Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #121
amethystducky
Beep Beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk View Post
It is? I'm still a bit fuzzy on my definitions. I didn't know it switched from being a walk on to a skit so quickly.
I think that counts as a skit. A walk on it just a couple of poses in character; you've got your self a script there!
Also, I'd love to see your cosplay when its done.
----------
Now for me; I'm doing just a walk on, again, and I'm cosplaying Boris from Usavich. He's a russian police officer (militsiya) so...

I'm planning on marching on, rifle held against chest like a soldier. Posed like that for a few seconds, then crouching down and aiming the rifle to the audience, holding that pose pretending to fire, sweeping across the audience. Standing, saluting, turning around wiggling my bunny tail ( which will have a spring in it so it wobbles) and marching off. The music is prepared by the con so I can't change it.

Does this sound like a good walk on, anything need changing?

Unread 07-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #122
xX_Soul_Navo_Xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
I cannot disagree more, Novaraven. Not everybody goes only to see skits, and quite frankly from my personal experience (having both seen and judged many masquerades) skits are not always good. In fact, really great skits are pretty rare. It's a fact that the more people you have to organize, the more things can go wrong. MOST skits tend to be merely tolerable at best, for various reasons - not well-planned, too many in-jokes, bad sound, goes on too long, ruined by a bad/nonsensical ending, etc.

I do NOT support the attitude that if someone doesn't have a multi-person skit then they don't belong onstage. I've seen many powerful, impressive solo presentations that were miles ahead of most skits. There are of course stand-out examples in both types, but to say that walk-ons are always boring is as bad as saying that skits are always too long and stupid. Both can be true sometimes, but not always.

If people want to see a show comprised of nothing but people going onstage and trying to do bad comedy, they should stick to their highschool talent shows. Masquerades are, as far as I know, still about COSTUMES to some degree. Skits should work together with the costumes to create a full presentation, and just because someone doesn't have a group doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to show off their hard work onstage in a dramatic, impressive fashion (rather than just a runway-style fashion show).
I totally agree
xX_Soul_Navo_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #123
Palaven
I like big boats.

Although I've been going to cons for 5 years now, I've never been to a cosplay contest. This year is the first year I've finally got the guts to join the contest.

I have an idea of what it's like for skits and whatnot, but I have no idea what to do for my walk on. I have some music planned out, but I'm not sure how long I should cut it down to.

My problem is actually what to do up there. I don't just want to walk up and do a circle, but I have no idea what else to do.

My character is usually almost always seen with a prop and I don't have enough time to make it. She has a vibrant personality, everywhere from shy and sweet to blast-your-face-off angry, but she doesn't really have any defined poses.

Help please? Thank you.

Working On:
Sailor Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R ◈ 0%
Planned: Morrigan ◈ Darkstalkers
Sailor Mini Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R (for sister) | BB Hood ◈ Darkstalkers (for sister)
Conventions 2012: Taste of Animethon ◈ CCEE ◈ Animethon

[ Tumblr ] ◈ [ Deviantart ]
Palaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #124
Curucar

I'm sort of in the same situation as the above poster. Except I've been sheepishly walking on for about 5-6 years now. I'd like to add some pizazz to my stage presence by adding a bit of coregraphy. Which is waaay out of my comfort zone. Might anybody have any tips on where to start?
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #125
SilverSteam
Cosplay? What Cosplay?

hey my first skit was me intentionally falling on my face as i entered...try that..people laugh...it might be at you but still....
  • Derpy Hooves Formal Cosplay: 0%

Upcoming cons
  • MTAC
SilverSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #126
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Time-wise, 30 seconds is great for an extended walk-on. It may not sound like much, but 30 seconds alone on stage with just your music playing is an eternity. Get a watch and sit in silence for 30 seconds while it ticks and see for yourself. You don't HAVE to fill all 30 seconds, it could be a little shorter or a little longer, and you could always pad on a little extra music to fade out at the end, but that's a good ballpark to aim for.

In truth, you know your character better than anyone else - this goes for replica characters, too. You've been studying them long enough to create the costume, you've probably seen them from all angles, doing all kinds of things. Draw from that in order to know what they would do when walking, posing, etc. Are they a fighter? A dancer? Royalty? Civilian? Military? Are they showing a serious side? A funny one? Cute? Angry? See if you can tell a very brief story with your actions on stage - literally a 30 second one. You want to use the time to give the audience a sketch of what your character is like. While simultaneously showing off all sides of the costume and any tricks it does.

Don't hesitate to use the emcee to facilitate your performance, if the way the masquerade is set up allows for it. If they allow you to have the emcee read a short blurb either right before or DURING your on-stage performance, do it. You don't have to summarize the entire series/game/movie and your character's life story, that's boring, but you can use the emcee to introduce generally what you are, or to give a teaser line, or even a punchline after the walk-on is over. Try not to have the emcee read a giant block of text over silence and THEN start your music and walk-on, though. That just drags out the entry and is boring. If you want them to read something, try to have it done over the music, or over the start at least, while you enter.

And always ENTER and EXIT while in character. Don't wait to get out in the middle of the stage to be in-character, and don't drop character the second you complete your circle or take your bow. Vague example: a sexy, sensual vamp type of character would prowl out on stage, do whatever she's going to do in the middle to appeal to the audience and show the costume, and then prowl towards the exit but maybe stop and blow a kiss over her shoulder right before she vanishes behind the curtain.

If you're really at a loss for anything involving poses or movements, the bare minimum of a good walk-on is to make a figure-eight. That is, enter, cross all the way over to the front of the opposite side of the stage, turn, walk along the front to the other corner, turn, and cross back toward the exit. That ensures that all of your costume can be seen, and you take up more time/cover more of the stage area than just walking out and doing a spin.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #127
D'Rose

Although this was a large group walk on- one of the best I saw was a Final Fantasy XIII Agito walk on, the music was perfect and each character came out beginning with the main, then the main three then all the other's to form this exact pose:

http://www.ffcompilation.co.uk/ffxii...Characters.jpg

It looked really impressive.
D'Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #128
Aleiki

Oh man, you guys, this thread is so great. Thanks so much for having such a long conversation about this--I think it needed to be talked about. I remember the first time I saw a walk-on, I didn't even know what they were and it was in the middle of a bunch of skits, so I was really confused and didn't like it, because I was expecting skits. Even just after reading this thread, I am SO much more appreciative of walk-ons, and I hope there are some creative ones at the next cosplay contest I go to.

Reading this thread has actually inspired me... I've been thinking about going on stage with a costume one day for quite a while, but right now I'm making the first costume I'll have made mostly by myself, and considering putting it into a Novice category in a contest. I got such great ideas reading this thread, and I really hope that come the deadline, I'll have it finished so I can muster up my courage and enter. I've been acting for years so the stage is nothing new to me, but... a theater audience is very different from a con audience. XD' So... I'm a bit nervous just thinking about this.

But seriously, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It's a whole lot of inspiration, and it gives walk-ons a new look : >
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 02:33 AM   #129
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

So I'm doing a walk on with my Nurse Joy cosplay and I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to have the Pokemon Center music from the game playing, but do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to make my walk on not boring?
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #130
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyhrah View Post
So I'm doing a walk on with my Nurse Joy cosplay and I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to have the Pokemon Center music from the game playing, but do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to make my walk on not boring?
Are you going to have any props with you? Having Nurse Joy -and- the Poke' Center song is a great opportunity to use props-- Pokemon or Pokeballs, Potions, thermometers, whatever-- to your advantage. You could walk out with a Pokemon, pose in a cute "oh, no!" fashion like it's sick, then walk to your next spot, pose again and check its heartbeat or feed it medicine (just some other type of healing interaction) then in the last pose give it a cute hug or a "hooray!" pose or something conclusive to the little pose-story.

Just be very in character with your poses and mannerisms, and everyone should squeal and coo appropriately. <3

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #131
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

That's a good idea. I'll start looking for a pokemon plushie :3
Thanks!
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #132
Sisshi
Sexy Leg Woman

What I find that works best is figure out a set of three poses (from my experience with walkons, it's usually 3 poses) that both show your costume off well and work for your character. You spent the time working on it, let it be shown off right.

At least one should be a full frontal. If there is work done on the back (like details and whathaveyou) a back shot or turned enough that the audience gets a good shot from behind.

One last thing, make sure you hold the pose long enough for pictures! Count to three mississippi while holding each pose, and that is usually enough time for a few shots.
Animarathon: White Mage (Final Fantasy)
GarasuNoShiCon: Aranea (Homestuck)

My binding results with the Underworks compression shirt, Check it out ^^
Sisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #133
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

I need some walk on tips..
I'm going as Sakura from Tsubasa, in her Chess Master outfit.
http://www.ipicstorage.com/wp-conten...r-1024x819.jpg

I have no clue what to do for a walk on though... I'm thinking Emilie Autumn for the music, because it fits with the costume (Who says I have to use Japanese music anyway? .. Certainly not the convention organizers)
But, I don't know what else to do.. I might have a white Mokona plushie with me as a prop.. But, I'm not sure.
Unread 05-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #134
vocaloid_fan

~wow I got some really good tips here..thank you.
vocaloid_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #135
tboake

I videotaped all of the Masquerade entries for Anime North in Toronto last week. You can see them here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tboake2000

Biggest suggestion for a walk on is to make sure not to move so fast. Too many almost run across the stage. Make sure that you go to the center of the stage, flourish the turn around as if you are a fashion model. Show off any parts of your costume or props that are special. If you have a cape on or something that covers a lot of the costume, maybe take it off so that people can see the entire costume. Mostly try to make it memorable for the audience. If they allow music, make sure it is something that works with your costume or series. It is terrible to see someone try to sing or talk on stage without a taped CD playing as only the first couple of rows can hear you.
tboake is offline   Reply With Quote