

Anyways, all I can say for now.

"All the world's a stage and we are it's players."
~William Shakespeare, The Bard

Prince Nuada can kick Legolas's ass!
InsertNameHere4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #62
xX_Yuffie_Xx

Being in character and having good posses and music and stuff like that is very important yes. But having fun and having a lot of energy is also a part of it. Even somehting planned out really well can be kind of boring when the cosplayers arent having fun with it, ya know? So yeah thats all I had to say
-.-
xX_Yuffie_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #63
OsukaXArino
Shadow of the Sands

true.. i agree PAM I plan to not really rehearse anything and if I go and feel like doing something my friend and I may do something. Being narutards we'd just go with it and such..still not sure of how the whole cosplay theatere thing works though
OsukaXArino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #64
Nightflame
conservationist

A song would be good.Or you could do a funny or dramatic skit. It is kind of hard with one to two people though.
Nightflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #65
OsukaXArino
Shadow of the Sands

yeah... my friend and me had thought of a shinobi fight since we both are much more skilled than earlier mentioned... and we'd probably use music to flow with it...more like a kata than an actual fight
OsukaXArino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #66
Salan Trong

I have to admit, I'm having this probalem as well. It's 2 weeks to con, and I filled out my App form, but now I have no clue what to do on stage! I'm going as Pink Dress Kairi. Any in put at all will be helpful. I've done this once before, before the costume was really finished, and all I did was walk on, wave walk off. With that kind of history I think any ideas will be helpful. but I plan on having either a keyblade or a paupu fruit with me this time.
Planned Cons: MomoCon 2011(AA or staff), GenCon 2011, Dragon*Con 2011(staff), AWA 2011(staff), SeishunCon 2011(staff), Play-On-Con 2012, hopefully, MetroCon 2011. Yes, I go to all of the cons in Georgia. I try hard not to miss anything. Now I can walk into a panel, and have people call out my name. That makes me happy. Yes, I am running low on sleep at the time of this typing.

Planned Costumes:
5% Maylene - Kuroshitsuji
95% Canada!
80% America
20% England
65% Hungary
Salan Trong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #67
ende-zeiten
Fanatica

What would you think if you saw Spider-Man walk up there and do a fashion show thingy and then start doing the Napoleon Dynamite dance.
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #68
Diablobasher

I'm not quite sure what a walk on is, i get the impression it's a very small skit just to show off your costume? Is that right?

If so do something short and punchy. If simply walking on, twirling or whatever then walking off is boring (sounds it) then do something actiony.

For example, if you're allowed sound effects then and action(this is just an example i thought of, involving action style characters) then you could have one (or two) characters, run onto the stage to the sound of gunshots and take cover maybe behind props (if your allowed them. Although probably not allowed it would be great if someone could dive behind a couch and ust whatever movies use for creating gunshots hitting the sofa) then look for a way out before throwing a grenade or something back the way they came, then exiting to the sound of the explosion.

Again im not sure if i understand what a walk on fully is, but a short punchy skit like that would get my attention if others were simply walking on and off again.

Ghost in the Shell - Batou 20%
Umbrella Corp Security - 80%

Costume wishlist:
Team Fortress 2 - The Heavy (Red)
Asteroth (not the purple freak with the hammer, the Axe-ified version, bald)
Diablobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #69
Mekou
Meow~

Diablebasher - A good walk on should be a small solo (or two-person, or even group) performance. With good action, and possibly even music.

Sadly, most people always think it means "you just walk on, then walk off", which does happen but that's not all it's supposed to be. (It happenes because it really is hard to think of something (in character and) interesting to do, especially if you're going solo. @_@)

>> I'm not quite sure what a walk on is, i get the impression it's a very small skit just to show off your costume? Is that right?

Yes, that's what it is. Unlike a full skit, the costume is supposed to be the focus.

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Mekou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #70
Diablobasher

Oh ok, then something like i said might be a good idea. A small action scene relevent to that/those characters that allows you to show off your costume without being boring.

Ghost in the Shell - Batou 20%
Umbrella Corp Security - 80%

Costume wishlist:
Team Fortress 2 - The Heavy (Red)
Asteroth (not the purple freak with the hammer, the Axe-ified version, bald)
Diablobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #71
Kagato
Madman Without A Box

This thread has gotten me thinking. I did a walk on last year at my first Masquarade, and I'll be doing a walk on again this year. I really want to make it interesting.
Kagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #72
ChiyoChan
Grooviexscorp

How about putting dramatic battle music so you can perform some battle poses.

That kind of acting can be very graceful to watch. =D
ChiyoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 01:09 AM   #73
Bloody Rose
~:Dark Queen:~

Have an armour maulfanction. With it stopping you from raising your hands or jamming you stuck. The other person to have a wtf moment and in the end to be like "uhh...dude...do you like need help 'cause I'd love to do a battle here ya kno?" and then make that one pull you in place, but get stuck in your armour or something like that, then hopping off behind the curtain or something like that. Or in the end get unstuck, and do a ta-da thing to the audience, and run/jump/skip away from the scene

Remember: comedy makes things funner and more memorable
Bloody Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #74
phiexos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Rose View Post
Have an armour maulfanction. With it stopping you from raising your hands or jamming you stuck. The other person to have a wtf moment and in the end to be like "uhh...dude...do you like need help 'cause I'd love to do a battle here ya kno?" and then make that one pull you in place, but get stuck in your armour or something like that, then hopping off behind the curtain or something like that. Or in the end get unstuck, and do a ta-da thing to the audience, and run/jump/skip away from the scene

Remember: comedy makes things funner and more memorable

I love that idea. I really do. 8D If anyone has done that, video please!
phiexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #75
AngieRikku
Disasteriffic!

These are all great ideas! I'm going to try to enter again this year... persistence much? =P But If they don't like the idea of an elaborate walk-on then I will try some of the skit ideas you guys have posted. =3 Any other ideas?
AngieRikku is offline   Reply With Quote