Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Lawless Cosplay
Thumbs up My lifesaver-

So about a year ago I attended a pattern making class at my local fabric store- and they showed us a lot of really nifty tools and techniques.

But they introduced us all to a patter making system called the Lutterloh System.
They claim its the system most the the pattern companies use- I haven't researched that to see if it was true or not.

But this system is probably toe most amazing and convenient thing I've used for cosplay.
It's a booklet with small scaled patterns in it, it lets you mix and match bodice, sleeve, collar, pant leg, etc. All the pieces are interchangeable.
But the amazing thing is that you take your own measurements, and you scale out this tiny pattern into one big pattern that fits you.
It has super easy instructions on how to scale things out too, there's a special measuring tape with a measurement guage on it, and once it's scaled out, it's just connecting the dots.

There's a few tricks to it, yeah. It asks that you be measured a certain way, and it's best if you have a Tailors Curve, which you can get from the same company, as well as a Designers Curve.

But this kit comes with a paper Designers/Tailors curve piece, anyway which works just as well.
And a DVD that tells you how to use all the tools and scale out the pattern.

I barely even feel the need to buy a pattern anymore, because I have a whole book of ones I can scale out.

Literally the only downsides I've found are that the measurements need to be converted to metric (it's a german pattern system), and that while the book has A LOT of patterns to choose from of which I can mix and match; there is a limit of men's patterns.
There are a few pattern types not included, but they release them in quarterly supplements that can be bought from the same company.
So almost all the mens pattern pieces and specialty pattern pieces are released in those.
It's also a little on the spendy side, but I haven't had to buy any actuall patterns since I got it.

Also the pattern it makes doesn't include a seam allowance, so you'd have to add 1/4" to the whole pattern.
Which I don't mind so much, as I've gone through the geometry of making a pattern myself and having to add allowances.

It's nice to have all the math done and just have to scale it out and add a seam allowance though.

I'd say that a Lutterloh System would be a perfect buy for intermediate level seamstress.
Because you do need to have some familiarity with basic pattern shapes, and sewing terms.

I think it's friendly enough for a beginner as well, but any beginners would need to be willing to spend the extra time deciphering some of the terminology (I see there is an excellent thread for that here). I would definitely suggest any beginners wanting to work with a Lutterloh System at least work with one or two Simplicity Patterns before hand to get a feel of how to put everything together.

if you're a master seamstress, This is literally one of the best things ever.

I'm not going to put a link or pricing in this post, because I don't want it to be flagged as spam or some sales pitch.

It should easy enough to find by looking up "Lutterloh System" on a search engine.
Their website has a couple of instruction videos on how the system works too.

I really hope this info can help someone else as much as it helped me!
"The original Greek word "Model", means "misshapen ball of clay" and I try to think about that every time I get in front of the camera."
– Der-ek Zoo-lan-der!
MissAmphipolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
It's been around a long time, and no pattern companies don't use the home version, they have much more complex CAD style programs they use.

Personally, the cost of the system vs. buying patterns and amending works out to the same time commitment and the L system I found rather expensive, so I never bothered.
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe I make non-fitted custom things to ship within the continental US. I only do fitted garments for those whom I can meet in person.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote