Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 06-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #46
Yamidragon
version 2.0

right now, I'm using a machine that is 25+ years old- it works ok, however it jams sometimes and can be a real pain to change thread, so I'm looking for a new one at the moment- this forum has been useful : )
Yamidragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #47
Blasphemy Blue
Robot Unicorn

I currently own a Bernette 75, which works well enough for its purposes. It's a good machine, but I'm wondering if getting something new would be a good goal.

After a long week of thinking it over, I'm pretty sure my problems with the Bernette are more user-related than the actual machine. XD;

+Planned Conventions for 2010 +

Nan Desu Kan - Denver

+Planned Conventions for 2011 +

Sakuracon - Seattle
Anime Expo - Los Angeles [ AND/OR ] Anime Evolution - Vancouver
Nan Desu Kan - Denver

Planned costumes listed in profile
Blasphemy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #48
shmac

Oh my Lord, this thread [oh God, that could be classified as a pun, almost. Dx] is going to help me so much. That is, if our sewing machine works. If it doesn't, I'll have just wasted an hour or two reading. =]
-sigh-
Thank you. =]
shmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #49
Yaorii
Any Advice Will Help ! !

Wow, thanx for the info peoples. I was looking for something jus like this to help me buy my first Sewing Machine ! Thanx so much ! ! !
Unread 07-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #50
stefaniecat
Camera Cat

Heh, I started the thread... finally decided what I wanted

1) What Machine do you own?
Kenmore 16221

2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
Last weekend, so its one week old. Bought on sale for $169. (regular $199) so used the savings to get the 2 year warranty, and a spare set of bobbins and needles.

3) How much sewing experience do you have?
I'm a competent sewer of simple things, can follow a pattern and improvise a bit. Been sewing on machines since home economics classes in 8th grade and with my grandma, but I'm no expert.
Even the simplest looking baby blanket can be frustrating since sewing straight through cotton batting is a pain...

4) what do you like most about the machine?
It met my basic requirements: c. $200 with straight and zig zag stitches, detachable arm, drop in bobbin, and can theoretically handle denim weight fabrics. I wanted a simple machine, but not the low end model.

Popped it open when I got home, was threading the needle and winding the bottom and stitching stuff in minutes... so it meets all my requirements.

5) what do you not like?
Well, they can always be quieter.... and I'd much prefer vertical thread over the horizontal feed.

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?

So far, so good. Its a simple machine to operate, and I think I made a good choice for my sewing needs. Anyone with similar sewing needs would probably be very happy with this machine.
stefaniecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #51
KVCnext
Why so serious?

If I was to make a bodysuit, what type of sewing machine would be best?
KVCnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #52
stefaniecat
Camera Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVCnext View Post
If I was to make a bodysuit, what type of sewing machine would be best?
I'm assuming spandex, but bodysuits can be made of other materials such as leather/pleather, so you need to do two things:
1) determine what kind of material you're sewing, and if your machine is 'rated' to handle it.
2) get the correct needle for that fabric type

For example with spandax, I know my machine can take it. I need a zig zag stitch and my blue tipped (spandex type) needle.
Unread 07-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #53
KVCnext
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefaniecat View Post
I'm assuming spandex, but bodysuits can be made of other materials such as leather/pleather, so you need to do two things:
1) determine what kind of material you're sewing, and if your machine is 'rated' to handle it.
2) get the correct needle for that fabric type

For example with spandax, I know my machine can take it. I need a zig zag stitch and my blue tipped (spandex type) needle.
I'd be wanting to make it out of either spandex or Lycra. So if I buy a machine rated for it and a blue tipped needle, I should be okay?
KVCnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #54
stefaniecat
Camera Cat

Well, I don't know if all brands do blue tipped, but most machines out there will sew spandex. You just should make sure you're using the right needle and the right settings on your machine.
Unread 07-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #55
waterdancer

I have a brother, im not sure the model number, but it was the absolutely cheapest sewing machine at walmart. also my first sewing machine. it cost me like 80$.

i think its a great beginners sewing machine, but thats it. its very easy to understand, strait stitch, mountain stitch, and a couple variations of those. tension control. comes with foot for button holes. served me well enough for the year ive owned it.

there are quite a few downfalls to it. when i first got it, it kept getting grease on the string, so anything white looked black or grey at first. turned out there was just an overabundance of grease on one of the mechanism and after cleaning it out with a q tip it was fine. ive definitely stressed lots of different weights under it and have seen that it can easily handle most fabrics twice or thrice over. cases, like in corners, where it gets real bulky, it might need a lil help getting under the foot, and then i recommend going nice and slow, cause with too much material, it has caused nasty gather on the other side. also, anything very very thin and working on teeny tiny hems, the machine might pull down the fabric and munch it. =/
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #56
Diefbaby

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
I own an ancient White machine that belonged at one time to my mother. She was given it by my grandfather in the early 1970's when my older sister was little. I also own a Janome Sew Mini that I purchased in 2007.

White machine - early 1970's
Janome - 2007

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
My mother taught me to sew when I was about 8. I made a few things but around 2000 started cosplaying and making costumes. I now make all my costumes and make doll clothes on commission. I currently also work for an industrial sewing company making uniforms.

The White machine is a total workhorse that so far has handled everything I've been able to throw at it. It's starting to show its age and needs a tune up but it still runs fantastic.
The Janome machine is nice for a beginner as it has limited settings. It can only do a straight or a zig-zag stitch. It's portable as well.

5) what do you not like?
The White machine is housed in a sewing cabinet currently so it isn't portable at all.
The Janome machine isn't very good with small pieces of fabric.

Yes, to both machines. Both have their good points and bad points like every machine.

I'm also in the market for a serger for home use. I'm thinking of going with the White brand because I've read good reviews of them. Does any one have recommendations?

If you're gonna break the rules, break 'em good and hard!-Granny Weatherwax
Diefbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #57
Honey Usagi-chi

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
JC Penney Retail #: 6976 Catalogue #: 868-4144

My mother bought it in the late 80s when my sister was born, she sewed her baby clothes.

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
I've been sewing for a year and have had some projects in theatre to do in the costuming area. I wouldn't quite say I'm a beginner but I'm not advanced either. I've worked with very different aspects of sewing though ^_^;

It's tough, the components are made of metal and the exterior too. I could probably kill someone with it >.>; I dropped it before on my way to a sewing meet for the TexPlex, it worked just fine afterwards. I can also turn off the light, which helps because it gets the top really hot. It's sewed through some heavy stuff and can go realllllly fast.

5) what do you not like?

My mom lost the manual, and I found it online but I don't really want to pay for it. And I'm not sure which kinds of needles or other presser feet will fit into it, so I'll have to take it in to those sewing world thingies. When I first started out with the machine, you have to get the hook to start at the top anytime you begin or end a stitch. I found it tedious at first, but it's now a thoughtless habit.

If you find it, absolutely! It has the basics, straight stitch, zig zag, reverse option, and stitch lengths. It also has some other stitches (like those weird ones you use for scalloping, a few serger-esque looking ones) but I haven't had the need to use it yet. It's really easy to thread too, and the bobbin is more convenient since if there's a tangle you can just take the bobbin out. You just need to get used to it (Maybe you don't, but I started out hand sewing so it was definitely strange)
Honey Usagi-chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #58
Pretty Sammy
5th Squad Captain

1) What Machine do you own?
I own a relatively new Singer 7462.

I received it as a gift for my sixteenth birthday, around a year and a half ago. It was around $180 and hands-down, the best present I've ever gotten.

3) How much sewing experience do you have?

I've only been sewing for two years now (I learned to sew specifically for cosplay). But I've sewn a variety of garments. I'd call myself an intermediately skilled seamstress.

This machine not only has a variety of beautiful stitches, but is quiet and super easy to use. It's, in my opinion, the perfect machine for beginners and experts alike.

Super easy to set up, with a detachable arm too.

5) what do you not like?
Well...sometimes on stretchy fabrics, it misses a zig-zag stitch or two, but that's because of the fabric, not because of the machine.

Most definitely. My sewing machine is my baby.

Conventions for 2011:
Anime Los Angeles '11
Anime Conji 11'
Fanime '11
Kintoki-Con '11
AM2 '11
San Diego Comic-Con '11

Proud Half of "We're Not Twins Cosplay"

Pretty Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #59
khatera
Hero Cosplaying Fotogrphr

I got a question.

I understand what sewing machines are but what is the difference between them and sergers?

When I was in high school we had one to do the inside stitches and I never really learned much about it. (Someone else had to sew for me b/c I wasn't great doing it straight xD, at least I'm somewhat better now)

Oh and would a serger be better for a beginner cosplayer or would you prefer a regular sewing machine?

Cosplays:
- Axis Powers Hetalia: America, Ottoman Empire (won Best Novice Craftsmanship)
- Naruto Shippuden: Sasuke
- Assassin's Creed: Altair and Ezio
- Dangerous: Michael Jackson
- COD MW2: Private James Ramirez / Cover Ranger WIP

Skits:
- The Otaku (AUSA 2008)
- Wolf's Rain: Fight to Paradise (Katsu 2010)
khatera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #60
Honey Usagi-chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itskhaterax3 View Post
I got a question.

I understand what sewing machines are but what is the difference between them and sergers?

When I was in high school we had one to do the inside stitches and I never really learned much about it. (Someone else had to sew for me b/c I wasn't great doing it straight xD, at least I'm somewhat better now)

Oh and would a serger be better for a beginner cosplayer or would you prefer a regular sewing machine?
You know those stitches on your clothing? The complicated loops between the straight stitches? That is what a serger does. A sewing machine does more simpler stitches, serger's are for more heavy duty (and machine washing)

I would recommend a sewing machine for a beginning cosplayer. I handsewed my garments at the beginning and when I finally got to use a machine, it was something completely foreign to me. Yes I was still sewing, which I was good at by hand, but it was different. I can't imagine starting out with a serger, they're complicated to thread at times and more than one needle is going at once X_x; A machine alone takes some getting used to (at least for me), but a serger for the beginning @_@

I just came here to say what beginners should look for in a sewing machine, thank you for allowing me the opportunity! You should at least have a zig zag and straight stitch option, along with a reverse stitching lever (or button on some) with different stitch lengths and widths (You'd want long running straight stitches for when you practice or test out a new method on mockups) If you are not getting these options, you are being ripped off.
Honey Usagi-chi is offline   Reply With Quote