Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 06-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
MisatoNpenpen
Eskimo sister

going to Japan and cosplaying

I'm heading out to Japan after this year's AX.. and I was wondering what kind of information anyone might have for Comiket or World cosplay summit (preferably from experience). I know you can cosplay at comiket and you have to dress there, but I'm not sure about WCS unless you are competing? which.. america isn't even allowed to do, right?
Anyway, I've never been to a con in Japan, and I'd really appreciate any of the information I can get about it! Do you have to buy con passes? (I think you don't but I'm not sure) Also, hotel kind of stuff? I'm basically trying to plan ahead, because most of my friends in Japan don't really know much about the conventions.
I appreciate it!
MisatoNpenpen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Don Marmoto

Hi, Im going to Japan for WCS and comiket as well, Im not cosplayer, just cosmaker but I can get you some info since I will go with the mexican team for WCS and I know the organizers. let me ask about those oints cause I also have the doubt, one can participate on the cosplay parade on the OSU district of nagoya held on august 4th and also you can cosplay on the championship event on 5th, but I need to ask how and were can poeple get dress and so.

for comiket, is my firts time there but some frineds told me it is very restricted and crowded, but is a very good spot to show your work, also I heard there is other event that is cool very close to the tokyo big sigth, less retricted.

as soon as I get info about wcs and maybe hotels I will let you know
Don Marmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
MisatoNpenpen
Eskimo sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Marmoto View Post
Hi, Im going to Japan for WCS and comiket as well, Im not cosplayer, just cosmaker but I can get you some info since I will go with the mexican team for WCS and I know the organizers. let me ask about those oints cause I also have the doubt, one can participate on the cosplay parade on the OSU district of nagoya held on august 4th and also you can cosplay on the championship event on 5th, but I need to ask how and were can poeple get dress and so.

for comiket, is my firts time there but some frineds told me it is very restricted and crowded, but is a very good spot to show your work, also I heard there is other event that is cool very close to the tokyo big sigth, less retricted.

as soon as I get info about wcs and maybe hotels I will let you know
thank you!
Unread 06-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
KimaLucifer
Fantasista

Comiket has standards for cosplaying like:

Props cannot be over 1 meter long.
You must register to cosplay (a cosplay registration fee @_@).

If you`re used to American conventions these events will be rather culture shocking since they`re run quite differently.
KimaLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
MisatoNpenpen
Eskimo sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimaLucifer View Post
Comiket has standards for cosplaying like:

Props cannot be over 1 meter long.
You must register to cosplay (a cosplay registration fee @_@).

If you`re used to American conventions these events will be rather culture shocking since they`re run quite differently.
lol I somehow doubt Japan would be a culture shock to me at all- I don't experience that kind of stuff..
but yeah I read that you can't have anything that 'resembles a weapon' at comiket so I don't really understand how you're supposed to have props at all
Unread 06-18-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
KimaLucifer
Fantasista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisatoNpenpen View Post
lol I somehow doubt Japan would be a culture shock to me at all- I don't experience that kind of stuff..
but yeah I read that you can't have anything that 'resembles a weapon' at comiket so I don't really understand how you're supposed to have props at all
Well basically the only "props" allowed are pretty much a BOX. A FFAC cosplay with a Jenova Box = Okay.

I really suggest you go to a different event if you insist on cosplaying full-blown out
KimaLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
piinku

There might be better events for it - I think Comiket puts selling comics first, and cosplayers second. But still, there was a great variety of nice costumes when I was there. I took a lot of pictures, and had mine taken a lot too. I think the prop restrictions are nothing larger than 30 cm - I can see that, it was sooo crowded. But I don't really think you'll experience 'culture shock' - there are some differences, like remaining in the cosplay area to take pictures/have yours taken, changing in a room with a hundred other girls/guys, and the extra security/restrictions about where you can go. But I still think you'll have a good time. Culture shock is more something you experience if you're staying in Japan for a long period of time. If you're only here a short time, the newness of it all won't wear off. Culture shock is more what happens when a person has to adjust and adapt to living in a completely different cultural or social environment. And it's Tokyo - every time I go there I'm reminded how much more English the average person speaks and how much more comfortable they are interacting with non-Japanese than the rest of Japan. Respect the rules (as long as they're honest mistakes, they'll understand if you can't speak Japanese) and you'll have a good time.

Other than the heat... I went to winter Comiket, I'm not sure what cosplaying in Tokyo August heat will be like T_T

Have a great time! I don't live in Tokyo but visit there every now and then, PM me if you have any questions
Unread 06-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Ooooh, how long will you be in Japan? I have to miss Summer Comiket but I'll be there soon after and staying long enough for Winter Comiket.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
MisatoNpenpen
Eskimo sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Ooooh, how long will you be in Japan? I have to miss Summer Comiket but I'll be there soon after and staying long enough for Winter Comiket.
I got there right after AX and I leave right after comiket!

Thanks for the help so far, I hope this will all go smoothly!!
Unread 06-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Oh darn. XD I don't arrive until August 29.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
nadesico81
Cosplay Anime Otaku

Winter Comiket

Hello Every one

Im going to Winter Comiket to cosplay. I have been cosplaying for quite some time and am looking forward to Comiket. I was stationed in Japan for 2 years on the island of Okinawa for the USAF.

I am looking for people to cosplay with and or get together with before or after comiket. I have just bought the plane ticket today to Japan. It will be nice to finaly take some time off.
nadesico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
raygo
Banned

yeah, me too

any japan convention experts out there? i'm also heading over to japan next month for an extended stay and was wondering if anyone had an event schedule or anything (yokohama or tokyo, anyone?).

AX was a lot of fun this year, and i can only expect more craziness over there.

raygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
Anime's Angel
Songstress Yuna

i heard about dat. i'm going 2 japan 2. i have 2 say um...do u no japanese? it's more fun if u do.
Anime's Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #14
Don Marmoto

I have fresh news about WCS in Nagoya

1. any cosplayer is welcome to participate on the cosplay parade held in Osu festival in Nagoya, they will have a changing room (knowing the japanese cosplay style it should be an open place for each gender like comiket)

2. Cosplayers are welcome on OASIS 21 http://www.sakaepark.co.jp/info.html
to watch the championship, an award to best costume in audience will be given, selected by the WCS staff

we will be there to support the Mexican team
Don Marmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
MisatoNpenpen
Eskimo sister

I know japanese