Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #16
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Here's an example of dying a wig using Copic markers!

I started off with a Cosworx Fantasy wig (which I can't find on the Cosworx site any more, but it was like the Perfect wig, only with bangs) in "Emerald" green.

Before: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1430557/

I needed it to be a much darker green (Emerald is pretty bright).
I bought some wig dye from Katie Bair in Coal Grey, and it worked great but one bottle was not nearly enough to dye this whole wig. It had a lot of fibre in it for volume.

Rather than wait for more dye to be shipped to me, I used the Copic marker refills I mentioned earlier in this thread. I had two refills of "Pine Tree Green", though I only used one.

After a bit of experimentation, I found a ratio of alcohol to ink that worked.
~100ml of 99% isopropyl alcohol to 6 or 7 squirts from the refill gave me a dark dye that was pretty opaque. Less ink produced a more translucent dye, but I wanted it really dark.

I used 99% alcohol because my local drugstore only had the standard 70%, and the 99%. They didn't have the 91% talked about in the other wig dying threads.

I sprayed it on the wig bit by bit, and used my hair dryer set on Low to dry the dye on each section before moving to the next section.
This mixture and spraying really stinks (and I'm used to dealing with isopropanol every day at work) so I recommend doing it in a well ventilated area.

When I was done, I rinsed the wig in cool water until it ran clear, and then I used a bunch of Katie Bair's wig conditioner on it, then I used the hair dryer to dry it. I would have let it air dry as most people recommend, but the only place I could dye the wig was in the shower, and my husband needed to use it. I don't see any ill effects from the final blow drying.

After: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1430558/

The wig fibre feels a teeny tiny bit rougher than before I dyed it, but the fibre in this wig was not very smooth or silky to begin with.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
Jacaranda
Spastic Sagittarius

Wow, it looks great! In the pictures the wig seems to have lost a bit of its shine, but not much.

I've never thought of using Copics for wig dying, mostly because of the price (about $5 or more where I get them). But with the color selection in the ink refills (310 colors *w*), the custom color possibilities seem... astounding, considered that colors can be mixed, too.

If this baby isn't on the questions about wig styling stickie yet, then it should be.
Jacaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #18
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Yeah, I used Copic refills because they had the exact colour I wanted, rather than buying several Sharpies to mix together and hope I got the colour I wanted.

Hrm, I think you're right about it losing a bit of shine; I hadn't noticed. I'll have to take an "after" photo during the day to see for sure.

For me, losing a bit of shine is a good thing, as I personally think that the super shininess of party-coloured wigs looks more unnatural than the party colour itself, so I'm glad if it's been dulled down a bit.
I recommend a swatch test to anyone who needs to keep the full shininess in their wig, though. Or perhaps use a less concentrated mixture of ink!

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Home-made Copic wig dye works the exact same way as Katie Bair's wig dye does, I recommend following her instructions for best results. (I also use her small spray bottles because they're great^^)

IMO the fiber feels just fine afterwards, at least if you apply a lot of wig conditioner. The higher the concentration of pigments is, the coarser the fiber will feel if you don't rinse it completely (which takes forever with dark colors.) You'll want to use 5-20% of copic ink, the refill bottles have a ml scale so they let you dose the ink exactly. I always do swatch tests first, write down the mix ratio I used, and compare the results until I'm satisfied.

You can actually use 70% isopropyl alcohol if you want (or just water down 99% alcohol), in theory it takes a little longer to evaporate but it shouldn't really matter when you set it with blow dryer heat right away.

I just love Copic's colors *.*

Last edited by Kukkii-san : 06-14-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
TaRu
Derp powers activate!

I've heard when you use Copic markers, sometimes when the wig will get out into direct sunlight or bright lights, it fades the color crazy quick. Is this true?
TaRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
Meitachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaRu View Post
I've heard when you use Copic markers, sometimes when the wig will get out into direct sunlight or bright lights, it fades the color crazy quick. Is this true?
I've never heard of this happening before. The wigs I've dyed with copics turned out just fine and didn't fade in the sunlight.
Meitachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Neither did mine. But I wouldn't recommend exposing any wig to direct sunlight for long (as in, letting it sit in your window for weeks) since this will bleach even pre-dyed fiber. Store them in a dim room or in a box and you should be fine.
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #23
TaRu
Derp powers activate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukkii-san View Post
Neither did mine. But I wouldn't recommend exposing any wig to direct sunlight for long (as in, letting it sit in your window for weeks) since this will bleach even pre-dyed fiber. Store them in a dim room or in a box and you should be fine.
Quote:
I've never heard of this happening before. The wigs I've dyed with copics turned out just fine and didn't fade in the sunlight.
Alright then! Thanks guys, you've all been a really big help!
TaRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #24
Aera

I dyed a wig with copic refills some time ago. And the result was perfect when it comes to the color (thanks to Kukkii for telling me to use a dark blond wig as a base <3)

Here's the wig
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2039909/

Most unfortunately I still have some problems with it, as for example there's still color rubbing off, no matter how often I wash it - even with warm or hot water (had to straighten it again). The water is clear - but when I wear the wig, I still have violet color all over my neck at the end of the day >_<

As I have some other issues with the wig as well I want to buy a new one anyway. Right now I'm wondering if I should buy a dark violett one right away or try to dye a light brown/dark blonde wig again...

Could anyone tell me what might have gone wrong, that so muich color still comes off? Maybe the concentration of the color was too high. The refill bottles may have a ml-scale, but as they're opaque I still couldn't exactly see how much color I put into the alcohol...

Last edited by Aera : 06-14-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Aera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

The color came out great, I love it *.* Very interesting shade!

What usually happens when you rinse the wig is that the water looks clear at first, but let the wig sit for a couple of minutes to see if the water dripping off is still clear - if it's not, rinse again. This may take 10 minutes or longer, especially with dark colors. Make sure to turn it upside down as well and rinse it from all sides and at the roots / cap. (Leave the wig on a white surface / bathtub, or run a tissue across the fiber to determine whether there's still dye residue in the wig.)

40 drops = 1ml. And when the bottle is empty, you've used up 25ml *lol* which is great because it will give you 250ml of a 1:10 solution, which should be enough to dye most wigs.

Do you have a reference picture of what you want the wig to look like? If you wanted just a dark purple color, a medium purple wig would be fine as a base, but if you want that particular brownish, washed-out look (which I think is really cool) I'd stick with the dark blonde base wig. Fun colors are very bright and hard to tone down.
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:31 AM   #26
Aera

http://www.aeras-realm.de/uploads/samples/yuuri.jpg

The Design on the left has the colors I used as a reference it's this impossible purple-brownish mix XD
Hmm I guess I'll give it another try with a new wig and color it again. I know that noone would mind a dark purple wig and probably only me notices that this color is more correct... but I'm such a nerdy perfectionist when it comes to colors ^^'

What do you think is the faintest mix I should aim for? I'll start with a light brown wig this time so the color doesn't need to be quite as strong and as I said I'll try to dunk dye the wig this time...
Oh and can I use 'Brennspiritus' instead of Isopropanol? It would be cheaper ^^'
Unread 06-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #27
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

I don't think anything lighter / more diluted than 1:15 would show up on a brown wig at all, but then again, it depends on how dark a shade of Copic you're using. (To save Copic, it's usually best to use the darkest shade available, i.e. the one with the highest number.)

Actually, when you start with a darker wig, you may need more Copic to cover up the original wig color. Again, this depends on the shade, so always do a couple of swatch tests to be sure (you can get a few packs of extensions if you want to test the dye on different fiber colors before you buy the actual wig.)

Yes you can, according to Major (@animexx) though you should really take it outside if you're using anything other than alcohol.

Please don't dunk dye the wig, you'll be more likely to get a streaky result (or none at all if you fail to dry the fiber fast enough), especially with such a dark color. Plus, you'll need more dye, which I think is something you're trying to avoid?! Spray dyeing really is safer, though it'll take more patience.
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Aera

Quote:
I don't think anything lighter / more diluted than 1:15 would show up on a brown wig at all, but then again, it depends on how dark a shade of Copic you're using. (To save Copic, it's usually best to use the darkest shade available, i.e. the one with the highest number.)
Hum ok... the one I've chosen now is really somewhere between blond and a light brown, almost like caramel ^^'
The colors I sed for the old wig are V09 and some dark warm grey. 07 or 08 I think - I'll probably go for the same mixutre this time...

Quote:
Please don't dunk dye the wig, you'll be more likely to get a streaky result (or none at all if you fail to dry the fiber fast enough), especially with such a dark color. Plus, you'll need more dye, which I think is something you're trying to avoid?! Spray dyeing really is safer, though it'll take more patience.
Oookay...
well I had asked for other kinds of alcohol, because I knew I would need more liquid when dunk dying. But I guess if I'm spraying again, normal isopropanol will be fine, too.
Guess I'll simply have to endure hurting fingers and a violet sprinkled shower when I want to color wigs. Luckily there are no other wigs that need to be dyed for the rest of the year....
Unread 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #29
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Shower? Do you spray overhead? ˘_0 Just cover your workplace, put on some old clothes, ventilate well and take a break when you get tired - the wig won't run away *lol*

The colors sound perfect^^
Unread 06-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #30
Aera

Quote:
Shower? Do you spray overhead? ˘_0 Just cover your workplace, put on some old clothes, ventilate well and take a break when you get tired - the wig won't run away *lol*
I colored it while it was still on the wig head... of course my aim wasn't always perfect... oh and the wig head is violet now, too
I prefer the shower, because it's easier to clean afterwards and the rest of my appartment really isn't that spacy, I would be too afraid of accidently coloring the walls or my curtains...
But I'll keep your advice in mind