Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 04-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
Kinnotoki

Adding and Removing Pockets from One Layer Cosplay?

I'm trying to make an Okabe cosplay. After a failed attempt from ****This Website Link Has Been Removed due to Recent Forum Spam****, I decided to modify a lab coat instead so I will be sure that the sizes will fit me. I'm thinking of buying this:
http://www.justlabcoats.com/ProductS...scode=LA-3138T
which has a side access slit so that I can potentially make some side pockets for easy hand access. However the problem are that the large pockets in the front. How can I remove these and remove any evidence of them being there? I would also like to have two inside breast pockets with zippers at the mouths as a special feature as I won't have much security with my valuables. The problem with these is that lab coats are only one layer thick, so normal methods of pocket sewing won't work. How should I do this?

Here is the man I'm cosplaying as:

http://static.zerochan.net/Okabe.Rin...ull.755292.jpg
Kinnotoki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
alltomorrows

A seam ripper would do the trick for removing the pockets - just go slowly and make sure you're only cutting the threads, not the fabric. Be warned that manufacturers sometimes mark the fabric so the stitchers know where to place the pockets, so you might find little dots or punch holes underneath the pockets when you remove them.

You might be able to attach a hanging pocket to the facing, but from the photo it looks like the fabric isn't perfectly opaque, so it'll probably be at least a little visible. (you can mitigate this by making the pocket the same color as whatever you're wearing underneath the coat, but it's not a perfect solution.) You could also sew a pocket directly behind the breast pocket so that the pocket hides it. You may have to remove the breast pocket and reattach it afterward, or sew by hand so you don't end up sewing it closed.
alltomorrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yes, taking off the outer pocket is easy.

However, adding inside breast pockets can't be done (cleanly) on something that doesn't have a lining. Alltomorrows has a good idea at least for the left side, but your hanging pocket would have to be shorter than the overall size of the outer breast pocket, or else you'll see it. And you absolutely would have to take that pocket off and then re-attach it - and it wouldn't be able to be wider than that breast pocket, either, because you would stitch across the ends of the zipper when reattaching the outer pocket.

But on the right side, there's just no way to do an "inside" pocket when there isn't an inside. Inside breast pockets on blazers and coats are sewn in the lining, and only to the lining, so that they are entirely invisible from the outside.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Sajomir
Yarrrg

If adding internal pockets would be difficult, you could always consider alternative storage. If your items won't fit in the pants pockets, how about getting something like a thin bag or fannie pack you can hang on the back of the belt? It would be covered up by the lab coat , and be tucked out of sight.
Sajomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
Penlowe

The pocket holes without pockets are called plackets, and they are meant for accessing your pants pockets.

if you remove the outer pockets & then wash the garment, the washing action should reduce or hide completely the stitch holes left behind, unless they were huge.