Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 05-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #91
gagaohlala
Humans are Liars.

1) What Machine do you own? A Brother ;D

2) When did you purchase it/how old is it? It was bran new back in October 2008

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are) Only recently acutely, I guess I always kinda knew how to do the basic stuff. I make my own patterns, but I don't think the clothing I make is good enough to commission, but I'm getting there.

4) What do you like most about the machine? No problems so far, there are over 51 stitches, and it's never gotten jammed.

5) What do you not like? I wish it could push through like three layers of leather ;D Lolz.

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
Yes! It's a great machine for any beginner to intermediate.

// site // deviant // livejournal //
gagaohlala is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #92
Carmelle

Help! I just bought a sewing machine, and i set it up and am learning for the first time. I live with my father, and brother both of which have never used a sewing machine before. So I need you guys! It's a Kenmore, the box says 15758 but i'm not sure because I can't find anything on it online. Anyway, the problem is when I press the foot pedal, all that happens is the bobbin winder spins, and I can't figure out how to switch it to start actually moving the needle when I press my foot down. -.-...

I feel really silly, but I'm scouring the manual trying to understand what to do. It says something about pressing the 'turn wheel' thing on the side in to "engage" the machine, which I do, but nothing happens? I've also tried pressing the bobbin winder onto the locked position and still, all I hear is the sound of it trying to spin somewhere inside, lol.

Sorry, I didn't know where else to ask ; ;!
Carmelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #93
Kelley
Devil of Details

If you've already played with the knob on the side of the wheel (which is usually on the right-hand side... dunno if there are any machines for lefties out there) - then I would suggest bringing it in to a repair shop and asking them - something inside it could be broken or not correctly aligned.

I'm just guessing you got this machine used since you know so little about it ?
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #94
Carmelle

Thank you for replying!

It is brand new, but it didn't even come with a bobbin case, (it was supposed to) manufacturer error I guess. I had to go back to the store to get one from them :\... It's my first time with a sewing machine, that's why I know so little.

When I turn the knob manually, the needle goes up and down, it works, but I can't get the foot pedal to move the needle, all it does is spin the bobbin winder....

Last edited by Carmelle : 06-05-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Unread 06-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #95
Kelley
Devil of Details

There should be a knob inside the wheel you're turning that switches between sewing and bobbin winding.

HOWEVER, some machines do not work like that, and are trickier to explain.

If you could post pictures, I or someone else might be able to figure it out - like a good clear picture front and back and each side.
Unread 06-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #96
The_Ninja

Have you tried calling the store? Sometimes they can help you. When I got my machine, it was, regrettably, defective, and when I called about it they first walked me through a bunch of steps to try to find the problem, and then told me to bring it in and exchange it...a person there will likely be more familiar with the machine than we will, so they might know better what to do. ^^;
Unread 06-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #97
Carmelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ninja View Post
Have you tried calling the store? Sometimes they can help you. When I got my machine, it was, regrettably, defective, and when I called about it they first walked me through a bunch of steps to try to find the problem, and then told me to bring it in and exchange it...a person there will likely be more familiar with the machine than we will, so they might know better what to do. ^^;
Thanks, I appreciate it both of you.

I think it may be defective because I"m pressing the knob inside the turn wheel like you described OurLadyC and, according to the manual it seems to be supposedly changing to sewing, but it's not.

I'll call the store like you suggest. I'm just panicky because as a newbie to sewing I keep wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's really the machines fault. Hah ^^;

Last night, I was so confused trying to learn how to get everything up until I discovered that the bobbin case was missing, so!
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #98
Kelley
Devil of Details

If there's a knob inside the turn wheel, you have to twist it to switch. It can be kind of awkward because you have to hold the bigger wheel steady when you do this, because it might "grab" before it's fully turned.

It looks like clockwise (if you stand facing the wheel head-on) is the way mine turns to engage sewing.

I'm not really sure how the newer machines work, as in if something else could be stopping the machine from sewing. I have a 76-year-old machine and love it. : D

It also might be defective as suggested.
Unread 06-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #99
Carmelle

Thank you for trying to help me! I took it back to the store today, after consulting with my dad who was slightly less clueless than I thought - he had minor sewing machine experience from 30 years ago~ andddd the handwheel was broken :\

There weren't any in stock of that kind to exchange though, so we upgraded. The new one is working like a dream <3!
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #100
CrazyKits
T'is teh craziest~!

This is very helpful! What a coincidence that I clicked on this forum while thinking about getting a sewing machine-and then I find this wonderful sticky! . I was looking at the Brother Ls-2125i that someone here mentioned a couple of pages ago. I am a beginner at sewing and this will be my first time purchasing a machine. You think I should go ahead and go for it? Or should I keep looking? I found a Hello Kitty Janome sewing machine at Target and now I want that one too and the reviews looked good on that one as well.

~I bought the Brother and I like it!!! ^^

Last edited by CrazyKits : 06-22-2009 at 10:15 AM.
CrazyKits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #101
rchcc122
Gotta respect the gear.

Sorry if this was already brought up, but I heard that you need two sewing machines to make a shirt and other clothing pieces.
How accurate is that?
Kaito Jeanne (Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne- 10%), Sailor Venus (Sailor Moon- 20%), Cowboy!America (Hetalia- 50%), Rainbow Brite (Rainbow Brite- 10%), Railgun (A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Index - 10%)

Facebook- Almost to 200 likes!

Arizona cosplayer?
rchcc122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #102
Kelley
Devil of Details

@CrazyKits, I'm very happy with my 76 year old Singer 15-91. :B It needed some love to be fixed up to running order - but now that it's in perfect order, I wouldn't take anything else.

It was the first sewing machine I've ever bought - previously used my mother's. I got it because I wanted a metal one, not one with plastic gears. :/

This machine should last pretty much forever - and it can sew just about anything, including leather.

I only wish I could (easily) hook a treadle up to it for special times of need.

@rchcc122, COMPLETELY inaccurate ? You don't NEED an overlock machine unless you're working with easy-to-ravel knits.

There are ways to make a blind hem on a regular machine and by hand. Even my ancient machine has blind hem / button hole / etc attachments that can be bought for it - most modern machines simply come with this built in.

I see absolutely no need to own two machines in order to make a shirt or any other basic garment.

Unless a person for some reason bought an overlock machine with absolutely no clue what they were buying and then realised they needed a "regular" machine to perform the usual basic functions.

A "regular" machine is really all you need for most basic and advanced garments.

"Industrial" machines are overkill - if you have an extra couple hundred-thousand dollars to spend on a blind-hemmer - sure, it might help, but it's by no means necessary or all THAT helpful for a hobbyist.
Unread 06-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #103
Tatsu-chan

Ok so I didn't see anything about it but what is peoples opinions of the singer stylist?
both the machine and the serger.
Tatsu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #104
Akemi Idane
Sew like a cosplayer.

My machine is a Brother Pacesetter, and I must say, I love the thing. It's always worked really well for both myself and my mom (Toa costume for my brother, anyone?). I've never had any problems with breakage, and the platform for the fabric is HUGE, so I really love that.

The only way it could be better was if I got a ruffler foot. xD
Akemi Idane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #105
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

By the grace of god, my mother is a seamstress and has 8+ sewing machines and sergers. There is only one sewing machine though that I use for practically everything.

1) Viking Husqvarna 1100.

2) It is about 20 years old.

3) I've actually only been sewing for about 2 years, but it is a pretty advanced sewing machine.

4) I love pretty much everything. There are so many options, it knows when to stop winding the bobbin, an alarm goes off if the presser foot is up, you can select different settings for different types of fabrics, need I go on?

5) The only problem I have with it is that when thread gets caught in it, the stitching will mess up. Of course, it is expected that a 20 year old sewing machine will need to be cleaned out every once in a while, so it really isn't the fault of the machine lol

6) I would definitely recommend the use of this sewing machine to anyone, whether they are beginners or advanced. As far as actually PURCHASING it though, you might want to look for a cheaper machine if the only sewing that you do is for cosplay. I have no idea how much these sell for now, but when my mom bought this brand new 20 years ago, it was about $2,200... So unless you have a career involving sewing, this might not be the best machine for you.
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote