Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 03-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #121
twilightang3l

I have the Janome DC2010.
I did some research before buying it.
Some of the reasons why I love it:
1. made from/by Japan
2. has metal parts so makes less noise ( I was definitely looking for this because I didn't want to disturb my bf in the other room while he was working. I also like to sew at night sometimes.)
3. The Bobbin does not jam 95% of the time (compared to my cheap Brother sewing machine which jammed like every 10 min). It even sews flux leather without getting stuck (but I still recommend getting the special foot if you sew a lot of flux leather just for a smoother glide).
4. Has a lot of features like auto thread cut and quick buttons which will make your life so much easier.
I've used this sewing machine to make plush and cosplay clothes.

I loved it so much that I just recently purchased a Janome 634D MyLock Overlock Serger Sewing Machine online from an "Authorized Dealer" so that I can get a more professional finish on my garments. It's arriving this Monday . It is the same price as my current sewing machine. I choose this one because it has a heavy duty cutting blade. In case I want to start making my own jeans in the near future (You can never have enough jeans).

Janome has a website with a listing of most of their Machines:
http://www.janome.com/index.cfm/Machines
The prices are not listed but you can check for that on ebay or amazon.
twilightang3l is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #122
KuraKaze

I have a Kenmore, Model E 16782 or whatever X__X I don't know where they print the model... thats the number on the box in bold anyway.

This is my 4th machine. I own 3 and have used 6 or more different ones.

My reason for buying this one is pretty silly... because the colour of the dials and tabs are PINK~ XD Yes, I specifically bought this machine because I liked the white and pink colour scheme.

Although, I did use another kenmore machine in the past and had no problems, so I thought this shouldn't be a problem either. And it DID have all the specifications I wanted: top loader, 20ish stitch or so. So it wasn't completely just cosmetics... I got lucky that I found a colour I wanted with the specs I wanted.

Most common stitches that it will be used for is just straight and zigzag anyway, so I'm not too worried about all the fancy embroidery expensive machines. Especially since they have the semi-automized function where the needle always go back to up position. I prefer the needle stopping immediately when I stop my foot, but I find the fancy computerized ones to have a very slight lag that makes a difference in my sewing. I have to anticipate and stop sewing a second before I actually stop sewing... it was very disconcerting.

My older machine is a brother (I think, can't remember right now) that was on sale for 100$ or so, and only has straight and zigzag stitch. Had no major problems with it, but it wasn't as smooth as my current one. Does tend to tangle or pull with certain types of fabrics.

Another thing I do: Buy machines from places that allow you to return them within a set time (a month usually). Test the machine out, make something with it. Decide if you like it or not. Return it if you don't like it. (I have bought and returned 2 machines this way, because it just didn't feel right.)

You should shop around and find the machine just for you! I <3 my machine, her name is Kurin XD Different people have different preferences for what kind of machine they like. Kurin is usually nice to me (does gets her PMS once in a while), and is not too loud.

Another thing is that I find top loading machines much easier to load than bobbin than front or side loading machines... and I just stick to top loading machines now. However, I've had people tell me that front/side loading machines tends to tangle less... but since I don't have major problems with my top loader (and I have been sewing since 8 or 9 years ago, using 90% top loading machines) I shall stick to it~ Tried and true for me~ I waste a lot more time trying to thread the bobbin correctly on front/side loading machines that it's just not worth it... I know I used to be good at it (my first machine which I used for a year was side loader) but somehow I completely forgot how to thread it after I switched to top loader...

AN2011:
Rachel Alucard (BlazBlue)
Sister Paula (Trinity Blood)
TBA

Commissions:
Ragna (BlazBlue)
Hazama (BlazBlue)

Last edited by KuraKaze : 03-30-2010 at 09:01 AM.
KuraKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #123
BM2 Love Angel
The Planner

That is indeed very interesting information.

I opened a thread about starting to sew and Kiichigo recommended me to come here.

I am going to start looking for a machine based on the information I found here.
F.A.C.T.S. 2009

Cosplay
Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière
BM2 Love Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #124
SyriMoon

I have a Brother 2512 or something along those lines. it's 3 years old, and get ild to moderate excercise.

I love how simple the parts and manuevers are. I HATE the bobbin. If I accidently knock the bobbin casing out, I then have fouyr moving, sliding parts to try an fit back together, and only two hands to do it with. The peddle is also jerky. I'm use to it now, so I know how to force it to do mah bidding, but when someone else gives it a whirl, it's like a 14 year old who's trying to drive stick.

I want a Janome. I was lucky enough in high school to snag the only brand new Janome in the class, and I looooved it.
SyriMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #125
page of wands

Hmmm, interesting to hear you compare the Brother and Janome, as those are the brands I am currently trying to decide between!! I'm leaning towards Janome since it sounds more reliable than the Brother machines...and everyone keeps mentioning about Brother's bobbin problems, etc (same with newer model Singer reviews). Anyone have one of the following machines that you've had experience with??I tried searching and didn't see anything about these specifically in here.

Singer 2250
Janome 1117s
Janome 419s
Brother XL-2120
Brother BM-2600

Also, just curious if anyone has ever used a voltage converter with any of their sewing machines? I am currently living overseas in Hong Kong, but plan to move around a lot after this year to places with different voltage. Argggg, I'm so desperate to start sewing but so many things to consider with such a pricy purchase!!
page of wands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #126
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

1) Pfaff 2170
2) I purchased this in 2008 december, but it was purchased used from a dealer

3) I've overlocked sleeve cuffs when I was in first grade, and all my sewing experience comes from that simple over lock work I did for my mom. But truly sewing, about 10 years, cosplay only. and made one coat that I gave to a friend, and I like complicated things like Trinity Blood designs.

4) what do you like most about the machine? just look here:
http://www.pfaff.com/global/4960.html and I love EVERYTHING about this machine. My most favorite aspect, is the embroidery feature, where I get to hook my laptop up to the machine and transfer embroidery files to the machine, and the computer touch screen on the sewing machine and the stylus, as well as me being able to walk away from an embroidery project, without worry and only come back to change thread colors, or change the bobbin, which has an automatic low bobbin thread detection, and you can go back on the stitch numbers so the embroidery wont have gaps.

5) This machine is expensive, and high maintenance. Not for beginners, I purchased this used for $3000, new it originally has a 7000 price tag, and its not even the best machine this company has anymore, which is the Creative vision, with a 10,000 price tag. I have yet to unlock its full potential because I lack the digitizing software ($2499 original retail price) that will really make this machine do what its suppose to do, digitize your designs and embrioder them. (SOMEDAY!!!!! I can turn JPEGS into designs)

6) I would recommend this to a more experienced and serious sewer. I dont really NEED all the bells and whistles, but it is nice to have it. I'm going to up my sewing projects now that I have this. Gotta justify buying this machine.
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #127
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
Singer Confidence 7467
2) When did you purchase it/how old is it?
My mom bought it for me brand new at a pre-Christmas sale in 2009.
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
I've been sewing seriously since 2001 (making costumes), and I sewed before that but nothing worthwhile. My first machine was my grandma's 50 lbs. vintage Singer which I hated with a passion because A. it was lacking a free arm, and B. it had some serious tension issues that we had to fix every month or so by taking it apart and adjusting everything.
From 2004-2009, I used a Kenmore Mini Ultra 639S, which was actually a great machine for $80. It was basic, yes, and slow, yes, but it was my little gem.
Some projects done on the Kenmore: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/634505/ http://www.cosplay.com/costume/57761/ http://www.cosplay.com/costume/229733/ http://www.cosplay.com/costume/276549/
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/286904/ (including the top hat)
These are projects done on my new Singer:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/289311/
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/296900/
That final project was what really necessitated having a new machine because my Kenmore's little motor locked on the vinyl and ESPECIALLY the nylon webbing on the first project I did with the new Singer.
4) What do you like most about the machine?
I have a huge variety of stitches (60 or 70), and it does automatic buttonholes. Oh, and it does an overlock stitch that's slow and takes a lot of thread but A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER THAN AN OVERLOCK MACHINE. The Singer Confidence has sewn through ANYTHING I put through it, including cardboard, vinyl, nylon webbing, and sheets of plastic. With a walking foot (you can buy them in the quilting section), I can quilt all of those awesome fabrics too! Oh, and the zipper foot that came with it is better than any I've used.
5) What do you not like?
Wee-eell... I still go back to the Kenmore for a few things. The Singer Confidence doesn't do so well with tiny pieces of fabric. They tend to get caught in the feed dogs, so I take little intricate pieces to the kenmore (I did that on several pieces of that sneaking suit). Also, it has trouble sewing too close to the edge with simple stitches. With the overlock and zig-zag stitches it does just fine.
One big problem is a weird glitch that defaults my stitch length settings if I turn it off and turn it back on despite the fact that the selector is still set. That's obnoxious, but I've gotten used to it.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
I recommend it all the time! It's an inexpensive machine and often goes on sale. Plus it's a must-have for military costumers who use a lot of stupid, thick materials (like nylon and neoprene). Buy a walking foot for it if you want to do a lot of quilting.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #128
stardust462
SNES obsessed

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please! I own a Singer 30-Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine, 7422

2) when did you purchase it/how old is it? July 2008, so it is two years old now. I had to buy my own machine when I moved out of my parents' house and no longer had access to my mom's equipment. I paid about $200 for it (and unfortunately got what I paid for).

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are) I've known how to sew since I was little, but didn't really get into it until a few years ago. I'd say I'm intermediate-advanced with my projects.

4) what do you like most about the machine? Lots of cool decorative stitches, easy to thread.

5) what do you not like? Where should I start? The stitch length and widths are hard to control. When I first started using it and needed to do a basting stitch, the stitch would still be small, even though I had the stitch length all the way up. Then about six months later it finally started doing long stitch lengths. The bobbin jams a lot and it likes to eat lightweight and stretchy fabrics. It doesn't handle thickness very well. Maybe I'm just used to better working machines, because my mom has professional equipment at her house (she makes home decor for a living) and I grew up using that. There is seriously a huge difference between working on my Singer and her Janome. I hope to get a new machine early next year, but I will keep my Singer for the decorative stitching.

6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer? No, not really. Maybe for a beginner, but I find it very frustrating to work with.
AnimeCons.com ~ AnimeCons TV
stardust462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #129
SorcererSupreme
Man of Mystery

1) What Machine do you own?

I have a Brother LS-2020. Just so you know, I don't think this model is being produced anymore...

2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?

I must have bought it 4 or 5 years ago.

3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)

I have been sewing for ten years now. Sadly, it has been an on-and-off hobby of mine, since space and time affected my costuming. I make my costumes out of various material, so while my sewing skills are solid for 'normal' fabrics, I have no real experience working with odd fabrics; like fake fur or spandex.

4) what do you like most about the machine?

It is a pretty easy machine to work with. There aren't too many settings, and loading the thread is fairly easy as well. The machine is also fairly easy to disassemble and clean; as I found out due to a thread tangling mishap.

5) what do you not like?

The machine I have does NOT work with stretchy materials of any kind. for whatever reason, it won't feed through the machine like it is supposed to.

A beginner or someone making loads of clothing that uses 'normal' woven fabrics?~ Yes.

Someone sewing projects that require knit, pleather, or any other highly pliable fabric?~ certainly not.
SorcererSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #130
HeartHetalia
Handmade Cosplay

My Machine~!

1) What Machine do you own?
I have a Brother XL-3200
It's pretty old I guess. I think my parents got it as a gift a long time ago and I just stole it when I took up sewing cause it wasn't doing anything but sitting in the laudry room collecting dust. Plus, why buy a new sewing machine when this one's free?
3) How much sewing experience do you have?
I don't really know. Been sewing for about two years now. Not many would guess it with how "skilled" some of my stuff comes off as. I just really know how to shine crap.
I can do basics and make some rather basic outfits (That look like hard work). But I'll always challenge myself. Done some pretty "advanced" stuff and that was pretty easy. Maybe an Advanced Intermediate?
It gets the job done. Not too fancy and GREAT for starters. I came in with zero experience with a machine and had my first constructed piece about a month later (it didn't fit, but that's seam allowance problems, not the machine.) It has some good stitches that work for cheapo serging for those who don't want a serger (or can't afford it like me!) and it's easy to work with. Plus, it holds up well with layers. I still give it props for going through all those layers to sew my Russia coat.
5) what do you not like?
This could just be the age of it or something I'm not getting, but I HATE that I have to pull the fabric through. It's not a hard pull but enough to leave my thumbs hurting from the side of my nail digging in after taking in a shirt. I see some sewing machines out there where you don't even have to touch the fabric, just press the pedal and it zooms right through. I'd like that.
Meh, it's good to get the job done and great for beginners but I personally want a better one anyway. If you're just starting, it's perfect. If not, don't waste your money. Get a better one. Plus, it's so old, and with all the new technology out there, you can find SOO many better sewing machines. Do they even sell this model anymore? lol

Finished:
Russia (Hetalia: Axis Powers)
Alucard (Hellsing)

Future:
Something Final Fantasy
Mugen (Samurai Champloo)
Kuronue (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Last edited by HeartHetalia : 07-27-2010 at 11:37 PM.
HeartHetalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #131
stolen_valkyrie
Bureau of Bad Behavior

Hey all:

I just inherited my mom's ancient Kenmore from the 70's... it's having issues, and I'm wondering if it's worth trying to get fixed or if I should just replace it? She bought it way back when, used it for about 3 years, and then stored it... so it hasn't been touched in 30+ years, and I don't think she ever had it serviced.

Another one we're looking into is the Brother CE5000 Project Runway edition - I saw some good reviews in here, but are there any other thoughts? I'm looking for something inexpensive that will still do thick fabrics.

If it is better to get the Kenmore fixed up, how much should I expect to pay? What should I look for in a shop?

Thanks!
stolen_valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #132
Eiyoko

I used to use my mom's old machine when I went off to college; she used to make costumes for the local theatre and didn't need it anymore, but she got me one for my birthday just this past July 8D I'll review both of them, I suppose.

1) Singer 5808C
2) I have no clue how old this thing is. My mother's had it for at least ten or more years.
3) I've been sewing since roughly summer of 2009. I got some tips from my mother and learned how to make a shirt and put on bias tape for Pence; then I made Eald'narche pretty much all by myself, details and all. I still consider myself a beginner but I might be in the intermediate category by now XD
4) PROS: Plenty of stitching options, very easy to thread, generally cooperative. If you need to switch threads it's very easy to do, a HUGE relief for the bobbin since all you have to do is slide a door open to get to where you place it.
5) CONS: It took a while for me to get the hang of it, but that's probably because I was new at sewing. There's no light on it either, which is a killer if you're working in a poorly-lit room like mine. It's also somewhat heavy.
6) RECOMMENDED? Absolutely. It's old, but it's also a great machine and gets the job done wonderfully while also being easy to use :3

1) Brother LX-3125
2) My mother bought it for me on my birthday, July 2010
3) See above. :3
4) PROS: It's lightweight, has a light on it so I can see (my bedroom isn't very well lit so that's a HUGE plus for me), and it's easy to get the hang of.
5) CONS: The bobbin took me a while to figure out how to install properly, and it can be moody sometimes. Every so often the thread will get caught in the inside of the machine so I have to unscrew it and get it out.
6) RECOMMENDED? Yes; it's not too shabby at all.

Last edited by Eiyoko : 08-19-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: now with links for your convenience 8D
Eiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #133
maskedrose

1) What Machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
Kenmore 52 and Singer 403a, and a Brother... I don't know got it four years ago new it's junk
About four or five years ago? Salvation Army for 5 and 15 dollars. They're from the 50s 60s.
Um.. 8ish years.. some of my projects are 5 mins, some are 20 hours.. really depends on my mood.
The singer is gear to gear - no belts. It is super quiet and slant shank so I have a good view of the needle. It does lock up if not used much though - bringing it to the shop. Whoever had it before me neglected it. My kenmore 52 although I like the Singer much more - the Kenmore has been very reliable and I hardly take care of it. I think I oil it once a year.
5) what do you not like?
How heavy the damn machines are.
YES YES YES. Do not buy a new machine unless it is industrial. Stick with anything before the mid 60s and you are good Look around craigslist, thriftstores.. garage sales etc. Sometimes you can get a good machine that doesn't even need any repairs!
maskedrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #134
burning112d

Okay, I need to buy a sewing Machine

Hello Cosplayers!

I've decided to break down and finally buy a sewing machine. I'm usually a prop maker and a modifier but I need to buy a sewing machine. I recently hand sewn a lelouche costume and it took me too bloody long and it wasn't the quality it should've been.

What do you wonderful people recommend for a cheap, starter sewing machine?

I mostly work with light clothing, nothing heavy like denim, I think a future costume may involve spandex though. Oh and I often use satin (which is horrible to work with by hand).

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!
burning112d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #135
EasilyAmewsed

Janome Gem Gold might be a good starter machine, or up the line to the Threadbangers models. Best way if you have the time and a machine dealer in your area is to just visit them and see if you can test drive some of their mid to lower range machines. They often have second hand machines that are trade ins too..the good thing is they'll have been serviced.
EasilyAmewsed is offline   Reply With Quote