Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 07-21-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Hazel Chaz

Cosplay Plans

Recently we made our first site visit to the Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel and Convention Center. You might be interested to hear how our Masquerade plans are shaping up. (As you may have heard, Faire Goddess is running it, under ICG guidelines. Kevin & Andy have been training her up -- she's been their assistant director at two or three conventions in a row, learning the ropes -- and she's ready to take charge.)

The hotel's website, by the way, is http://www.marriott.com/burap
and the portion that talks about ballrooms & such is
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/event...ention-center/

Our current plan is to use "Academy 1" for the Masquerade auditorium. It seats more than the Concorde ballroom at the Airtel did, and we will have more standing-along-the-walls space. So more people will be inside the room cheering you on than last year.

We expect the Masquerade Green Room will be in "Academy 6." This means it'll be indoors, climate-controlled, and it'll be just one doorway away from backstage of Academy 1 (actually, one airwall-partition). No long walks down strange hallways or through the employees' corridors -- all close together, very convenient.

Our Tech department head, Scott Beckstead, has assured me that streaming the video and audio will be no problem at all. This means that we can set up repeater monitors in the green room, outside the hall in Artists' Alley, and (we hope) even in the Con Suite ("Blue Rose Maid Cafe").

It's going to be broadcast over a private LAN of some sort -- we're looking into exactly what kind of technology it'll be on, so I can't commit to that yet -- and we'll have several computers with largish monitors to show the Masquerade on.

We have not figured out exactly how many computers we'll be able to plug into the network. If you've got a laptop with a big screen, let me know you might bring it and we'll see if you can have the masquerade live on your screen, too.

(We don't have a way to pipe it into the hotel's cable tv system, so you won't be able to watch from your room or from the bar. Sorry.)

As it happens, the masquerade green room will be very close to Gaming, which is planned for in Academy 4 or 5. I don't know what impact that will have on everything, but I thought I'd let you know.

Along that same corridor, either Sunset or Vine (they're identical rooms) will be our Indoor Photo Gathering Room. We expect that most cosplay gatherings, unless they're going to be really huge, will meet there. We plan on having lights, backdrops, and so forth set up there all weekend. And when a cosplay gathering isn't using the room, it'll be available for ad-hoc photography. Very large gatherings (Naruto, Final Fantasy) will probably want to meet outside, assuming the weather's nice. (Unfortunately, Anime Los Angeles has a history of drizzly, windy, cold, or wet weather... not much I can do about that.)

All these rooms are very close to the large convention center restrooms. For that matter, we expect to put the Masquerade Sign-up Desk at the "coat check" desk next to those restrooms. (At some point we'll post our own map; I don't think the Marriott has a good overall floorplan to point you towards.)

I don't know where Costume Repair Station will be. Since it could basically be run from a single table, it could end up anywhere.

Any questions? Oh, by the way, pre-reg rates go up soon. Sign up by 31 July and save ten bucks.
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Maguma
Blazing Through Tommorrow

sounds like a plan! are there any pictures of the outdoor area?

Be sure to sign up for ALA 2015 Socal Cosplay Chess!!! Click here!!!
Come check out Socal Cosplay Chess on Facebook!!! Click here!!!
Maguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
RobotPenguin

i've never missed an A-LA yet. they're as much fun as AX and a little more friendly. see y'all there.
will the Indoor Photo Gathering room accomidate more than one group at once, or is that not really a problem? how soon can we all start planning for gatherings? i've heard of this idea of the monitors on a LAN before, but i've never seen it done at a convention before. it sounds great.
Quote:
As it happens, the masquerade green room will be very close to Gaming, which is planned for in Academy 4 or 5. I don't know what impact that will have on everything, but I thought I'd let you know.
two of the noisiest rooms; i'm sure the walls can mute the sound.
Unread 07-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotPenguin View Post
i've never missed an A-LA yet. they're as much fun as AX and a little more friendly. see y'all there.
will the Indoor Photo Gathering room accomidate more than one group at once, or is that not really a problem? how soon can we all start planning for gatherings? i've heard of this idea of the monitors on a LAN before, but i've never seen it done at a convention before. it sounds great.
two of the noisiest rooms; i'm sure the walls can mute the sound.
The room won't easily handle two groups scheduled at the same time. You could start talking about your gatherings now; Kokuu or Neo_Serenity will be keeping track and compiling the official list.

Sound -- If we think it'll be a distraction, we may ask the gaming people to turn the volume down on the games during the Masquerade. That'll be something the masquerade director and gaming head will work out between themselves, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maguma View Post
sounds like a plan! are there any pictures of the outdoor area?
I see that the photos I had of the place were lost in my great website crash. I'll go out and shoot some more pictures real soon now.

One of the nice things about the photo gathering room is it has windows, for natural light. Especially morning light.
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote