Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 10-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #76
The_Ninja

Awesome! I'm going to go with that model then.

I'm definitely going to be sure to check out all the parts and everything before I take it home - thanks for the advice! ^_^

Unread 10-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #77
22Tsuji22

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please! It is a Viking
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? 25+years
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)Ummm about 3 years ago?
4) what do you like most about the machine? ....
5) what do you not like? It eats my fabric all the time...but my mom has no problem with it. I think it hates me.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
Maybe...

This review might change...my mom is taking it to get cleaned? or something this week. Hopefully then it will like me. I used the sewing machines at school, I loved them. They were easy to thread and everything. Other people had problems with them...but I thought they rocked lol

Cosplayed
Shugo Chara Egg - Yuuka Maeda(Amulet Heart) 100% done! Yays! ^__^
22Tsuji22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #78
winter_kira
need other cosplayers

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please! Singer
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? 2 months......
3) How much sewing experience do you have? 2 years.
4) what do you like most about the machine? ....
5) what do you not like? It never threads and the needles break after 1 use.
No
Chii
~.Insert Akio's evil stalker laughter.~
winter_kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 01:46 AM   #79
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!Mine is a Janome, the model is 415

2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? close to six or seven years old

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)About six or seven years (when got the sewing machine for Home Ec. I guess I can say maybe intermediate?

4) what do you like most about the machine?I can sew some pretty think fabric together so it's sturdy and it came with a lot of stuff-like a button foot, zipper foot, hem guide, seam ripper, hemmer foot, screwdriver, etc...and has all the basic setting that one may use a lot-it as a setting for a buttonhole stitch

5) what do you not like?It's not as fancy as some of the other machines like the computerized onces out there that can do more stuff and it has some things just made for the Janome, like the ruffle attachment but it can be difficult to find at times

Sure, it's a pretty good and sturdy machine I believe, it's the only machine I ever had or used but so far I had no problems with the machine itself. I can't remember how much it cost but it seems to be a good investment.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra

Last edited by chibi_kitsune : 12-18-2008 at 01:49 AM.
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #80
Lovefromwcu
The Obsessed

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!

I own a Brother CE4000

2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?

It is only about 5 months old (I got it after my 1969 Brother finally decided to RIP)

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)

I've been sewing on and off for about 3 years, but I started really getting into it with the purchase of my new machine, and have now gotten to the point that I go for advanced projects, such as Restoraction Era clothing, corsets, frilly dog dresses, lolita gear, etc.

4) what do you like most about the machine?

It does everything pretty much on its own. No maintenance, no bobbin tension adjustment, many stitches are preprogrammed that are necessary in advanced clothing construction (overcasts, buttonholes, zipper, stretch material specialty, etc), extra presser feet were provided, which I use often (overcast, buttonhole, button placement, zipper, quilting, etc), ... I could go on and on

5) what do you not like?

Nothing has happened to make me not like my machine, but I do have one worry in particular: the fact that it does everything on it's own with no maintenance except some air presser cleaning and brushing makes me nervous. It seems like if something does go wrong, it would be harder to access and assess the problem.

Indeed, as it can be used for basic, intermediate, and advanced projects. It even has stitches close to the quality of a Serger, while still including basic and decorative ones. Also, everything is digitally adjustable in length and width with the press of a button. It really is a cynch to set up, get going, and take care of, and the booklet is very useful for eveything from first time use to the advanced techniques such as shirring, installing buttons and buttonholes, and installing tricky zippers. It has simple error messages in case a problem does happen, and has a detailed explanation of each in the booklet. All in all, it's really worth the price. While it retails between $200 and $300, I got mine at Overstock.com for $103 all-told, including shipping and handling, and a 2 year guarantee. Here's the link:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...0/product.html

** I just noticed on the site that the CE5000 is the same price as of right now (probably a special sale). It seems as if it has a few more stitches (mine has 40, this has 50), bu that's it. Still, it's another 10 stitches for the same price**
  • Argilla (Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga)
  • Anissina von Karbelnikoff (Kyou Kara Maou)
  • Daniella (Haunting Ground)
  • Milly Ashford (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion)
Lovefromwcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #81
The_Ninja

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please! Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? I got it about three months ago
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are) I've been sewing for about six years now, but I'm only just starting to make things that aren't super-simple. I don't know.
4) what do you like most about the machine? I LOVE that it's powerful. It eats through four layers of denim like the fabric isn't even there. Yet, at the same time, it's really quiet. It feels very sturdy, which is nice. The guide that comes with it is also easy-to-follow.
5) what do you not like? Nothing
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? Definitely.
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #82
VBartilucci
Freelance Pontificator

I'm using a refurbed Brother CE-4000 that I bought through Amazon at about half price (90 bucks). I have barely scratched the surface of its power. Save for one experiment with making a buttonholr on some scrap, I haven't tried any of the other feet that came with it. It's got a couple of good stiches I'm using for logo embroidery, and great ones for hemming. Easy to load and simple to use. Quite pleased with it.

Odds are most of the problems I'm having (keeping the fabric folding over for hems, etc) can be solved by those feet. I'll have to look into it.
VBartilucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #83
Traxy

I do cosplay and make lots of renaissance costumes with a lot of gathering. I'm about to be moving and my mom's sewing machine isn't moving with me. I also to some corset work as well so I would need something heavy duty. Is there anything that anyone might suggest?
Traxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #84
PockyRevolution
Alex

I don't know if anyone has linked to this FAQ before (it's outside of CosCom), but it may help a bit if someone needs to weigh their options http://www.cet.com/~pennys/faq/smfaq.htm
PockyRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #85
Devkyu

1) What Machine do you own?
-Shark (by Euro-Pro X)

-About 3-4 years old.

3) How much sewing experience do you have?
-Sewing minor projects since I was about 6 (mostly mending, patching, etc.), simple costumes for about 5 years.

- It cost about 20 dollars and it's very small.

5) what do you not like?
-It HATES me. It is probably the moodiest sewing machine ever. Sometimes it'll sew perfectly, but other times it will eat your thread, grind the fabric, break two needles in a row, refuse to thread the bobbin, grind to a halt when sewing, and snap thread like mad. And although it can run on battery power, as of late it can only really sew anything if plugged into an outlet. Not to mention it only does a straight stitch.

-If you want something to practice on, or aren't doing anything relatively complicated, or on a deadline, it's decent, especially for a beginner. It also helps if you don't have one that has mood swings.
Devkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #86
Yuko
The Spastic Butterfly

1) What Machine do you own? Brother LS-2125i

2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? 3 years

3) How much sewing experience do you have? I've been sewing off and on since I was about 11, but most of it was by hand or my cousin's (similar) machine until I broke down and bought my own.

4) What do you like most about the machine? It works well for light-medium weight polyester/cotton blend fabrics--the other day, it went through about four plus layers of fleece and stuffing for a hat. The needles are pretty sturdy--in all the stuff I've done with it, as much as it's been moved and abused, it's only ever broken one needle. (These things can survive a 6 hour car trip, no box and needle still in!)

5) What do you not like? Until I figured out how to tightly wind a bobbin with it, it constantly wasted large amounts of thread. It also hates upholstery/coat thread, and sometimes if your tension is off, it tangles horribly. They're kind of a love/hate sort of thing.

If you've had experience with the brand, go for it. I'm still going to eventually upgrade to the Singer model that my friend has. And if you're going to try and sew pleather or leather, sorry. You'd have to have a different one. Brothers don't do pleather.

Last edited by Yuko : 02-25-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: updating
Yuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #87
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please! janome 2139N
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? brand new, got it in January
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are) I've been sewing less than a year, but I do a lot of advanced projects (historical costumes mostly)
4) what do you like most about the machine? For its price range it has a really good motor. It goes through drapery weight fabric with ease. Also has a needle threader and seems to have the ability to unjam itself
5) what do you not like? I haven't found anything I don't like, but since it's new and inexpensive it has a lot of plastic parts, which could be problematic in terms of long term wear
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? I would recommend it to anyone.
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #88
adriannrod
College Cosplayer

Help?

I have apparently a Nelco N-250-B-4, and I'm trying to figure out when it was made. It is very old, and very sturdy, and as far as I know, has stood the test of time. My mom picked it up at a yard sale, and I just looked it up online. The model I said it is is the one that matched the picture to my machine the best. It is a hand-me-down, and as I said, is very old... I wonder what sorts of things it can punch through.

I get the impression that maintenance is important, but I don't think this machine has ever been maintained in its lifetime... Hehe.
adriannrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #89
HouseOfCanney
Atlanta Costumer

1) What Machine do you own?
-Singer Quantum 9940

-About 3-4 years old.

3) How much sewing experience do you have?
-I've been sewing professionally for 10 years now.

- It does great rounded buttonholes. But it's nothing compared to my dead Vintage Kenmore

5) what do you not like?
-I loved it at first, but as time passes the pressure on the foot is getting weaker and being computerized it will cost a fortune to get repaired.

-Although it will so about anything, believe I have, it doesn't hold up to the task for long.
Unread 05-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #90
Kelley
Devil of Details

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please! Singer 15-91.
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? It's about 70 years old. I also know of someone who works on a treadle.
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are) I mostly make historical type costumes. Renaissance fair, Victorian, etc.
4) what do you like most about the machine? It's made of metal, not plastic. It might not poop out fancy embroidery, but it will keep doing what it does 70 years after I die.
5) what do you not like? Nothing, really.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? Yes. It's not really ideal if you primarily work with stretch fabrics. You can buy a zig-zig, hem-stitch, buttonholer (and it makes FANTASTIC button-holes) attachments, but it's not designed to be the machine's primary function.

If you need a zig-zag machine or one that does "fun" stitches, I would go for the 401/501. I know a lady that has one, and have seen it in use.

I simply can't imagine owning anything else. Except I would have interest in a treadle because of the electricity issue and I would be curious to see if it was any quieter. I don't think I would ever buy a plastic machine unless I was into doing high-production embroidered patches or something, but that's just me.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote