Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > InuYasha

Unread 07-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
thebothan
OA - Big Red

My Plan for My InuYasha costume.

Well... I'm going to have this thing done in a couple weeks and ready for Comic Con International.

Currently it's just a couple patterns and piles of fabric so, here's the breakdown.

Patterns I will Modify
- Folkwear's Kimono Pattern, and Turkish Pants Pattern.
Material I'm Using - Robe of the Fire Rat/Pants: A Nice Linen Blend, in a slightly subdued red (more a more elegant feel), with a nice weight so that it will hang nicely. Kosode: Simple Medium Weight White Cotton.

Modifications I'm making to the Patterns

Kimono to Kosode - Shorten Length by About Half. Modify Sleeves from hanging sleeves to simple tube the size of the sleeve seam.

Kimono to Robe of The Fire Rat - Shorten Length by About Half. Modify Sleeves from Flat Kimono Sleeves to Bell Sleeves. I'm Thinking of making the Sleeves 18"-20" long (3"-5" longer than a normal kimono sleeve), and 25"-30" at the opening (when made into a sleeve, meaning 50"-60" of material before it's sewn). I feel it's important that my sleeves be able to hang really well, and that I can fold my arms together and have then hang down together in front of me, while they may be exagerated from what might be reality... this is a costume based on an artwork, so I believe that exageration over reality is better.

Turkish Pants to InuYasha's Pants - Add a Bowed Sash to cover the drawstring.

I can't sew and neither can my mom, so with her help I'm hiring someone from church that my mom knows to help sew it for me.

I Plan to add some purple or black ribbon to the end of the sleeves if I'm able to.

What do you think?
San Diego Comic Con '08
Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin) - Yuji Sakai (Shakugan no Shana) - Nozomu Itoshiki "Zetsubou Sensei" (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
thebothan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Emowafflexx
Haters gon' Hate.

hm... I am totally new at this, but it looks pretty good... I can't sew either so I am whining to my GS leader who is lyke a sewing genius!!*lmao*

You might want to add the purple/black ribbon though, because I hear cosplaying people are really picky... lyke not in particular, I could careless as long as the costume looks good, but you can never be too careful^_^ Well I hope everything works out!^_^

-Hilary
  • Kiki --- Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Venesaur --- Pokemon

Children's Card Games, I play them.
Hook me up at the convention for a duel?

Last edited by Emowafflexx : 07-12-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Forgot somes stuff^_^
Emowafflexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
thebothan
OA - Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emowafflexx View Post
You might want to add the purple/black ribbon though, because I hear cosplaying people are really picky...
heh, if I have time after it gets finished being sewn and before leaving for the con I'm definately going to add ribbon through the sleeve ends
San Diego Comic Con '08
Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin) - Yuji Sakai (Shakugan no Shana) - Nozomu Itoshiki "Zetsubou Sensei" (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
Unread 07-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

For the sleeves might I suggest you using the pattern for a renaissance dress? ^_^ They have the more belled sleeve shape and require little to no modification.(less work! whoo!) My Inuyasha haori top is made out of a basic kimono pattern and the one from my Renfest dress. ^_^
The ribbon on the sleeves is black as are the beads on his rosary necklace! Pleeeeease do not use purple! The purple tint is merely a color highlight in the anime/manga that indicates lighting!

Good choices so far on fabric types! Since Inuyasha takes place in the feudal era it's all about using natural fibers! ^_^ Post pics when it gets finished! I'd love to see!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
thebothan
OA - Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonekoMiyabi View Post
For the sleeves might I suggest you using the pattern for a renaissance dress? ^_^ They have the more belled sleeve shape and require little to no modification.(less work! whoo!)

Good choices so far on fabric types! Since Inuyasha takes place in the feudal era it's all about using natural fibers! ^_^ Post pics when it gets finished! I'd love to see!
Well, thanks for the suggestion on the sleeves. But the person from Church who I've hired as a seamstress to sew my costume (I met with her yesterday) is going to use choir robe sleeves from church as the pattern for making the sleeves, choir robes have bell sleeves Damn it's handy to have nice people, who are willing to be hired to help sew things, especially when they are kinda friends with one's mom. If there's time she's going to thread black ribbon though the sleeve openings.

I'll be sure to post pics! If I was a good Inuyasha at Fanime even when I totally hated the costume I bought... my wig I modified was awesome though... and I guess I'm good enough looking... I was one of the few male Inuyasha at Fanime.
San Diego Comic Con '08

Last edited by thebothan : 07-14-2007 at 05:19 PM.