Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #91
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

I have: Singer's Secret's of the trade. (It was part of a series, but this one I liked best).
It's small, but has lots of pictures. My favorite section is on "Industry secrets".
The book's pictures are dated, but the knowledge is still beneficial.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #92
madding

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydragon View Post
I've had the "Complete Guide to Sewing" (by Reader's Digest) for several years, and it's helped me out of a few binds.
I love The RD Complete Guide to Sewing! I wholeheartedly credit that book with teaching me how to do invisible zippers.

I also like books for inspiration. One of my faves is Dressing a Galaxy which has beautiful pics and behind the scenes stuff from the Star Wars prequels costumes and props. I also love any book about Weta Workshops, they are the people who did the costumes and props for Lord of the Rings and the Narnia movies. Amazing! Every time I look at those books it makes me want to run to my sewing machine and get to work.
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #93
harmonyisarine

I'm very self and mother-taught, but I recently came into the Bishop Guide to Clothing Construction, and I really like it. I learned a lot from the first chapters alone.

Though I am going to have to find that Dressing a Galaxy book now...
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #94
MythrilDragon
Psy...duck?

Another older sewing book that has been very handy to me is Sewing Made Easy by Mary Lynch. It's from the 1950s but it's been more helpful to me than a lot of newer books. The instructions are clear and to the point, and the diagrams are very helpful. Gotta love these older books
The nice thing about these books is that they don't assume you have the most advanced equipment or hard-to-find materials (since, obviously, a lot of things weren't even around at the time), so they're great for figuring out how to do things with what you have around.

Last edited by MythrilDragon : 10-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
MythrilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #95
ccsmiles

I didn't get into sewing through cosplay, rather, cosplay was sort of thrown at me because I owned a sewing machine... So I learned everything I know from the Built by Wendy books:
-Sew U (which teaches basic sewing skills);
-Built by Wendy Dresses (which had the starting patterns for most of the dresses I have made for costumes); and
-Built by Wendy Coats and Jackets.

All of these books come with three patterns and several projects with dramatic variations that really taught me how to be flexible with a pattern. Plus: Wendy Mullin has a really laid-back vibe, so the books are easy reads and the projects are really cool.

Additionally, I walk, talk, live and breathe by Sew Step-by-Step, which is a trimmed down and updated version of the Sewing Book; and Stitch Step-by-Step, just in case you ever need to know how to embroider/hand stitch anything.

Happy Sewing!
ccsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #96
Emrys

I just picked up Reader's Digest Complete Guide To Sewing - soooooooo helpful! Wish I had thought to check the library years ago instead of relying on the internet for everything. Didn't know what I was missing. XD
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #97
moogles1989
rxsias

pattern magic 1,2 &3 by Tomoko Nakamichi

of course they all on a 1/4 scale and in metric form but the graphics provided and examples are excellent, but also very very very advanced patternmaking i havent attempted any of them yet not till i get my sewing and design skills further along
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #98
Reily96
Zelda Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythrilDragon View Post
Another older sewing book that has been very handy to me is Sewing Made Easy by Mary Lynch. It's from the 1950s but it's been more helpful to me than a lot of newer books. The instructions are clear and to the point, and the diagrams are very helpful. Gotta love these older books
The nice thing about these books is that they don't assume you have the most advanced equipment or hard-to-find materials (since, obviously, a lot of things weren't even around at the time), so they're great for figuring out how to do things with what you have around.
Whoa, I just checked this book out of my college library! XD But yeah, so far it's proving well worth the read. It makes things incredibly easy to understand, and that's saying something from me seeing as I normally can't understand written instructions meant for brain-dead monkeys. >.>
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #99
moogles1989
rxsias

another one is couture sewing techniques by claire shaeffer, corset building for beginners, and the art of couture by zoya nudelman,
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #100
Blackcap

I have the Readers Digest guide to sewing as well, it is excellent. One book I highly recommend if you don't have a "perfect figure" and you're pretty much mastered sewing basics, "Fit for Real People" by Palmer/Pletsch. The styles in the book may be a little dated but the information is timeless - it gives you step by step instructions on how to fit a garment to your particular figure quirks.
Blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #101
strawintogold

So I'm new here and I've never sewed a day in my life. I've seen a few book suggestions here - Sewing for Dummies and the RD Guide are on my list - but are there any other books you guys would consider completely 110% necessary for learning how to sew? Preferably something with lots of diagrams and pictures because I'm a visual learner.
strawintogold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #102
hello_tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madding View Post
I love The RD Complete Guide to Sewing! I wholeheartedly credit that book with teaching me how to do invisible zippers.
I second this! I love this book!
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #103
Hyura
Wallflower

I have found Youtube and the internet in general to be the most handy, and free, of all resources, so I tend to just type up in google my newest challenges. However, I would recommend going to your local library for crafting/sewing/etc books and resources as well. It is completely free, and if you are like many cosplayers... that is a huge plus !

••• | Next Event :: NDK NYE 2012 "Unmasked" event by D.C.C !

L O V E ♥ to cosplay themed parties, make food & prop, & bring favorite series to life !
Hyura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #104
tardismuch

i have some really great historical fashion books:
-the tudor tailor
-authentic victorian dressmaking techniques
-authentic victorian sewing paterns

they are all really great books, and a few others i want are some by Janet Arnold and Frances Grimble.

the only time period i seem to have trouble finding in sewing and pattern books is the 1920s. it donsnt make sense to me, because that is one of the biggest eras in fashion, and there was a bit of a sewing-pattern boom. Why are there no sewing and patern books for the 20s????

actually, it you know of one can you let me know?
tardismuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #105
Talossa
We try hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardismuch View Post
the only time period i seem to have trouble finding in sewing and pattern books is the 1920s. it donsnt make sense to me, because that is one of the biggest eras in fashion, and there was a bit of a sewing-pattern boom. Why are there no sewing and patern books for the 20s????

actually, it you know of one can you let me know?
Are you in university, or do you live near a fairly large university or one with a textile program? They might have some of those in their libraries. Even if you're not a student, sometimes members of the public can get cards/use the materials.
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote