Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #16
CC64

I got a Pfaff Smart 100 for Christmas, and so far have used it for a variety of fabric. I love it.

It takes a little bit of fidgiting going from the heavy upholstry fabric to a light gauze, but it does it (and anyways...what machine doesn't require adjustments?). (My biggest problem was that after I got it home from my parents' house, I lost the manual, so I generally go by trial-and-error, or jump back and forth between sewing machine and computer, since Pfaff has the owner's manual online. Took me a few tries to figure out that hey, I need to thread the bobbin this way!)

Other than that, I've used a couple of Kenmores and Singers from the 1970's. Oldies but they work like a charm.

HOWEVER...if you're looking for a good machine that will last you for years, you do need to look for a machine that has metal gears. Many of the sewing machines out there today have plastic gears, and they just don't last, or stand up to those heavy sewing projects.

So I've made a few varieties of Schierke dresses, and cloaks for Guts and Serpico (all from Berserk), and I'm working on a pair of jeans. Future projects may include a panda-Genma suit and kimonos.
CC64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2007, 11:36 PM   #17
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
I use a Viking Husqvarna 100 series.
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
It's just over two years old now.
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
I've been sewing for over two years (as long as I've had my machine), and I'd say I'm at an intermediate level.
4) what do you like most about the machine?
It's remarkably easy to use. I've sewn just about every fabric under the sun with it easily and haven't touched the tension adjuster. It's incredibly durable and goes over thick layers easily. It's also pretty quiet, which is great when I'm up late at night finishing things. The only cleaning or maintenance it requires it cleaning out the lint every once in a while. Also, all the parts snap into place, so it's easy to take apart for cleaning, and it's really easy to thread and replace needles. I rarely have trouble with thread snagging or issues with the bobbin either.
5) what do you not like?
There isn't really anything I don't like. It's perfect in my eyes.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
Definitely. The downside is that they tend to be very expensive (mine was around $600), but they're definitely worth the price! Incredibly easy to use, and durable enough that you'll have it forever.
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #18
SpookyElectric
Vanship Pilot

My primary advice: Buy from a physical store
  • Check the default warranty - the people who make these know the limits of the machine the best. Longer warranty => sturdier construction.
  • At dedicated sewing machine stores, you can try out the models and see what you like. I recommend bringing a standard set of materials, including at very least pleater and denim. LISTEN to how the machine sounds - with cheaper machines, even if they can handle it, you can hear them struggling. Nice Vikings and such will breeze though it like nothing was different.
  • Prices are generally negotiable, and I think you'll always be able to find a better deal that online stores. In addition, you can often get some accessories and free lessons.
  • If you're trying to keep to a lower budget, often floor models are available at significant discounts. Same for older models in the same line / quality level.
  • Try out some friends' or family members' machines first, so you can decide what features you like, and what you don't. Especially knowing what things are a problem that you want to avoid is important.

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
I learned Summer 2003. My projects in the past two years have been oriented around leveling up my sewing skills, so I'd guess I'm something like advanced intermediate. See link in my sig sort the sort of stuff I've done.

----

Janome 525S
Summer 2005 => ~2yrs
  • 2km or so of thread has passed though it, and a plethora of materials, and no problems.
  • Quieter than most other machines I've used. (important when you have apartmentmates and are working late)
  • Standard low-shank and B style foot support makes it easy to find and share accessories.
  • Extra-high presser foot lift is nice for getting bulky materials under it to the other side. And presser foot pressure adjustment is handy to get some materials to feed better.
  • built-in needle threader & thread cutter are very handy. (they originally seemed kinda pointless - but you notice the benefit when you switch to another machine without it)
5) what do you not like?
  • I can't adjust the straight-stitch needle position to be right of center, only left of center. I like using the foot as a guide when doing trim and such, and having the right of center positions would be nice sometimes.
  • The motor has only one gear (I don't know if any have multiple gears, but I think it would be handy). For tougher materials (i.e. cowhide leather), it can't pierce the material unless it's running at a higher speed and thus has move force behind the needle. But I want to work at lower speeds, so I have to run it by hand then.
  • The wheel for running the machine by hand is kinda small. This seems the case with just about all newer machines. Unfortunately, that's not very ergonomic - I use my fingers and wrist to rotate it. I prefer older machines with bigger wheels, where the motion is mostly using your arm muscles, and less you hand. (I'm thinking of making my own version of the wheel to fix this)
  • 1-step buttonholer (fully mechanical) sometimes needs an extra nudge on the lever to switch phases.
Yes. It has served me well, and I expect it will continue to do so. There are better machines, but with a higher price tag on them. (In my shopping, a Viking was my favorite, but also more expensive) If you're curious, I think I paid a little over $300 for mine. (MSRP was as little under $500. Sticker price was about $400.)

----

Singer 306W - this is my mom's, which she got for her aunt. It's the first machine I've used, and still use from time to time when I'm there and a con is coming up.
It's at least 30 years old. Maybe even 40+. The model was introduced in 1957, but I don't think this one is quite that old.
It's older than me, and works great. It supports a variety of stitches, including everything I really need. It even lets me move the needle left or right of center (unlike my Janome). The motor's strength I think is a little bit more than that of my Janome. And the wheel to run it manually is a much more comfortable size.
5) what do you not like?
It's built into a table, which makes changing the bobbin more of a pain. Also, because of that, it's not a free-arm design, which makes sleeves a little more challenging. I'm also not so into the fact that stitch-width is a level rather than a dial. But when I used that machine more, I preferred it that way. So I guess it's a matter of what you're used to.
Yes. Though it may be a little hard to find. If a relative has one collecting dust, you may want to see about putting it back in use.

----

I've also used a friend's relatively new White sewing machine. It's a fairly basic $99 type one. It worked, but it's pretty unexceptional. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you absolutely can't afford better. Another friend's slightly higher-end than the White but still low end machine drove me nuts jamming all the time. Unfortunately I forget the make & model, and I'm not in much contact with her anymore.

When I was still new to stuff, mostly for my Full Metal Alchemist uniform, but also a bit for my Last Exile flightsuit, when working on pattern design, I used a cheap (~$10?) hand-held machine. It's barely worth that much. But it did (barely and with some frustrations) work. Then for sewing the final costumes, I borrowed more capable sewing machines (the White and the other one). That might be an option worth considering if you have some limited access to another machine, and are trying to work on a budget. Though I really would not recommend using one of those on the final costume. The single-thread stitch style is unstable, and one small break can cause the whole seam will come undone.

wow. long post. Sorry for taking up so much space. Hopefully it's useful to someone.

Last edited by SpookyElectric : 02-27-2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: fixed some typos
SpookyElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #19
euriclee

Smile

It's an AEG 791, actually a FY791 made by chinese company Yamata/Feiyue. It's just a basic machine.

I bought it over a year ago during a sale at Henny Reimerink in Enschede, for 55 euros (about $75) cos It was so cheap and I was fed up with hand sewing. It's got 20 stitches, 4 steps buttonhole and 4 stitches length and it's fullmetal inside.

I was taught to sew by hand and knit by my mom when I was 9. Nowadays I sew mostly blouses and pants for myself, so I'm at an intermediate level.

It's such a bargain, the machine runs smoothly, the stitching is nice and regular; I managed to sew medium weight denim with it; I haven't tried PVC or fake leather so I don't know if the machine can handle that too. It was easy to use and the manual was clear.

5) what do you not like?
The foot pedal, it feels very cheap and fragile and I'm scared of breaking it cos I wouldn't be able to find a replacement and have to get another machine. In case this happens, I'd buy a mid range Toyota.

I'm very satisfied with my machine but I wouldn't recommend it, namely because finding spare parts, at least in Europe is next to impossible, so if something goes wrong with the pedal you'll have to bin the machine even if it's still working. And I've heard horror stories about Yamata machines, I think I've been very lucky to get a good one.

My advice when you buy a sm is to first check the motor's power: anything less than 70 watts is pretty much useless cos you can't sew through light or medium weight denim, with 85 watts you can sew through anything.
Then check inside for plastic parts, do yourself a favour and don't buy a machine with plastic parts, it'll only give you trouble and will cost a fortune in repair. Anything weighting less than 6kg is no good, if you're hesitating over two similar models, buy the heaviest one.

Stay away from new Singer machines like the plague, the old ones are OK though; Brother's machines are OK except the very cheap ones because they have plastic parts, Toyota machines are outstanding, you get the quality of a Viking for the Price of a Brother, actually not many people know that some Vikings models are made by Toyota. You can buy a very good machine from the last two brands for less than 300 Euros.

Always make sure you use the right needle size/presser foot for your project and read the manual very carefully before doing something you're not sure of, and get your machine serviced every year if you use it often.
Get good quality thread, not the thread from the discount bin cos the cheap one will snap or jam your machine. Quality thread might cost more but it'll take you a long way, good brands are DMC, Guterman and Mettler.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by euriclee : 08-13-2007 at 04:25 PM.
euriclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #20
yaoikk
=3

K, just my two cents, but Pfaff is a really good brand (they have a good line and a bad line, the bad one being made in Taiwan currently that are really cheap due to the fact that they aren't the best). I've heard that Viking is good, too.

1) What Machine do you own?
The machine I have is a Pfaff Select 1548. Pfaff is a German brand that's been in business for a very long time, and I have to say the machines last a long time (my first one was over twenty years old and worked perfectly except for the fact that, since my mom hadn't cleaned or oiled it all that much, the gears were kinda funny after a lot of sewing).

I purchased my new one in July 07, so it's only a couple months old.

3) How much sewing experience do you have?
I don't have too too much sewing experience, though I am fairly advanced. Advice to beginners: pajama bottoms are good to start out with

I think the thing I like most about my machine is that it has a compartment that holds all the presser feet, bobbins and extra stuff that's built into the machine so I don't have to have a separate case for the stuff anymore. Plus, it comes with a feeder foot thingy (forget what it's called right now)

5) what do you not like?
Haven't used it that much, and so far nothing negative about it. Well, the bobbins it uses are a bit smaller than regular, but the machine comes with them, so...it's no big deal

Definitely!

Last edited by yaoikk : 09-02-2007 at 11:22 PM.
yaoikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #21
Yunalicia
Yevonite

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!Kenmore (385 I believe, it doesn't actually say on the machine)

Got it for Christmas.... 2002 , i believe so almost 5 years

Well I have been sewing since 2001 but that was mostly by hand then I got one of the mini machine and after my mom saw how much I used it and knew if she got me a good one it wouldn't be a waste. I don;t think my projects are too advanced but not necessarily easy. I desgin and draft alot of stuff myself.

It can take abuse! I have hauled this thing around the city on a bus and it keeps on going. The dials are easy to read and figure out, haven't read my manual much that how iteasy it is

5) what do you not like?
I really wish it had a stich width selector, it only has length. But seeing that it is a few years old i don't know if width selection was even available on standard machines. But there are a few bells and whistles that I was it had but it because I am more advanced in sewing now that I wish I had them still a great machine

Absolutely! I got mine from Sears and the people there were knowledgable and helpful. I also got an extended warranty through them and they fix the machines in the city so I don;t have to send it off for weeks to who knows where if it breaks.

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
niimurafuxxer

brother px-200.

I got it as a christmas gift in 2001 or 2002.
I've been actively sewing since 2004, and I go to school for dressmaking. projects range from high intermediate to advanced.
easy to use, still works like a charm after so many years. good selection of stitches, and relatively fast. (nowhere near the industrial machines, but good enough.) has only had to go in for repair once even though I have sewn dozens of garments with it.
5) what do you not like?
has trouble with very thick materials, and just recently there has been a problem with the stitch selector (it requires a bit of yanking around to get the stitch to switch). it's nothing major though, just a minor annoyance. I don't think there's anything else I would dislike about it.
yes, to a beginner to an indermediate one it is an all-around good machine. for advanced projects there are likely better sewing machines out there. I am planning to part with this after I graduate to get a more professional machine, but this one has served me well so far, and I am not in a hurry to change it even though I sew quite a bit and MANY different materials.
and rammed it through his chest.

costumes 2006 ;;
macare kyo - 90%
filth kyo - 90%
kadaj (advent children) - 15%
halloween town sora (KH1) with the pumpkinhead keyblade - 30%
ruki -cockroach pv- - in planning stage

niimurafuxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #23
anime_obsessed

Has anyone heard Elna? I saw the ad for the machine like 5 minutes ago in the newspaper. It's like $75 CAD. Anyone who has or has had an Elna, Would it be worth buying?
anime_obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #24
KFelidae
Mediocre Superhero

1) What Machine do you own?
White 77.
I was given the machine by my grandmother, who had been using it as a side-table since she doesn't do much sewing anymore. I've had it for about 5 years. The machine was probably produced in the late 40s.
3) How much sewing experience do you have?
I have sewn (simple) costumes in the past, as well as done some equally-simple quilting and repairs. Although the jobs have been simple, there has been a considerable amount of them.
It's big, sturdy, and reliable. The knee control is much easier to work than a foot pedal. Because the motor is external, I can see if something has gone wrong. Can run at a much slower RPM than most modern machines, which I like for precision purposes.
5) what do you not like?
It is big. Placement is an issue. The motor lacks power. I have to oil it every time I use it, and cleaning involves finding kerosine to pour into certain holes drilled into the cast-iron frame. Sometimes the thread will mysteriously un-tension itself (easily fixed, but a hastle).
If you're looking for a reliable workhorse to do general sewing, yes. It's a wonderful machine that will probably never break. It runs like a charm and can do damn near any job you ask of it, so long as you're fine with just one stitch type and going in a straight line. If you're looking for something to do anything lighter than t-shirt material or heavier than light leather, look elsewhere. It can't do fancy jobs.

It's like a Volkswagen -- it may be ugly and ungainly, but it'll get you there.

Last edited by KFelidae : 10-07-2007 at 03:14 AM.
KFelidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #25
Nora_

I own a Singer Samba 4.

The machine was first from my grandmother, and my parents got it from her. I guess it's more than 35 years old.

I have some basic sewing skills. Nothing special, but I do know how to put things together that are not too tight-fitting and all. A while ago I made my first pants, and they fit very well.

I love the machine cause it can do everything! I even sewed a fake leather dress, and most modern machines can not do that because they have no 'industrial rotating system' or something.

5) what do you not like?
The small amount of special stitches, and that it's really heavy.

Absolutely!! It's strong and simple, and that's just what you need in a sewing machine in my opinion

http://home.caiway.nl/~jcmduif/winke...0samba%204.jpg

Last edited by Nora_ : 10-16-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Nora_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #26
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Brother 2125i

This spring/6 months

I've been sewing for about 5 years, but I never had lessons, so I'm still an intermediate, as are my sewing projects.

It was cheap. :P No seriously, my old one broke, probably from lack of maintanence, and I was in the middle of a project for a con, and between paychecks, so I begged my boyfriend to buy me this cheapo machine.

Other than that? It's easy to thread, doesn't spit thread at me, and isn't too loud. The parts are mostly metal, so they won't break as easily as a newer Singer, I hate newer Singers...

5) what do you not like?

It has troubles with thick fabrics, like super thick interfacing and thick fur fabric. The feeddogs needed some help pulling these fabrics through, and the motor was audibly struggling.

Only if you're broke and can't afford something nicer. I'm possibly getting an embroidery machine for Christmas, so this one will be retired.

Just remember, the cheap machines will usually only last several years, the expensive ones will last 20 or more, so do yourself a favor and save up for a nice one.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #27
TR Rose
Meowing About

Kenmore 15208

Purchased summer 2005 at Sears, cost about $200

I've only really sewed since I got this machine, but between my husband and I, we've done quite a few projects. Between the two of us, we've made everything from ballgowns to military uniforms to fursuiting.
Galleries can be viewed here:
http://trsrockin.com/cosplay.html

It's handled every kind of fabric without much trouble. Fur, vinyl, faux suede, velvet, satin, spandex... It was inexpensive and does most basic sewing tasks.

5) what do you not like?
It doesn't do anything fancy like embroidery or serging. I can't really complain though, since it was inexpensive and does a great job of sewing anything I've put through it.

Definitely.
My mom and my husband's grandma have owned Kenmore machines with success for many years. Never really heard any complaints about the brand.
• 10th Doctor

Last edited by TR Rose : 11-11-2007 at 04:46 PM.
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #28
Kairi_Heartless
Does it make sense?

I just bought me a new one, since my mum wanted her own back. Now I call a Pfaff select 4.0 my own ^^ My mothers sewing machine was a Pfaff stretch&jeans 6120

Got it end of november

I'm sewing since... 2002 or so... but with help from my mum back then. Since fall 04 I'm sewing all by myself and I've learned a lot since then, 'tho I still have to learn a LOT

The same as yaoikk said *g* Oh, and the keyboard-like part

5) what do you not like?
The prize - it's quite expensive, but my mothers machine wasn't that cheap as well and worked wonderful for at least 15 - 20 years now... without problems...

I would, but more for cosplayer who already sewed for some time; it could be a bit difficult for a beginner when he/she doesn't have someone to teach him/her.
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #29
Andy Black
I'm 'fool' of cosplay

Here is my information, hope it'll help ^^

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please! I have a BROTHER LS-2125
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? My mother bought it for me in May 2006
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are) I sew sine I was a runt, but this was my very first sewing machine.
4) what do you like most about the machine? It is absolutely useful! ^^ You can work very fast and with accuracy. It is semi-small and it has lots of great options.
5) what do you not like? I really do like everything in my machine.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? Absolutely yes. It is not expensive (was about 150€ I think, I'm not sure since it was a present), pretty good and a very great machine. It is perfect ofr a begginer, but also for those cosplayers with more experience ^^

Of course, when you sew (no matter if it is or not with a machine) you have to be very imaginative XD Now I think I couldn't live without it, really u///u
Andy Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #30
I_am_a_bunnie
I gOt A jAr Of DiRt

maker: Brother
model: LS-30
when: just got it for christmas
expirence: only been using the machines for awhile but ive been hand sewwing for a few years
likes: you can choose the stitch leng, it has zigzag and straight stitch, has very good clean even seams, also comes with a 25 year warrenty ^^
dislkies: actually i enjoy my machine ^__^
recomendation: i say this machine because yes, it comes with a 25 year warrenty which can be VERY useful for a cosplayer and also its good for someone just learning to sew on a sewing machine
oh yeah and i havent done very complecated costumes for i have not a big budget but i can its a good machine that also comes with a niffty MP3 player holster pattern! haha! i said niffty....

Friday: Timejump Temari
Saturday: Timejump Sasuke
Sunday: ???

are you a Animazement attendie? come to my cosplay group on yahoo! its called AZCosplyerDungeon, have fun cosplaying ^^
I_am_a_bunnie is offline   Reply With Quote