Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #46
MischaU

Power Sewing Step by Step, by Sandra Betzina

Lots of step by step photos and clear instructions. Really good for refining your skills and everyone from total novices to advanced sewers will find it useful.

Seconding Threads magazine, and anything put out by Taunton press.
MischaU is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #47
elfzena
historical costuming addi

fab books

Hmm have to agree with the tudor tailor, i've made some fab stuff following that book's instructions, and the fact that Ninya works at hampton court palace reproducing the garments of various eras from medieval to victorian means she really knows her stuff, for those of you who like corsetry the "Basics of corset building" by Linda Sparks is fantastic, gives all the basic info for constucting a pattern based corset and the infor for drafting your own, piece of advice search historical costume on amazon if you're into that kinda thing, it pulls up the best of the lot, norah waugh and Janet Bradfield are the top ones to look for, thry work for cosplay as well as historical cos they do go into detail on techniques. Hope it helps.
elfzena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #48
hanamaru
stone free!

I can't recommend the Vogue Sewing books enough. My mom handed me down hers, it's from the 70's I believe.. and it's got everything you need to know in there.

Convention Plans 2011: Metrocon, Anime Festival Orlando, EXPCon
hanamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #49
Xylina_Furiae
iPinch D:<

Dang, I've never owned a sewing book. ... I always just "wing it" and end up having to redo things a few times or having to get my grandmother's help. Blah.

I'll look into some of these books, though. :3
"You should hate someone because they're an asshole or a pervert or a snob, or they're lazy or arrogant or an idiot or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to; you have to despise people on a personal level, not because they're red or because they're blue, but because you know them and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total [f]ing douchebag."
-Leonard L. Church, Red Vs Blue
Xylina_Furiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #50
Xylina_Furiae
iPinch D:<

I just picked up "Simply the Best Sewing Book" by Simplicity today and I LOVE IT. I want to work on my costume more, but alas it is with my grandmother (I was using her machine -- mine DIED). I also picked up "The Experts' Book of Sewing Tips & Techniques" from Rodale and it seems like it might get me out of a few spots. If you see that Simplicity book, though, PICK IT UP. :3
"You should hate someone because they're an asshole or a pervert or a snob, or they're lazy or arrogant or an idiot or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to; you have to despise people on a personal level, not because they're red or because they're blue, but because you know them and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total [f]ing douchebag."
-Leonard L. Church, Red Vs Blue
Xylina_Furiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #51
loveshacktardis
Son of a Submariner

After spending about half an hour in Barnes and Noble looking at the sewing books, I finally bought Singer Simple Sewing Guide. I love it, it's got a bunch of useful stuff in it. There's a whole "fabric glossary", sections on how to sew fabrics that are stretchy/sheer/slippery/etc, glossary of different seams, random techniques like darts, making bias tape, hemming, and a giant section on pattern sizing and all that. Plus it's got these great illustrations for each thing that are really easy to read (coming from me that's something, hah. Usually I can't understand pictures AT ALL).

adventuresincosplay.wordpress.com
loveshacktardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #52
midnight45

I was given Sewing Pants that Fit by Singer, Easy, Easier, Easiest Tailoring by Pati Palmer and Susan Pletsch, and Fashion Sewing by the Bishop Method.

I haven't read through them yet, I only got them yesterday, but I was told they were very good and helpful.
midnight45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #53
Ion
イオン

Probably the most helpful book I own is
The Better Homes And Gardens Sewing Book © 1970.
It's old and there are certainly prettier books out there but this has been an awesome reference with info that can help anyone novice to pro. It has divider tabs separating the sections and covers pretty much anything and everything, rather like a BHG cookbook.

Another oldie but a goodie is:
How to Design and Make Your Own Patterns by Claudia Ein @ 1975
This goes over basics of design and pattern making etc. I found it handy because as is the case with many anime and game costumes... no manufactured pattern exists. The author goes into great detail how to do custom collars/necklines, sleeves, darts, godets/flairs, and how to make your own skirts, dresses, pants, and jumpsuits.

Both books can be found at used book dealers like Amazon or half.com but I picked up my copies cruising a library book sale for $1.

I linked photos with the book titles if you want to see the covers.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #54
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

I just bought The Complete Book of Sewing Short Cuts by Claire B. Shaeffer. While I have been sewing for several years, this has LOTS of helpful reference information. It's basically a sewer's glossary, walking you through different types of hems, seams, stitches, fabrics, and all the techniques required to make professional looking garments. It even includes tips on pressing, ironing, tools you will eventually need to add to your seamstress collection, and explanations on what those tools are used for.

I bought a copy at Half Price Books for under $5. One of the best book investments I've ever made, period.
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #55
samtoenail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangirl_moments View Post
great thread!!
I had the library website pulled up as I was going down putting all the books on hold to my library
but I couldn't find one so looks like I'm off to chapters :P
lol SAME!!!!
Unread 07-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #56
intherain93
moe = essential factor

I don't use a book-- I mostly wing it and so far i've been okay^^" but i could deff bet i'd improve if i invested in some books.
intherain93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #57
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

lol i dont have a sewing machine or a sewing book lol.. ive been wanting to get one though! but im afraid that im going to spend a crap load of money on Fabrics and everything because if i mess up on sumthing and have to fix it.it will be wasted money down the drain.. arhghg i dont know.....
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #58
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

In my Intro to Fashion class today they recommended the Reader's Digest Complete Guide To Sewing as basically the best overall sewing bible, but they said that you should look for an older copy- apparently, the newer ones have much of their good content edited out.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #59
tlynnec

I'm partial to Singer's The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing because sometimes there's nothing like a good picture to make things clear. It hasn't failed me yet and has finally explained some of the weirder machine feet to me
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #60
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I actually just picked up "Pattern Fitting with Confidence" by Nancy Zieman when I was at a sewing store with my mom. I haven't been able to look through it in great detail, but from what I"ve looked at, it goes into great detail about how to alter each part of a pattern based on your body shape and how to find the proper measurements and what not.

It's really good for people who prefer altering patterns over making their own. Or, in some cases, there's a pattern really similar to yours but needs some changing. It has lots of pictures and is very easy to follow.