Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Closed Thread
Unread 06-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
MilesEdgeworth
Androgynous Suspect

Nudity In Cosplay

How acceptable is nudity in cosplay at Anime North? I know this year someone dressed as Zangeif from Street Fighter (and did such an awesome job of it, too), and was basically walking around in in a red thong and a pair of shoes.

Next year, one of the two characters I plan to cosplay as is entirely naked. Would it be acceptable for me to walk around wearing tight, skin coloured shorts/thong/whatever to only cover my naughty male bits while being otherwise naked?

Unread 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

Why would you want to dress as a naked person? Isn't that an oxymoron of some kind, since it's not really cosplay, it's an entire LACK of cosplay. The whole point of cosplaying is that you are wearing SOMETHING.
Unread 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
The*Fallen*One*
Cosplay Crazy

Well, the rules for cosplay state that as long as you are wearing some type of clothing that covers your private parts, then it is acceptable and you will not be asked to leave/be arrested for indecent exposure. Even if it is a skin-tight bodysuit or just a tight, flesh-coloured underwear, it is still considered to be clothing, so you should be alright.

Upcoming Cosplays:

SOUL LARP 2010: Nyanne - Male Mithra Dragoon

Otakuthon 2010:
Fri: Nyanne
Sat: Nyanne
Sun: Edward Elric (FMA)

Future Cosplays:
Shugo - .hack//
Steampunk Gunner
TRON Sora
Unread 06-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Kia
Queen of Tacky Costumes

Like the masquerade rules say, "No costume, is no costume". Technically, you might be able to get away with it, if you are fully covered in all the areas that, if not covered, would cause you to be arrested for indecent exposure, but why would you want to chance it? Plus, Anime North is a family convention. Plenty of parents take their children to the convention, and I can almost guarentee you that none of them would appreciate you walking around making people think that you were nude. That alone might be enough to have security ask you to leave. Do you really want to chance that?

To add to that, Anime North is a private function. They can make their own dress code and standards for what you can and can't get away with. Just because you can't be arrested for being naked, doesn't mean that the con will appreciate your costume/display and will let you get away with it. I've heard of people walking around in towels calling them costumes, and being asked to return to their hotel room and change into something else. I'd keep those things in mind before wearing a costume like that in public.

[Kia's 2012 Convention Season:]
[Con-G - Ad Astra 31 - Anime North - Polaris 26]

[Planned costumes for 2012:]
[NEW: Suki/Lily/Mime]
[TO FINISH: Sakura/Ayumi
]

Last edited by Kia : 06-18-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Unread 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Nagii
Number Eleven

I just would like to state, that though Anime North is a family event, most of the attendees are of the much older crowd. And if families do have an issue, they shouldn't let their children watch anime period, as it also is ranged to the older crowd. Plus a majority of parents don't let their kids attend Anime North until they are of decent age, because most parents would rather not be tagging along and being bored to death.

As for the question, go ahead and chance it. Nudity is a natural and beautiful thing, people shouldn't be offended as there is a different between naked and nude. Actually in many tales, nudity is a such of innocence. As long as your manly parts are decently covered, even with flesh underwear, you should be fine. Because your not totally nude if you have clothing on and if your outfit is going to be a flesh colored undies, then no one should complain.

Though if you are wearily, wear it on the last day there, that way if anything goes wrong, you wouldn't feel so bad. You know, pay for the whole weekend and get banned the first or second day is abit bummer. Also, there is alot of bad people in Toronto, so I wouldn't wear it during times that could put you in danger.

Friday: C.A Cupid (Ever After High)
Saturday: Lizzie Hearts (Ever After High)
Sunday: Viperine Gorgon (Monster High basic)

Transformers Con 2014 - IDW Chromia

Last edited by Nagii : 06-18-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Unread 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

By all means, do it if you don't mind being Cosfu'd.

Really man, nobody wants to see that. The Zangeif was disturbing enough, and "Yatta" cosplayers aren't usually easy on the eyes.

It's not just guys getting that kind of backlash, of course. Check out the backlash a SnJ cosplayer's received here.

Just because it's covering the bare minimum doesn't mean it's not indecent. Seriously.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Unread 06-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Nagii
Number Eleven

Ooookay, there is a difference here. What she did was abit far. However, it would of been okay if she was wearing fleshed colored underwear with a flesh colored skintight body suit over and under those clouds. Then, it would be decent. Because instead of being really naked, she would be a nude and only give off the illusion of nudity.

Friday: C.A Cupid (Ever After High)
Saturday: Lizzie Hearts (Ever After High)
Sunday: Viperine Gorgon (Monster High basic)

Transformers Con 2014 - IDW Chromia
Unread 06-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagii View Post
Ooookay, there is a difference here. What she did was abit far. However, it would of been okay if she was wearing fleshed colored underwear with a flesh colored skintight body suit over and under those clouds. Then, it would be decent. Because instead of being really naked, she would be a nude and only give off the illusion of nudity.
A guy in a flesh-coloured Speedo would be wearing less coverage than that, though. The guy in the OP suggested a flesh-coloured THONG, even. A girl wearing styrofoam clouds is suddenly sounding more appealing...
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
MilesEdgeworth
Androgynous Suspect

The character I want to go "naked" as is from a very hilarious, yet climatic scene of a story where he's running around naked, covering his crotch with his hands while trying to hurry since his clothese were all stolen. I was thinking about even making an entire flesh coloured body suit simply so I wouldn't be walking around barefoot (too uncomfortable) with my hands over my crotch everywhere I went, along with a wig. The thing is though, just getting some flesh coloured underwear would be a lot easier.

This is why I was wondering if it's appropriate for Anime North, and what their dress code is when it comes to cosplay (obviously naughty bits must be covered in some way).
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
ky--Ice--
Temptation kicked my butt

I have gathered a few points on this subject:

DEFENCE
-Anime North is a family con, and kids (Even Teenagers such as myself) would rather NOT see a almost-nude guy walking around
-Parents might see something like this and think that they're kids are gettting into something inarppropreait

COUNTER:
-Kids, or anyone that doesn't was to see this kind of thing should avoid cons
-Rules state that it is allowed

MY SOUND ADVICE:
-I personally am doku-doku on the subject. I say that a bodysuit would be okay, though a flesh coloured THONG, or underwear...

I'll post more later
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

If you're going to do it, please wear a bodysuit!
If for no other reason than to give yourself somewhere other than your crotch to pin your convention badge. ^_~

And if you're going to wear a bodysuit, please, for the love of little fluffy bunnies, wear a dance belt! Prevent really embarrassing photos before they happen!

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
MilesEdgeworth
Androgynous Suspect

XD Thank you! I knew I was going to have to wear something under the body suit, and that would ber perfect. *Adds to list of things to purchase*
Unread 06-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #13
Mekou
Meow~

>> I know this year someone dressed as Zangeif from Street Fighter (and did such an awesome job of it, too), and was basically walking around in in a red thong and a pair of shoes.

Just to clarify for other readers, he wasn't in a thong. http://www.sfgalleries.net/art/mvc2/series1/zangief.jpg This is what the man was dressed in. Not a thong. Thong has a itty bitty string for a behind. This, at worst, is a speedo. =P And I thought his cosplay was awesome. He really fit the character.

Sorry, I just had to cralify. Because if you say "Guy in thong and boots" then everyone who never saw him will think that literally. Spreading false information is baaaad.

Anyways, I wouldn't advise this costume even if you are wear a bodysuit. Even though you are covered, it's just a bit inappropriate to intend to be naked, especially for a whole day/weekend/whatever.

But it's up to you. I just don't think Anime North is the best place for that sort of thing.

Anime North 2013
- Fionna (Adventure Time)
- GT Jade (Homestuck)

--
Con/Event Photos / CosplayLab / DeviantArt / Tumblr
Unread 06-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
MilesEdgeworth
Androgynous Suspect

My bad, I was calling it a thong by mistake. ^.^;
Unread 06-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
Koi
Promiscuous Boy

As long as it's not a skin tight body suit I don't see the problem. As long as you can leave your *cough* lower half to the imagination. Try wearing several layers. And skin coloured bike shorts wouldn't be so bad, I think you'd be too hot if you wore a whole body suit..