Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #346
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Shame on me, reviving this thread.

Lately I can no longer ignore the urge to cosplay Special Agent Pendergast from Preston and Child's co-authored best sellers. The thing is...I have a feeling it will be one of those obscure cosplays that no one will recognize. Oh well. When I have the time and the money to drop...I'm sure I'll get it done.
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #347
kAZbear

I'm glad this thread got revived, I've got a huge list of books from this thread to read that sound really interesting! On topic, working on a Kvothe cosplay, however I'm getting the cloak commissioned because I have no idea how I'd sew the pockets on.

Costumes in progress

Ness (Earthbound)
Iwamine Shuu (Hatoful Boyfriend)
kAZbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #348
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

After reading Cold Days, I've decided to go for it and make a new coat for Harry. Now that I know I need an Inverness coat (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) pattern and duck canvas, it should look amazing this time. I just have to wait to have the money to do it. Stupid being responsible and paying the bills first.

Working on:
Dr. Shannon Abbey, Rebecca Atherton, First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Jessie

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), Kevin Flynn (black robes)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #349
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogoeth05 View Post
After reading Cold Days, I've decided to go for it and make a new coat for Harry. Now that I know I need an Inverness coat (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) pattern and duck canvas, it should look amazing this time. I just have to wait to have the money to do it. Stupid being responsible and paying the bills first.
Be patient. You'll get you coat. I have a friend who cosplays Harry and everytime I see him in costume I just geek out over Bob. You could always make your new coat a bill. Put a little away each payday and so on.
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #350
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

So, I was just thinking about Warden cloaks. Is it ever mentioned in the books what kind of fabric they're made from? I'd like to make one after I eventually get a leather coat, but I don't know what kind of fabric to use. I know in White Night Harry mentions something about how easy it is to get grey corduroy fabric. But it's never said that they use that fabric for actual Warden cloaks. Grrr. It's so frustrating!

Working on:
Dr. Shannon Abbey, Rebecca Atherton, First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Jessie

Eventually:
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #351
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
So, I was just thinking about Warden cloaks. Is it ever mentioned in the books what kind of fabric they're made from? I'd like to make one after I eventually get a leather coat, but I don't know what kind of fabric to use. I know in White Night Harry mentions something about how easy it is to get grey corduroy fabric. But it's never said that they use that fabric for actual Warden cloaks. Grrr. It's so frustrating!
Oh the things that make us shake our fist at Jim Butcher. I'd say, based on the history of the order/group, it would likely be a wool or silk - materials that would have been available back in the day. I've always pictured them as being wool, personally, but I have a love of wool cloaks.

I'm leaning more towards wool, as opposed to silk, possibly a Melton wool? The cloaks are blood repellant (per the beginning of Proven Guilty), but can take damage due to the burning, staining, and other damage you see on the hem in Dead Beat. I'd say its not silk, since, we'll, it isn't quite as impressive or intimidating looking, usually, when in a cloak. Also, silk stains so very easily, and is a pain to clean (magic and protective spells aside).

(I'll keep looking, since I can search "warden" in my app, and pull up all instances of it. Makes looking for references easier.)

Convention Line-Up: BronyCon 2013 - Dragon*Con 2013
Eris (Female Discord, MLP:FiM), Casual Gala Pinkie Pie (MLP:FiM)
The 10th Doctor, blue suit variation (DW), Queen Mab's Party Dress (Dresden Files: Cold Days), Party Pirate Pinke Pie

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #352
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Ducky View Post
Oh the things that make us shake our fist at Jim Butcher. I'd say, based on the history of the order/group, it would likely be a wool or silk - materials that would have been available back in the day. I've always pictured them as being wool, personally, but I have a love of wool cloaks.

I'm leaning more towards wool, as opposed to silk, possibly a Melton wool? The cloaks are blood repellant (per the beginning of Proven Guilty), but can take damage due to the burning, staining, and other damage you see on the hem in Dead Beat. I'd say its not silk, since, we'll, it isn't quite as impressive or intimidating looking, usually, when in a cloak. Also, silk stains so very easily, and is a pain to clean (magic and protective spells aside).

(I'll keep looking, since I can search "warden" in my app, and pull up all instances of it. Makes looking for references easier.)
I've been thinking wool too! It just makes more sense than anything else. You'd think, as a LARPer himself, Jim would remember to put the little details like that in at least one of the books. Maybe if we make enough noise, he'll mention it in the next one.

Working on:

Eventually:
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #353
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

I like the idea of wool. There are so many varietys, blends, etc.
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #354
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
I've been thinking wool too! It just makes more sense than anything else. You'd think, as a LARPer himself, Jim would remember to put the little details like that in at least one of the books. Maybe if we make enough noise, he'll mention it in the next one.
I'm holding out hope he comes to Dragon*Con... Highly unlikely, but I can hope, right?

If he does, I'm going to the panel and just asking a bunch of questions about costume design in the books. Because everyone else would be asking the "tough" questions about the plot... But the thought of Queen Mab grilling him on fabric choices and inconsistencies makes me giggle to myself.

Also, I found a place that sells black wool Inverness coats. If you ever attend Renaissance festivals, there's a shop called Moresca - their coat the Carrick is almost exactly right. Just Melton wool, and expensive. Beautiful coat, but my Dresden would melt in it.

And more on topic ish, we got the Sheild Bracelet from our friend who was making it - I'll have to take some pictures of it, since it turned out pretty awesome. And he's now making me a second one with the remaining silver shields, based on the first one Dresden had.

Convention Line-Up: BronyCon 2013 - Dragon*Con 2013
Eris (Female Discord, MLP:FiM), Casual Gala Pinkie Pie (MLP:FiM)
The 10th Doctor, blue suit variation (DW), Queen Mab's Party Dress (Dresden Files: Cold Days), Party Pirate Pinke Pie

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #355
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Ducky View Post
I'm holding out hope he comes to Dragon*Con... Highly unlikely, but I can hope, right?

If he does, I'm going to the panel and just asking a bunch of questions about costume design in the books. Because everyone else would be asking the "tough" questions about the plot... But the thought of Queen Mab grilling him on fabric choices and inconsistencies makes me giggle to myself.

Also, I found a place that sells black wool Inverness coats. If you ever attend Renaissance festivals, there's a shop called Moresca - their coat the Carrick is almost exactly right. Just Melton wool, and expensive. Beautiful coat, but my Dresden would melt in it.

And more on topic ish, we got the Sheild Bracelet from our friend who was making it - I'll have to take some pictures of it, since it turned out pretty awesome. And he's now making me a second one with the remaining silver shields, based on the first one Dresden had.
He was there back in 2010. He tries to limit himself to one big con a year and rotate through them. He might be due for Dragon*Con again. If he is, I will so be there. Aside from it being a Jim Butcher panel, I want to see Queen Mab asking about clothing details.

Working on:

Eventually:
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #356
hitana89

I'm being very, very brave and doing my second book cosplay. This time, though, it will be for a public event (Anime Central) instead of just a costume to wear to a friend's Halloween party.

My first book cosplay was a Kender from the Dragonlance series (Not a specific character, just Kender.) I didn't worry at all about what the fabrics were or how everything coordinated, because that's just how a kender dresses (mismatched clothing that is often traded with other Kender they meet on their travels) The pictures were quite glorious and rather, well.... retina-burning. Especially once I got into character and started randomly grabbing people's things and keeping them for the rest of the night.

My second book cosplay will be much more subdued. I'm going as Karigan G'ladeon from the Green Rider series. Thankfully the first two book covers show the character in her Rider uniform, so I at least have some source material to base my design off of. The character is also a textile merchant's daughter, so her clothing is described in great detail. Unfortunately, as I don't have a ton of money at my disposal, I'll have to cut some corners (the coat will be microsuede instead of wool. It will also be in May, and wool doesn't sound too alluring for May weather...) I'm extremely excited for this cosplay, especially since the part of the costume I thought would be hardest to find (a gold winged horse brooch) was actually the easiest, as my mom happened to have one.
hitana89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #357
OswaldnOrtensia

First I want to say that I had a fun time reading through this entire thread and knowing things (like ASOIAF becoming super big).

As far as cosplays that I would love to do from books:
- Alice from the Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
- Lady Una or Yvaine from Stardust by Neil Gaiman
- Easter from American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- Adora Belle Dearheart, Granny Weatherwax or Magrat Garlick from the Discworld Series by Sir Terry Pratchett
- Princess Boa or one of the Fantomaya from The Books of Abarat by Clive Barker
- The Crooked Man from The Book of Lost Things by John Conolly

There are more but I can't think of them right now :]
OswaldnOrtensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #358
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswaldnOrtensia View Post
First I want to say that I had a fun time reading through this entire thread and knowing things (like ASOIAF becoming super big).

As far as cosplays that I would love to do from books:
- Alice from the Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
- Lady Una or Yvaine from Stardust by Neil Gaiman
- Easter from American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- Adora Belle Dearheart, Granny Weatherwax or Magrat Garlick from the Discworld Series by Sir Terry Pratchett
- Princess Boa or one of the Fantomaya from The Books of Abarat by Clive Barker
- The Crooked Man from The Book of Lost Things by John Conolly

There are more but I can't think of them right now :]
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of doing Pratchett cosplays.
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #359
MetalArtisan

So I have an awesome story about cosplaying characters from books.
I had just finished a suit of red and black scale armor, and I had also just had my hair bleached.
I am a *huge* Song of Ice and Fire fan, by the way.
I walk into a panel, and the host goes "Dude, look like a Targaryen."
"I am a Targaryen!"
"Are you Prince Rhaegar?"
"I am Prince Rhaegar!"
Hell yes. I was cosplaying as an obscure character from a book, and someone actually recognized me.
MetalArtisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #360
OswaldnOrtensia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of doing Pratchett cosplays.
I just want to cosplay as every single character ever from Prachett's Discworld series. I think my life would be complete after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalArtisan View Post
So I have an awesome story about cosplaying characters from books.
I had just finished a suit of red and black scale armor, and I had also just had my hair bleached.
I am a *huge* Song of Ice and Fire fan, by the way.
I walk into a panel, and the host goes "Dude, look like a Targaryen."
"I am a Targaryen!"
"Are you Prince Rhaegar?"
"I am Prince Rhaegar!"
Hell yes. I was cosplaying as an obscure character from a book, and someone actually recognized me.
I wouldn't call him that obscure. I mean, Dany names one of her Dragons after him. Storm of Swords goes on about him a bit, but I know what you mean :] It's always fun to be recognized.
OswaldnOrtensia is offline   Reply With Quote