Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Cosplay Newb
Suggestion please :)

So I'm embarking on my first sewing project for next years Comic expo in my city.
Last year I embarked on my first armour making and it actually turned out decently.
So I figured I'd do something I've never done before, again.. because who doesn't love challenges right?

So I'm going to do Magician Nozomi from Love Live School Idol Festival (Idolized, the red dress)

Now my question is, should I do a top and skirt, or make it all one dress?
I have no idea where to even start, but at least if I know this much, I can start looking for patterns.

And if you have any tips, hints, tricks, advice, please feel free to leave it here! I may come back periodically and post more in this thread as the project progresses.
PaleSeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
It looks to me like a red dress with a white petticoat and a brown corset. I think you would need a hoop skirt to make the dress full like that.
Vanilla (Nekopara) - 25%
Rinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
While I agree it's drawn as a dress, corset and petticoat, it will be much easier to construct and wear as separate pieces. I'd do a two layered blouse (white peasant with red 'dress' attached/ faked in), a corset with the little white ruffles at top & bottom, then the petticoat & skirt all joined at one waistband, plus a hoop, but you can just buy that, this skirts' shape is pretty standard and hoops are cheaper to buy than to make.

The white should be good ol' polyester/cotton broadcloth.
The brown a good heavy twill or denim.
The red needs to be your eye catcher, I'd get a duponi silk (or polyester depending on your budget, the polys look just as good). And a little bit more for the blue/purple border. Get fancy Gutterman thread and use satin stitch to do all the gold lines on the blouse & skirt edge. It's straight lines so it can be done on a machine, no fancy embroidery skill or stitch setting on your machine is required, just a time commitment (it'll take for. ev. er. to satin stitch around the whole skirt a couple times).

The red & blue diamonds in the border don't need to be as hard as you might think. Go to a fabric store and look in the quilting cottons for red and fabrics with white flowers or doodads. Cut this fabric around the doodads to get your diamonds, applique them with the machine.
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe I make non-fitted custom things to ship within the continental US. I only do fitted garments for those whom I can meet in person.

Last edited by Penlowe : 06-24-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
Cosplay Newb
Thank you guys. Such amazing help. I appreciate the fabric ideas as well Penlowe!
I have lots of time, so I don't mind the commitment to the satin stitch!

I'm excited to start this project and appreciate your advice and suggestions!!
PaleSeptember is offline   Reply With Quote