Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Air Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Q-Tron

Air Trecks?

I really want a pair of Air Trecks that look exactly like the ones from the show, Air Gear. The only problem is I'm not sure on how to go about doing it. My best solution is to buy aggressive skates and use resin or plastic molding to make them more like Air Trecks. I'm still not sure how to do that or if I would still be able to fit the motors or potentiometers in the skates (oh, I forgot to mention I'm working on actual Air Trecks). I'm also not a good web searcher and I was wondering if anyone could find small motors around 2"x1"x.75" with a good foot-pound ratio. Any suggestions are welcome and please give me all of your thoughts because I'm dead out of them. Thanks guys.
Q-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
prismswordsman

Firstly, you can not buy a pair of skates that look exactly like the ones from the show. Your only chance would be to heavily modify a pair of normal inline skates or pay someone to do it for you.

Secondly, actual air treck technology (aka super suspension, tiny motors) does not exist. There is no current motor that could fit in a normal sized skate that could provide the necessary torque to get you moving, and there is no [small] power supply that could power that motor for more than a few minutes.
prismswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Ritsuki_Reji

prismswordsman is prolly right, i highly doubt that you could possibly do that, but hey its a good idea right? im actually gunna look into that it sounds like fun lol!
Ritsuki_Reji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
chris-chan
the one and only

with the right sized battery pack and a good setup, you could get a motor to power a set of inline skates. it will take some modification to make them look lke air treks though. or, you can go all out and make them from scratch using aluminum, fiberglass or even carbon fiber, or a mix of two of the above. but i hope that you know electrical, cause youre gonna need it no matter which direction you take. and yes, there probably is a motor out there that would work and is the right size, the way technology keeps going, it wouldnt surprise me. i would suggest looking at rc car motors. some of those are able to push those little cars to 60+ moh, so you could probably get about 10 mph with human weight and all added on. good luck though.
Unread 07-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
SunSurfAndAnime
Nappin' on the Beach

if you make them from scratch - or remove the wheel base on a normal brand of skates (normally heavily riveted on) and rebuild or build onto it you may be able to.

What I am suggesting is basically adding a bit of "platform" to the skate by making an area between the floor of the foot and the wheel base for electronics.

If you did it properly you could fit a higher torque motor using a gear assembly to power just the rear most wheel - and really once you get going inertia begins to take over. My only suggestion would be to add a press button in the typical rubber brake thats on most skates to stop and start the motor :P

Granted I've never seen the show, i'm just trying to be helpful from a technical stand point.
SunSurfAndAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Q-Tron

thx for the advice chris-chan...and yea i know a little about electronics and my dad's an electronic engineer... BUT i was wondering if u knew how i could make the skates from carbon fiber or aluminum...i'm sort of new to building things from scratch so i have no clue how these materials shape or mold...
Unread 07-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Yuki Souma
Needs a new avatar!

I've tried making Working Air Treks, using both RC Car motors/Engines.

For the RC motor, I just used a small chain to attach it to the wheel(Note: They looked ugly, and alittle lopsided, the motor was attached to the heel, and going to the back wheel) This way sorta worked, but the battery(Used an RC one+Speed control/etc) was alittle hard to fit in, I ended up taping it to my leg, and it hurt. I used the remote for throttle, since I Don't know how to do the controls they have in the show o.0 They worked decently, and were pretty quick, over heated though really fast, and it was alittle difficult to keep my balance if I pulled the throttle too quick.

I also tried doing it with a Nitro Enging out of my Savage. This one, well don't try it, it didn't end well.

Lots of power(For an RC engine, close to 1hp iirc), only downside is trying to find a place for fuel/electronics/etc. Is nearly impossible, the engine melted some of the plastic on the skate. Acceleration is alittle slow >.> But once you get going they went damn fast. The downside: If you even try to skate normally you damage the engine... I had to order a new piston+clutch plate.

Working ATs are a cool concept, but I dunno, Not worth the trouble making I think, Mine kept falling apart, and ended up getting banged up from falling over a few times, and they didn't really look like ATs anyway, more like frankenstiened foot wheels.

><
Yuki Souma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

I found this tutorial online, I hope it helps you:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...074911767006ML
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Q-Tron

actually i had planned on using a small gear motor and attaching a large gear directly to the wheel to increase torque so i don't have to worry about heavy equipment. as for the power, i plan on getting the best of technology i can and putting it into the custom built frames. i also wanted to get rechargeable
power so i wouldn't have to meddle around with the skates to change the batteries. to control the speed i plan on putting a pressure sensitive potentiometer around the toe area so the harder u push the faster u go...

the main concerns i have are the frames and the boots. i plan on using roller hockey skate boots and making the frames from scratch. i contemplated on using wonderflex but realized it wasn't quite strong enough. i want to use a strong fiber or metal of sorts. if u can find anything that i could use to CUSTOM build the frame please PM it to me because it's of great importance...
Unread 07-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
chris-chan
the one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Tron View Post
thx for the advice chris-chan...and yea i know a little about electronics and my dad's an electronic engineer... BUT i was wondering if u knew how i could make the skates from carbon fiber or aluminum...i'm sort of new to building things from scratch so i have no clue how these materials shape or mold...
no mold needed. just a welder, someone who knows how to weld aluminum, and fiberglass/carbonfiber material with epoxy ready. just make sure to triangulate the frame or it will break. pretty much lay everything out on paper first so as not to screw up anything. make sure you leave room in the frame for the motor and battery, or have the right trek motor powered and the left one contain the battery and just have a wire run up your leg and to the other trek. they dont seem like to difficult of a design, so it shouldnt be too hard. and fiberlass or carbon fibr isnt neede, it just adds some strength to the frame. i would also suggest using Li ion batteries cause they last longer and i think they give a little bit of extra torque to motors. (i use them in my halo hopper for paintbal and noticed my hopper actually fed faster than with regular energizer batteries). also, they have rechargable Li ion batteries, so that works out for you.
and like Yuki Souma said, dont use gas (nitro if you get rc one) powered engines. they have a slower acceleration time than electric one, and they have a higher speed, but youll have to devise a way of getting everything into your trek frames and then have to worry about refilling and all. plus, majority of those motors use a glow plug with pull start meaning you must insert a glow plug into the top of the motor and then try to pull start the engine to get t going, and it doesnt always appen on the first try. plus, youll frames will get really hot, pretty fast, so dont touch. also, they dont have the cool sound of electric motor.
and i never thought of a pressure sensitive switch in the shoe itself. pretty ingenious. my original plan was a wire connected to the trek with a throttle on the end to allow more energy to go through for more speed and brakes would be a simple slide or maybe a little brake at the back like on regular skates.
Unread 07-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Q-Tron

hey thx! i think i might use the lithium ion batteries and i think i can get them at radio shack which is convenient for me...

but i'm not sure if i could use the aluminum for the frames. i think i'm just going to mold some really strong plastic so i can form it to fit in the motors, switches, and power sources...

but before i do any of this i'm going to get some styrofoam and make a model of the way i want the frames to look. then i'm going to make a reverse mold with clay and "pour melted plastic into it?" i'm not sure what to do from there but my aunt is pretty crafty and i'm going to her house to make it...

thx for all the help dude. with the combined ideas of all of u guys i've got a good idea of what i'm doing...
Unread 07-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
chris-chan
the one and only

that reversed mold idea doesnt sound too good. youll have to hollow out the frame and all to make room for everything, cut out a lot of pieces and all. but making a styrofoam mold first is an excellent idea. remember, you can measure two times, but only screw up once. in other words, you can get the right measurement everytime you measure, but if you cant it wrong or the measurements off after you cut, youre screwed. good luck though, and after posting all of these, i now wanna make my own pair. i wonder if its possible to make a pair aroud an old pair of shoes i have.
Unread 07-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
Q-Tron

actually starting with an old pair of shoes is a good start...all u have to do is make the frame (the part i'm having troubles with) and somehow attach it to the shoe...also, make sure the shoe has good ankle support or they will hurt alot to ride...
Unread 07-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
SunSurfAndAnime
Nappin' on the Beach

I'm seriously considering planning a way to do this.

I look forward to hearing more about how you do it Q-tron.

I've been doing research for like the past few hours, and I've got a lot of ideas

For instance, building the wheels myself and creating high torque, in-wheel dc motors (or attempting to find suitable ones for sale but the more I look the more I think I'd have better results creating the electronics and fabricating the wheels).

I still feel only the rear wheel would need to be powered but if I could build it into both then immense speeds could be reached when both are used as active motors for a type of "turbo" mode and during normal operation the front wheel could be used as a dc generator if a brushed motor was used (since it's the only kind that outputs DC).

Then, by using li Ion batteries in some formation along with the generator idea, when the motors are inactive normal human powered skating could provide substantial if not complete charge to the batteries.

Oh, yeah and scratch that "I haven't seen the anime" comment earlier - t'was part of my research and I love it. haha I'll be watching the rest tonight o.o

I'm planning on dissecting that opening scene where it shows a 3D view of how their air treks are designed cause it gave me several more ideas. Such as a weight balanced speed control (via using two of the sensors Q-tron mentioned) so that when you naturally lean forward to balance yourself and put more weight on the balls of your feet you can speed up while if you put all your weight on your heel (like in typical inline skates) and lift off the ball you slow and stop.

It's really surprising how viable these things really are - at least in a limited capacity compared to the show

speaking of which - i'm off to watch more ^^

Thanks for introducing me to it guys!
SunSurfAndAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
Yuki Souma
Needs a new avatar!

yeah, I think we're a few years from micro motors like the ones in the show being readibly available, specifically durable ones. :\ Also, focus on getting them working before making them look good XD
Yuki Souma is offline   Reply With Quote