Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average.
Unread 01-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
CelticGeisha
Onigiri 4 always

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
Janome 3125

2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
Recently, purchased from Premier Appliance via ebay for $50 after reading many great reviews on it. It is covered under warranty by the company as well.

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
Sewing since I was 12 or 13 but wasn't much interested then, left it alone for so many years and am now picking it back up again. I guess an experienced novice? LOL

4) What do you like most about the machine?
Not complicated or overwhelming. Has everything you need at first.

5) What do you not like?
I haven't encountered anything terrible yet. I recommend getting metal bobbins though, instead of the plastic ones that come with the machine.

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
Yes, and especially for a beginner.
CelticGeisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #32
AsianLink
PokéCam

Smile

Here's what I think. It largely depends on your situation and what you are planning to use it for. The current day plastic machines are great for just about anything except for heavy duty materials. They are lighter and portable and will give you at least a few years of good use. The older metal machines can usually be picked up for a pretty good price. They are usually heavy duty and can do thick and heavy materials. Since they are metal, they are not very portable but they last a loooong time if maintained properly.

OK, here goes.

1. a. Signature Sewing Machine UHT J276
b. Dressmaker S-2402
c. Singer 2662

2. a. Given to me by my mom, previously my aunts. Probably about 10-15 years old. Had some problems, replaced parts, like new.
b. Found in my dad's storage shed in the back yard. A bit older than Signature. Was missing pattern discs so I can only do straight and zig zag stitches.
c. Just bought today, missing some parts and probably needs a tune up. Recent machine

3. I started early 2007 and learned pretty quickly. I'm now praised as being the only guy in my dorms who owns and uses a sewing machine. I guess I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate.

4. a. Basic, heavy duty, all metal. Has a few stitch patterns and can do advanced stuff like twin needle and stuff like that.
b. Really basic, it just works great, all metal. Only does straight and Zig Zag stitches.
c. A lot more portable than my other 2 machines. This is the machine that i bring to cons in case i need to fix something. Easier to thread. Has auto tension and many easily selectable stitch patterns.

5. a. Big and heavy. Had some plastic parts that broke on me and had to replace.
b. Big and Heavy. Not very many built in patterns, requires pattern discs to get more stitches.
c. Plastic, I don't really like plastic as it tends to break faster. no easy access to inner workings when machine needs work.

6. a. I didn't find this machine user friendly for beginners. It took me like 3 weeks to completely learn how to use it and had many problems at first.
b. Very simple. It basically worked. It sewed on cue and never jammed or anything like that.
c. light and easy to use. Probably on the pricier side if bought new but pretty easy to learn. Not very good for heavy materials but portable, you can tote it to a friends house, a con, or to sewing lessons.

I hope that wasn't too overwhelming and that this info is useful. Also, treat your machine with care and don't forget to oil it. Good Luck
  • King DeDeDe (Kirby Series, SSBB) 10%
  • Fox McCloud (Starfox series, SSB) 10%
  • Sajin Komamura (Bleach) 90%
  • Jon Talbain 10%

Last edited by AsianLink : 01-24-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added model #
AsianLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #33
sakura yuna
AX Staff Member

1) What Machine do you own?
Singer 5062C
About 7 years old. From Costco
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
I have been sewing for about 5 years now. As for advanced...well I can sew basic costumes. Nothing too terribly hard. Working on that.
4) what do you like most about the machine?
Fast and very smooth, and it has easy threading! ^_^
5) what do you not like?
The fact that it is heavy, and not travel friendly. It's a home sewing machine.
Oh hell yes. Singers are VERY good sewing machines.

"I'm here to fight for truth, justice, and the American Cosplayer." -Superman (1980)
"I find your lack of Cosplay disturbing." -Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
sakura yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #34
volleybiggs

my sewing machine

Morse 200 Deluxe....NEVER OVER LOOK AN OLD WELL MAINTAINED SEWING MACHINE they are worth it if they are under $100

Recently, purchased from Good Will for $60. It is 35 years old and really great. Does not Zig Zag but does double stitch and everything is metal on it on nothing will ever break. I love it

For about 5 years.

Very Easy to work. Durable and came with a beautiful table.. Love the Knee power.

5) What do you not like?
Nothing..just need to get a better belt. I sew alot and they wear through one a week.

Yes For sure.
volleybiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #35
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

1) What Machine do you own? Janome Excel Pro 5124

2) When did you purchase it/how old is it? December 2007

3) How much sewing experience do you have? I have about 5 years under my belt.

4) What do you like most about the machine? It's idiot proof. Needle always stops in the up position. There's a cheatsheet printed on the lid with the proper settings for each stich. It's REALLY easy to thread and wind the bobbin. I didn't even have to crack the manual open to get started.

5) What do you not like? The pedal/power cord is really short IMO. But that's easily fixed with an extension cord.

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? ABSOLUTELY! Actually, my buddy Diastelo has one and she liked it so much that she picked it out for me for my wedding present.

This is a great machine for beginners and advanced alike. It has almost every stitch you could want (including button holes,) is user-friendly, and affordable. The price is around $350 or so and you can find them refurbished for half that.

Thus far my machine has taken on heavy denim, velcro, chiffon, organza, pleather and spandex without any problems. The one thing is would not do is go through 8 layers of broadcloth, and I don't really blame the machine on that one.
Unread 03-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #36
Penlowe

Hi
Long time sewer and costume maker, new to cosplay. I'm a regular troubleshooting & guiding poster on Craftster.org when it comes to new sewers and their machines. This is what I wrote for them, it applies here just as well:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=214760.0

I learned to sew on my mothers lap, then I had a 'toy' sewing machine that really sewed and I made doll clothes. Then when I could be trusted alone with the machine I used great grandmothers treadle- yes really, a pedal powered machine. Then I progressed to moms glorious 1940's solid steel Elna that she bought used in the early 70's (she still has it & uses it).
When I went off to college I bought my own machine, a Kenmore from Sears (all Kenmore are some other brand inside, I believe mine was a Husky Star). About a year ago when I took it in for routine maintainance the guy said "ma'am, if this was a car it'd have one hundred thousand miles on it. Have you considered a profesional quality machine?". He was right I truly nearly wore out that great little machine.
In October my husband got a nice fat dividend check and said "go get the one you want, it's your Christmas present". I am sewing more than ever on my Janome 6600 Home Proffesional Quilters Edition, Pricetag? Hefty, $2K. I love this machine, and have beem happy with several of the less expensive models I used that belonged to friends as well. I'm pretty much sold on the brand

So, yeah, I'm pushing 40 and been sewing for 30 years.
Craftster has tons of nice info about specific problems with machines while sewing if you need further refrences, (like thread doing weird thing, how did this pucker, etc) I know I'll be around here more often too
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #37
Rei 0

Bernina 801

25-30 years old, I got it from my mother

A couple years, and my sewing projects are about moderate. They're not super easy but they're not particularly difficult.

All metal inside and outside, with the exception of about two gears and the knobs on the outside. Can do some basic stiches, not many fancy ones. It's not huge, the arm is small enough to be able to sew smaller projects. It has good stiches at slow and fast speeds, can sew through multiple layers of heavy fabric with ease. The power cord and the foot pedal cords are a good length. Definately long enough.

5) what do you not like?
It needs a little servicing (It's almost 30 years old and was a floor model). Can't sew for you. It's older so feet and whatnot are kind of expensive. Hard to get the exact size needles it wants, although 705H works well enough.

Absolutely. I've used and abused it learning how to sew and it's no worse for the wear. It's lasted this long and I expect it to last another 20 years at least. Compared to the 830 I think this one goes for less on ebay, and still has almost all of the same functionality. It's easy to thread, easy to wind and load the bobbin. Easy to get to places to clean and maintain it. It's actually fairly easy to lug around outside of the case because it's smaller than the 830. Also, the manual goes over EVERYTHING.

Last edited by Rei 0 : 04-02-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: adding a bit about the manual.
Rei 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #38
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

Singer sewing machine (no idea what the model number is) and Singer Ultralock serger

Both gifts =D the sewing machine in 2002, and the Serger in 2005.

i sewed on a Juki overlock (serger, industrial grade) when i was like 7-8? (first grade) did REALLY simple stuff, strait lines for sleeve cuffs. period. and played around with the juki sewing machine. (attempted to make barbie clothes ^^; then stopped after a few attempts. wanted to cosplay and discovered my mom sold the Juki sewing machine when i was in college (it was also industrial grade) got a singer then. been sewing ever since. my most advanced projects by far are my trinity blood costumes. finally made full usage of my sewing machine and serger's capabilities.

Simple, easy to use, easy to thread, same goes for the serger.

5) What do you not like?
must have Metal bobbins for the sewing machine, and its difficult for first timers to get the tension right. once you get it though, make sure to always rethread the WHOLE thing from the beginning or you'll mess the timing up and sewing machine repairs may cost as much as your machine.

the serger, needles are rare. requires special 2022 needles found either only at the singer website, or every now and then at your craftstore. when they're in, i buy them out for the just in case scenarios.

yes, a regular sewing machine is all about tension, get it wrong, and it'll give you a really hard time. even with the industrial grade ones i've played around with, they do such nice things......(like cut your thread for you when you're finished, re-thread, etc) and i've played around with a few models, juki, singer, brother, kenmore)

the serger, maybe when you feel more comfortable with sewing, some people dont like them, but i love them. takes the headache right out of frayed edges =D but u have to be careful. one mistake and you may have a piece that's too small for you because it trims away as its serging.
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #39
Solai Tsukada
Ramen Slurper

1) What Machine do you own? I own a Janome M100 mini sewing machine
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? it's barely half a year old
3) How much sewing experience do you have? not too much, ive sewn a pillow and half sewd a kimono on my mom's machine ((a Brother, i think)) but im getting better and I've managed to make 4 full, but simple costume with it so far
4) what do you like most about the machine? it's very lightweight and small enough to fit nicely on a tv tray, 8 stitches, 3 of which are zig zag and a easy drop in bobbin. that was my trouble with my mom's machine, the bobbin.
5) what do you not like? it can't sew thru too many layers or heavy fabric.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? only if they live in Ireland or the UK and can get to an Argos. they have better, but i was on a low budget.

Nom-Con '11
Kurama - Yu Yu Hakusho (0%)
Duo Maxwell - Gundam Wing (5%)

EirtaKon '11
Edea - Final Fantasy VIII (0%)
Litchi Faye Ling - BlazBlue (5%)
Solai Tsukada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #40
MegumiHime
Fairy Doctor

I am currently in the market for a new machine. I've been through two machines thus far, a Singer and a EuroShark Pro. I need something that is heavy duty, that can put up with daily sewing (that involves thick, heavy material such as twill, vinyl, etc) and I would like the machine to be all metal parts. I wasn't impressed with a Singer at all and I'm trying to see if my Shark is save-able.

What brands and models do you recommend? My price range is between $200-500, since I'm looking for something over all that will last in a long run and can handle the sewing I do. I prefer the cheaper, the better, but I've learned now with my last two machines, the cheaper isn't always the better in the long run.

Thanks!
Unread 05-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #41
fakeradish

1) What Machine do you own?
I own a Janome Sew Mini (Hello Kitty edition)

I purchased it in or around December of '06, brand new, for around $60, after my 1940s sakura-pink Singer kicked the bucket. It would have cost about $250 to repair, and I will get it repaired someday, but I figured I'd just get a cheap-o machine to fill the gap. Plus the Singer is physically attached to a table, which makes it difficult to get to a repair shop, and it had a knee trigger, which made my knee sore after an hour or so of sewing.

3) How much sewing experience do you have?
Quite a lot. My mother was constantly sewing when I was younger.

For the price, it is a TANK. I use the thing almost everyday and abuse it mightily, but it simply doesn't give up. I've sewn everything from pleather, to denim, to delicate silk with it (with different needles, of course) and I haven't had a single seize-up or needle-break. I also like how the foot pedal neither decelerates or accelerates - I'm the kind of person that doesn't have the greatest pedal control ever.

5) what do you not like?
I do wish it had a button-holer, and a satin stitch function.

If you are on a budget, this is a fantastic machine. Also it is sky blue with Hello Kitty and cute lil' cherries on it. Win-win, I'd say.
fakeradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #42
november.eyes
Srsly.

1) I have a White (which is BLUE lolz lolz lolz) model #967. It's interesting as it made into it's own table. Also, it's foot pedal is on the side of the inner desk wall, so I have to press it with my knee.

2) It's been passed along quite alot. I have no idea how old it is, as I can't find anything about it on google, besides manuals. I got it from my sister, who got it from my grandma

3) How much sewing experience do you have? I've been sewing since I was about 12 or so. I've refitted shirts and sweaters and stuff for years. I've done three full cotumes myself though.

4) what do you like most about the machine? I LOVE the footpedal on the side. Mostly 'cause I'm one of those people who always accidentally press the footpedal and sew over their hand when threading the needle. Plus no excess cord to trip on. The desk is also great. When I don't want to sew, I just flip the sewing machine down into the hollow desk, then flip over the desk flap. It turns into a cute little bedside table . Plus the stitch width goes SO small, and it doesn't eat my material like my husqvarna.

5) what do you not like? The manual is terrible. It tell you how to thread the bobbin and straight stitch, threading the needle and important stuff, and comes with diagrams, but It doesn't explain some buttons and knobs which I still hae no idea how to use D: Also, thread tension is screwed alot of the time. I still haven't found the knife...

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? Hmm.... Personally I wouldn't pay over $50 for it in the condition mine is in now. I like to relate it to an old stubborn grandma who's still obsessed with the "old times" and doesn't want to die. I still love her though <3
november.eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #43
EelKat
Bride of Sesshomaru

Brother LS-2125, which replaced a Singer that was very similar in type

I also still have my old machine which is a JCPenny one from the 1970's that I keep because it does like 200 decorative top stitches. I literally used that machine to death, there was a while when it was running steady day in and day out for weeks on end, I was using it like a "professional" machine and killed the motor as a result. It'll still sew, but it goes slow and stops after an hour or so (I think it over heats), so I only use it for top stitching now.

Well, the flood that destroyed my old sewing machine, happened in May of 2006, and I got this one the fall of that same year, so its about 2 years old

My mother was a seamstress. I sewed my first cloth doll at age six. At age 12 I sewed my first ball gown. At age 14 I enrolled in a two-year college course in pattern making and fashion design. At age 16 I sewed my first dress made from my own pattern designed by me. Today, 13 years later 90% of my clothing consists of historical re-enactment costumes all designed and sewed by me, made from my own patterns. In my most extreme, things are hand embellished with embroidery and bead work, I do a lot of hand sewing in addition to machine sewing. Though I do not sell my work, I sew on a very advanced professional level, such as compared to designers in France and Italy. I have devoted a great deal of my life to perfecting my sewing and designing skills, my ultimate goal is to open my own shop selling Gothic apparel, historical reenactment garbs, and CosPlay costumes..

I like that it is a light weight "travel" model, making it easy to pack up and take with me, just about anywhere.

Initially I bought it because, as I said, a flood pretty much destroyed everything, and me living without a sewing machine is just out of the question. I was short on cash and needed a machine that would go anywhere and do all the basic things (straight and zig zag), and I needed a machine that I could buy right than, instantly without having to save up for it or take out a loan for it , so I ended up in WalMart and bought the one machine they had that, judging from the display machines, was the best buy for the money.

Basically it's a good, inexpensive machine that will get the work done. It has no special features, no computer, basically it is no different from a machine you would have bought in the 1950s - 1970s I think it was like $149 or something like that.

5) what do you not like?

I wish it was a more "heavy duty" machine, like my old JCPenny one was (which cost like $300 back in the 1970's, when the average machine was just $50).

There really isn't anything to not like about it, I mean it's a cheap "student's" machine, so it does what it's made to do and nothing more. I'll have to dish out more money if I want a better quality machine, but for now it suits me, as I don't sew quite as much as I used to. If I start up full time sewing day in and day out again though, I'd need a better machine as I don't think this one is built to take that kind of steady use.

Oh, most definitely. It's a good reliable machine. Great for the occasional sewer, who only makes a costume once every few months or just wants to make a few crafty gift items for birthdays and Christmas, and such. For the average home sewer this'll do just fine.

If you wanted to go professional, though, and start whipping out a couple of costumes a week, than you'd need a better quality than this one though.

In the past I've sewed on several other machines as well, including one of those old green Singers from the 1940s! (boy did that thing drive like a tank! I think it would sew through a block of wood if you told it too!)

From the machines I've used, I'd say most any Singer built before the 1980 would be a good buy, so long as it's still running.

I tend to steer clear of digital and computerized machines, simply because they seem to focus more on the little details, lie embroidering logos and such, and I do all my embroidery by hand because it looks so much better than machine, even if it does take 2 weeks to hand sew what a machine can sew in under 5 minutes.

I'd recommend getting 2 machines. One cheap, light weight travel/student type that you can take on the road with you and use for you basic small stuff on a daily basis; and one heavy duty (possible older) model that you can use for years and years and sew through any fabric you feed into it.

I silk, kimonos, and pretty men in fur boas!

Some thoughts on making a Sesshomaru costume historically accurate.

My Sewing & CosPlay Blog (where to find out what I'm working on now.)

Last edited by EelKat : 05-18-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling errors... I hate those!
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #44
Ion
Lyrical gangster

- White model 1888 - Jeans Machine
- White 2000ATS Serger

2) When did you purchase it/how old is it?
The 1888 sewing machine was given to me as a gift in 2005. I bought the serger as a refirb. last year and do not know its age. But it's in immaculate condition. I occasionally use my mother's White 1505 which is over 15 years old. We've never had to do repairs on it.

3) How much sewing experience do you have?
I've been sewing since I was 11. I guess I'd consider myself "advanced". I made all my Halloween costumes, any formal gowns I wanted including my 2 prom dresses, a dozen or so note-worthy cosplays, and much miscellany.

The sewing machine is a beast! It can stitch through canvas, denim, leather, foamie, and vinyl with no problems. It handles more dainty fabrics as satin, silks, and brocades very well too.

Same goes for the serger. It's an easy-thread and open front model which is very handy. I haven't had any issues with either my machine or serger.

5) what do you not like?
The sewing machine is not digital and lacks the flair that many new machines have. To be honest I generally use straight & zig zag stitches and the serger for everything but the option of having a machine I can grow into would have been nice. However, both my machines serve their purposes and I'm quite happy with them.

Absolutely! I highly recommend both. My family has never had trouble with our White sewing machines and we sew on a weekly basis. We like them because the models we have tend to contain more metal parts than many other machines [plastic tends to not age well or handle heavy useage] and they're total work-horses. My mother's 1505 is a bit nicer than mine which is basically a student's model, but I think either would suit anyone novice to advanced.

I'm also a fan of Husqvarna machines. Though I don't own one, they've always been reliable when I used them.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #45
phantomjunkie
Roxas Fangirl ^w^

I don't actually have a sewing machine at the moment, but I've been promised an Elna that is 30+ years old and still runs perfectly. It was my grandmother's and given to my mother, but my sister bought a new computerized sewing machine, and since she lives at home it's much easier and lighter than the Elna. When I get moved into my apartment in August my mom is going to bring it down to me so that I'll have it for any last-minute projects before my friends and I head to AWA.
Pokemon Black/White Mall Event--Discover Mills, Atlanta, GA
AWA 2011

Current Costumes (In Progress):
Bianca (Pokemon) 0%
Professor Juniper/Araragi (15%)
Tsunade (chuunin) (30%)

Dream Costumes:
Queen Minnie (Kingdom Hearts II)
phantomjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote