Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Takemaru

Fire Emblem Wig

I need some help. I want to make a new wig for my Marth costume.

http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?...h&pageOffset=2

I kind of want to style one, but I would like to know which wig to style for it.

Unread 07-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

So are you asking for help on picking a wig? Or on styling it?

I always Ebay for my wigs. Try these two:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Short-Cute-Style...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Short-Blue-Costu...QQcmdZViewItem

The second one is more the color you're looking for, but the first would be easier to style IMO. Both are pretty affordable. For tips on styling, just spray with hairspray and sculpt as you like. A good reference pic for Marth is PikminLink's Marth cosplay - Darn near perfect, and you can really see how she styled the wig to mirror the picture.

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers...ostumeid=68934

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Takemaru

Thanks. I guess I was asking for help on picking a wig. Also, I want to know what kind of hairspray I would need.

Last edited by Takemaru : 07-10-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Unread 07-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Cartoonmaster

Hairspray, like detangler, or color, or what?

I'm doing Marth too. ^_^ But I'm having a heck of a time getting the blue! >.< I got a short brown synthetic wig (lightest they had was dk. brown. -_-; ) and got it cut by a hair stylist. First I tried temporary spray-on color - quite blue, but flaked off when dry (also took 2 cans for barely half of it!) Then, I tried using the FW dye method (1 cup rubbing alchohol, 8 squeezes Marine Blue FW dye) and it seemed to turn blackish with a slight green sheen and a little blue if you looked really close. Then my mom took put the whole bottle of ink on it, and it turned black. Blue Sharpie gave pink, blue-green and dk. blue didn't show up. (penned directly on hair), and stencil paint (my mom was desperate) made it bluish, but oily. Now I feel screwed. ;_;

Well, these are my experiences so you don't do what I did, and maybe I could get tome tips, please..? ;_; I know the dark brown doesn't help at all (that's my natural color anyways, so what's the point?), but is there any alternative than getting a new wig or getting my hair cut and having to spray it every day? (especially with the flakiness and 'mileage') My mom doesn't want me to bleach my hair, either.
Cartoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
cuddles116
I Only Need One Person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaoron Tengu View Post
Thanks. I guess I was asking for help on picking a wig. Also, I want to know what kind of hairspray I would need.
Got2b Freeze Spray is FANTASTIC...you can pretty much use any harsher hair spray also (like aquanet for example) but I really like got2b. Just spray it how you want it and give it a little blast of air from a blow drier (low to cool heat if you're worried about fiber damage) and it will stay in place. I use it when making spiked wigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonmaster View Post
Hairspray, like detangler, or color, or what?

I'm doing Marth too. ^_^ But I'm having a heck of a time getting the blue! >.< I got a short brown synthetic wig (lightest they had was dk. brown. -_-; ) and got it cut by a hair stylist. First I tried temporary spray-on color - quite blue, but flaked off when dry (also took 2 cans for barely half of it!) Then, I tried using the FW dye method (1 cup rubbing alchohol, 8 squeezes Marine Blue FW dye) and it seemed to turn blackish with a slight green sheen and a little blue if you looked really close. Then my mom took put the whole bottle of ink on it, and it turned black. Blue Sharpie gave pink, blue-green and dk. blue didn't show up. (penned directly on hair), and stencil paint (my mom was desperate) made it bluish, but oily. Now I feel screwed. ;_;

Well, these are my experiences so you don't do what I did, and maybe I could get tome tips, please..? ;_; I know the dark brown doesn't help at all (that's my natural color anyways, so what's the point?), but is there any alternative than getting a new wig or getting my hair cut and having to spray it every day? (especially with the flakiness and 'mileage') My mom doesn't want me to bleach my hair, either.
Hmm you really should have checked the forums before killing the wig I'm pretty sure using the standard DIY dyeing methods you can not make a darker wig lighter period. You also can't use temp sprays made for human hair on plastic. Your best bet would have been a lighter color wig (white to light blonde) and used either the sharpie dyeing method of FW inks one or if you found a lighter blue wig and you could have tinted it the color you needed. I've never used this stuff but you could also get some wig dye from katie bair's site it seems that the blue dye will make a chocolate brown wig blue so theres an option (though I think the sea green on the brown looks a little closer to that ref. picture), but I don't know how well all wig fibers take that dye you will have to do a forum search so you don't waste any more money just to have the dye wash right out of the wig.

With all the money those sprays, inks, etc have cost I don't know if it is really worth it to get the wig dye (one I don't know if you like fried the wig and if the color would even take) when you could just get a blue base wig to start with and tint it.

Last edited by cuddles116 : 07-15-2007 at 10:39 PM.
cuddles116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
skye_fall
perfectionist, much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddles116 View Post
I've never used this stuff but you could also get some wig dye from katie bair's site it seems that the blue dye will make a chocolate brown wig blue so theres an option (though I think the sea green on the brown looks a little closer to that ref. picture), but I don't know how well all wig fibers take that dye you will have to do a forum search so you don't waste any more money just to have the dye wash right out of the wig.

Actually, if you open the flash thing with the wig color and swatches, it says in the bottom right hand corner:

"Some colors may appear to get lighter when dyed in this simulation, but dye will not lighten fiber. Color accuracy will vary depending on monitor settings."

So, if you're dyeing a wig a different color, you HAVE to get a wig that's lighter in color. If the style is off/too long, go for the color than the length; you can always style it shorter
than making it lighter in color.

As for Zaoron Tengu's question as to which wig to get/what color to dye..

If you go on Amphigory's website, they have a pretty decent selection of cosplay wigs that aren't too expensive. The best one to work with for Marth would probably be Femme Fatale. There's a lot of excess hair, but Marth's hair is on the long side of short hair, anyways, and there's enough length for you to play with regarding fluffing out the bangs and what not.

As for color, his hair is really more of a blue-green than a true blue. One way of going about it is buying a sky blue wig and then coloring with an aqua green sharpie (if you don't want to get wig dye). Sharpies are always a good method to change the color of a light wig to a darker one

Hairspray.. the cheaper the better. You really don't need any special conditioner or anything for the synthetic fibers (just don't use gel. Gel uses the natural properties of hair to retain hold and shape). Just be careful, though; some hair sprays WILL strip the color that you just put in out. So definitely do a test to see whether or not the hair spray will react badly to the color.

Good luck!
skye_fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #7
Cartoonmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddles116 View Post

Hmm you really should have checked the forums before killing the wig
I did check the forums - My mom's the one who didn't. (Wanted to show her stuff, but didn't get to -_-). I couldn't think straight while we were at the wig store because my brother was being an idiot and I was still thinking about working with my own hair, as were our previous plans, misunderstandings, and various other things. I knew the spray would be crummy, but my mom was saying all kinds of stuff, and I was kind of annoyed that she wouldn't listen to my ideas, so... Apparently she was convinced the spray would work, so we wouldn't have worry about the color. But, really, it's TOTALLY pointless to get a wig with the exact same color as my own. *can't believe how stupid that was* DX

Quote:
I'm pretty sure using the standard DIY dyeing methods you can not make a darker wig lighter period.
Yes, I know - it's because that's the color the plastic was inbued with as it was being made. Besides staining it with another color (adding to it), you can't get rid of the original color without melting down the plastic and making it again. It did tint it blue, but the brown (essentially a darker shade of orange, right? Complementary of blue) cancelled most of it out and made a blue-black.

Quote:
You also can't use temp sprays made for human hair on plastic.
That's what I suspected, but my mom had the guy test it on a swatch and it *seemed* to be pretty decent. But then again, we weren't there for hours/wearing it/etc. as you would in reality. -_-

Quote:
Your best bet would have been a lighter color wig (white to light blonde) and used either the sharpie dyeing method of FW inks one or if you found a lighter blue wig and you could have tinted it the color you needed.
They didn't have a huge selection, but, yes, I wish I had known in advance that I was gonna have to do the sharpie/FW dyeing beforehand (knew that you could, didn't know how, being talked into subbmission by mom X__X), or else I would have looked harder for a lighter wig. ;_; I have a white (glow-in-the-dark) one I used for Sesshoumaru, but it's really thin and crappy. I'll have to go look at that again...

Quote:
I've never used this stuff but you could also get some wig dye from katie bair's site it seems that the blue dye will make a chocolate brown wig blue so theres an option (though I think the sea green on the brown looks a little closer to that ref. picture), but I don't know how well all wig fibers take that dye you will have to do a forum search so you don't waste any more money just to have the dye wash right out of the wig.
Yeah, plus shipping time(The con's this weekend!) ;_;

Quote:
With all the money those sprays, inks, etc have cost I don't know if it is really worth it to get the wig dye (one I don't know if you like fried the wig and if the color would even take) when you could just get a blue base wig to start with and tint it.
It seems okay - the only things I did to the whole wig was what I said with the FW dye - the other weird stuff I/my mom did just to pieces of hair ^^;

- posted before reading skye_fall's post - have to reply tomorrow g2g -___-;
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
Cartoonmaster

Okay, I'm back (dad was hovering over shoulder last night until I went to bed -_-; ) Well, Marth's hair is a bit greenish in SSBM, but I think that picture makes it look overly so. *attaches pics* And, plus, his appearance changes a lot throughout the series (In the first game, he didn't wear pants! ~_^), so I wouldn't worry all too much about the shade of blue, as long as it isn't too much to the purple or green side. Basically, it's plain old blue - for whatever reason, the SSBM people decided to make it greenish, but...whatever. I think the Femme Fatale is extremely green and would be a pain to modify (lack of bangs, etc.), but that's just my thoughts.

The first two are screenshots from SSBM (please excuse camera quality), the next one is box art from the first game, and the last one is a scan from a guide for the third game.

Zaoron Tengu - when's your con?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0908 (4).JPG (177.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0900 (5).JPG (184.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FE1-Box[1].jpg (72.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Marth's REAL form by Frikin-Chibi.jpg (116.5 KB, 0 views)
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:29 AM   #9
Takemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonmaster View Post
Okay, I'm back (dad was hovering over shoulder last night until I went to bed -_-; ) Well, Marth's hair is a bit greenish in SSBM, but I think that picture makes it look overly so. *attaches pics* And, plus, his appearance changes a lot throughout the series (In the first game, he didn't wear pants! ~_^), so I wouldn't worry all too much about the shade of blue, as long as it isn't too much to the purple or green side. Basically, it's plain old blue - for whatever reason, the SSBM people decided to make it greenish, but...whatever. I think the Femme Fatale is extremely green and would be a pain to modify (lack of bangs, etc.), but that's just my thoughts.

The first two are screenshots from SSBM (please excuse camera quality), the next one is box art from the first game, and the last one is a scan from a guide for the third game.

Zaoron Tengu - when's your con?

My convention (Wizard World) is on the weekend of August 11th.
Unread 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Cartoonmaster

Meh, no fair. Otakon's in two days. =P But I got a blue wig now, so I'm not totally dead. But I still don't have the armor, so I don't know if I'll be able to pull that together before Friday. >.<;; Good luck to you, and we'll have to compare costumes sometime after we're all done. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go work on my costume now *scurries off*