Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Air Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #16
chris-chan
the one and only

yeah, i started watching the series today too and fell in love with it! right now im on episode 11 and hoping to get to 20 by the time i go to bed. (1:30ish). and that generator idea is a good one. never thought of that either or the two switches for speeding and braking. yall are coming up with more and more ideas. and the shoes im thinking about planning mine on are year old etnies. dont know if theyd have enough support, but i need a new pair of shoes anyway and if i can make a frame that the shoe slides into so i can take it out and wear them regularly, i could probably take them to school and wear them (community college). and doesnt watching the anime and talking about the treks make you want to go out and make a pair, or is it just me? the more i talk about it the more i wanna make them. fell free to pm me if yall want to talk about this somemore just in case the thread gets lost again. oh, and could yall post a list of possible parts and where you can get them at along with price? thanks, ill try to find some and post those, but id love to see what yall guys are gonna use.

Unread 07-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #17
Q-Tron

yay for Air Gear fans!!!!!!! and no it's not just u...as soon as i saw it i went out on my rollerblades again for the first time in months...i have made a practical list of parts and i'll PM it to u when i get it compiled on Cosplay.com...me and sunsurfandanime had a long convo about the best way to make them and how they could be mass produced and all of that...also, the shoes u have are skateboard shoes so they should have great ankle support as long as they're tied...if u wanna get in on mine and sunsurtandanime's little AT thing then just PM us ur ideas...i'm making a schedule so i can actually get things done without procrastinating...if we all make a pair we can work out the kinks together so we don't have the complications of figuring it out for ourselves...also, go to this link i have...it has alot of air treck pictures that should halp u build them... http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...%20Trecks/
Q-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
chris-chan
the one and only

thanks man. and that mass production idea sounds pretty good. and yeah, i wouldve gone out on my skates if they hadnt been thrown away cause they were too small. i should probably start making a list of products i plan to use. im thinking about finding the strongest motor on the market and putting it on a pair so i know it could move me (i weigh 220 lbs). ill see what i can find and id love to get into yalls conversation. like i said, feel free to pm me.
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #19
Q-Tron

the problem i can see you having is enough torque (which i'm luckily not to have much of because i weigh 98 lbs).....to increase torque i suggest using a standard gear motor with a small gear at the end...attach a larger gear with more teeth directly to the wheel to increase torque...this works because the power operated to rotate a small 5 tooth gear 10 times will only rotate the larger gear once...that means more power put into one rotation...that larger of step u have the more torque u get...the only downfall is a loss in speed...for smaller people like me, it will be hard to find a good balance without too much torque or speed...alot of tinkering i expect...

although the motor is a big leap to make...i fear making the frames will be extremely time-taking...i would like frames that look like AT's and function...i have no experience in making things from scratch so that sounds really difficult for me to do...but that's also gonna be the first thing, considering i have to make it fit the motors, gears, and switches...if u happen to have any specialty in that then i'd like to see how you would make the frames, then i would copy the design for myself...the combined knowledge of all of us = some really sweet FUNCTIONING AT's...yay!!!!!!!!
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #20
chris-chan
the one and only

thanks for the help with higher torque on the motor. i completely forgot about gear ratios and if you hadnt had told me, my dad probably wouldve then looked at me like i was weird for not knowing (my family's full of genious's, and supposedly im one of them) and like i said, the only idea i have for making the frames properly is welding aluminum. im thinking about getting my uncles welder from him and then buying some aluminum once i size up the amount i need. right now on a little sticky note im working on designing a "case" for the shoes to slip into then buckle over them like regular skates. i figured using real shoes will give me the approximate size for real AT's. and thanks for those pics. theyre coming in handy with my design. and how fast do you think we can get these things to move anyway?
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #21
Q-Tron

ultimately the speed depends on your gear ratio and the motor you have...if you made skates just for speed i estimate 12-15mph max...if u keep a good balance so u get better acceleration and better uphill speed 9-11mph is about the max...IF we can make them...
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #22
chris-chan
the one and only

i dont think its an if we can make them, the technologys already out there, just not many people have realized it till now. you never know, we might be planning the next big extreme sport here, and it all started cause of someones imagination. and thats about what i expected. i was thinking about 10 mph, so thats not bad. and im also starting to think more fiberglass. maybe even a aluminum frame for electronics with a fiberglass cover over it for protection/looks. could be painted any color you like and could take a beating. ill check on the prices and start a list. i should have one ready by this afternoon. and yeah, these are probably gonna be some sweet AT's.
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #23
Q-Tron

dude, i'm so psyched...you have no clue...this thread had like 2 posts until today and this is when it all starts...i feel like i'm building a design team of some of the best amateur engineers out there...tomorrow i'm going to Walmart to get some styrofoam to carve into the basic shape i want, and i'm going to radioshack to get some parts...hopefully i'll have a couple of pictures posted on photobucket showing the progress and giving you guys some ideas...i also think we should start our own Storm Riders team! lol...

Last edited by Q-Tron : 02-25-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:22 PM   #24
prismswordsman

^^ If you are really going to make them, then you will probably need an aluminum frame, since all your weight will be concentrated at 4 points instead of the classic 8. For prototyping purposes, it would be much better to buy steel/aluminum "c-channel" bars, and then just cut away what will not be needed rather than weld separate pieces. An AT style shell can be made easily enough to cover the insides.

As for your power supply, I would seriously consider some type of leg/back mounted battery instead of actually putting them inside the skate. That way, you can use much bigger batteries without needing to put them in a small frame, and they will be likely covered up by pants.

Also, the type of motor style you may want to look at is the "hub motor". This kind of motor is actually embedded in the wheel. It's current popular use is for wheelchairs, motorcycles, and bicycles. Usually they are in sizes of 8 inches or bigger, but it can probably be scaled down to half size if you are only aiming for 10 mph.
prismswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:25 PM   #25
chris-chan
the one and only

yes to everything but the team! i dont think that will work out.
and yeah, i was thinking about going to the store tommorow and checking out the price of aluminum per foot and all. ive been checking out the price of fiberglass, and its pretty reasonable. about $8 a yard for the strongest stuff a website had (not the strongest, but you dont need bidirectional cloth for something like this). im checking the prices of resin right now and learning how to use fiberglass. never really done it before. and i would head on out and buy everything now if i didnt need the money for an upcoming con. lets just hope i get the job that i got an interview for this week, but even then i wont start till august, so dont expect much progress from me anytime soo. maybe a stryofam model and beginning welds along with schematics, but thats about it till september or so. i really hope this works out, you really dont know how syked i am, but then again, you probably do.

i was thinking about cutting a hole in a wheel and adding a motor, but if they already come that way, ill check them out.
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #26
Q-Tron

i feel ya man...but i'm not sure if i'm going to wait until september for much...i'm doing a loca American Idol competition and if i win i get $200...by that time i already should have about $200 to spend + the money i get for being SpongeBob at a local festival which is around $75...if i win i end up with about $475 which is more than enough to do this project...if u need money that bad i am willing to help u financially if i have left over money, because i don't want to be the only one with AT's. plus the more people that have them, the more i can help and get help on building them...so we both get done alot quicker...i'm hoping to be done shortly after my birthday which is August 11...once i get the frame built it's all downhill from there...dude i can't wait to be going down the streets on these things and showing off my coolness!!!!!!!
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:32 PM   #27
Q-Tron

btw...where are you watching the first 20 episodes of Air Gear? i've only seen the first 4...technically 1-2-3-6....because the anime-network is mentally deficient
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #28
chris-chan
the one and only

i think they most expensive thing is gonna be the electronics. the frame should be pretty inexpensive and easy, and could knock that out with whatever i got left over from the con and from working at the local paintball field, then its onto fiberglassing it and taking care of imperfections. depending on my final price i come out with is how quickly ill be done. i dont need any financial help though, but still thanks for asking. if i get the job i start in august and ill be making $8 and hour working aproximately 15-20 hours a week, and im getting $6 an hour at the field, so im walking home with about $72 a day working one day a week, but its not a definite source of income. if i need financial help, ill just ask my parents. but i dont think its gonna cost more than about $100 depending on what we use and where we get it. if we need things cheaper, theres always ebay.
and ive been watching mine on youtube and veoh. i caught the first 9 on youtube and the rest im watching on veoh till i get to 24 or the guy on youtube puts in the ones from 10-23. veoh has realy good quality though and a bigger screen than youtube.
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #29
Q-Tron

thx...you're right about the quality...youtube's video quality sucks compared to this...
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #30
chris-chan
the one and only

yeah. its a lot better. well, im gonna be getting off for the night so i can finish episode 11 and get a supply list started. oh, and dont use hub motors, theyre going for about $180 a pop.