Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Unread 08-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Recommendations for irons?

I'm in dire need of a new iron- for the past while I've been using an ancient black&decker that sat in a cupboard for a decade, that I couldn't even fill with water (have to soak a cloth and lay overtop to press), has gotten several scratches and NOW, seems to be leaving stains on light fabrics. I'm starting artist-alley crafting and comissioning, so I NEED to invest in a really good, durable iron that will steam-press and iron/press just about all fabrics. However, as I've never had to buy one, I have no darn idea of what some particularly good/durable brands are, what ones are crap, and what ones are overpriced for their worth. Help me out please! As an FYI, I live in Canada but we get most USA-sold brands like black and decker, kenmore, GE, etc. I do NOT want to buy it online, shipping kills me everytime and the sooner I can get it the better.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
LadyoftheLake

The best irons out there are gravity feed but they are $$$$. They last forever but the up front cost is even too much for my blood. I think the buzz was that Rowenta isn't as good as it used to be. I actually use a Black and Decker "Classic." For a good press, you want to have an iron that is fairly weighty. Ironing ready to wear is one thing. Pressing the hell out of newly sewn seams is another. I like my Classic. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the others have but it's built like a beast and presses very well. If you don't have one, get a tailor's clapper. I have one and it's REALLY helpful for getting crisp seams on heavier fabrics like denim and bottom weight fabrics.
LadyoftheLake is offline   Reply With Quote