Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 05-08-2003, 10:07 AM   #1
Flexei
Trioxin Huffer

Talking My first crossplay hate mail

I just thought I would share the first piece of hate mail I've gotten for crossplaying. A wonderful "Cosplay Lab Member message for you".

From some guy calling himself Jaku "explorerapattee@yahoo.com"

"Her comes the GAY ... Her comes the GAY ... Keep up that GAY GAY WAY!

FAGGET!"

I know I shouldn't of bothered responding, but I felt compelled to. My response was:

"I believe you meant to say, "Here comes the gay" not "Her comes the gay". Thank you for your input. I appreciate all opinions on my costumes. I'm assuming your comments pertain to one of my costumes in which I was dressed as a woman. If so, I'm glad that you felt I looked feminine, or gay because that was the purpose. When my wife suggested the costumes I thought I would look way to awkward and manly to pull the costumes off. I'm glad you think they were a success. Thank you for looking at my costumes and I hope you enjoy my future work."

I'm sure that these types of emails are a fairly common... so my question is, do most of you usually even bother responding? Obviously, his/her mind will not be changed by anything I might say, but at the same time, I can't help but feel that they might stop sending out these pointless messages if they know that they really aren't upsetting me in the slightest.

If they're going to be insulting, they could at least be constructive and insulting at the same time. Say something like, "You butt looks big in that dress, you stupid homo.", "Pink really isn't your color, gay boy." , or "You really should of stuffed your bra a little better, you fag".
Flexei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2003, 10:23 AM   #2
ryuichi fangirl
Taryn + bacon = OTP

LOL...that last bit was great...actually..I've never had anyone other than my own father make comments about crossplay...and he only does it because my best friend and I like to cosplay as yaoi couples....and he finds it rather strange.....(and I don't think he gets that all the 'flirting' isn't real but...whatever..lol) ...but I think you handled it rather well...I usually just give my dad a look an dask if he's coming to my wedding ...but then that's my family so it's kinda different..^^;;
ryuichi fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Goodness. They didn't even spell "faggot" correctly, to add onto the "her comes" part. I wouldn't even bother replying, unless I was really bored.

I've never gotten hate mail. But I don't think it's as bad for girls-dressing-as-guys. *shrugs* o.o

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
BlueLady
slightly distracted

Isn't it amazing the lenghts even the dumbest people will go to to make themselves feel better. I ould ignore it, chances are someone that stupid willnot learn anything from your response. Chances are if you used any big words, he couldn't read it anyhow.
Unread 05-08-2003, 12:37 PM   #5
Menchi
Tee hee <3

i;m with michi on the funny thing. lol but if they cant even spell these insults right...i would jus luagh at the comment. so far ppl havent made comments like that to me...but am sure it will come sooner or later. all things being would think unless that person can do better there comments are jus wasted words ^^
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
daria_jack
Your favorite pin-up girl

I've never gotten any hate mail, but if I got some I would definetly respond. I find stuff like that extremly funny, when people call me a lesbian and stuff like that (but it gets really irritating if it comes from the same people all the time). I would wanna shove their shit right back in their nasty faces. XD Make them think and wonder what you really mean. LOL

Let's be proud
and shove some shit
in nasty faces
together, united

How bad could it be, sexuality?
daria_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
Vashu

well, actually i've never crossplayed (yet), but almost all of my costumes are bishounen-like costumes, or costumes of ppl with a lot of skin taking some air, so i hear a lot of things like "eew, Testament is so gay! are you really going to cosplay him?" and i just ignore it at all, unless the one who said it can make something better than i do (what isn't very hard, anyway =■)
Vashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 02:51 PM   #8
Flexei
Trioxin Huffer

I got an email from Cosplay Lab about the message I got, and apparently I wasn't the only person who got a nasty message.

Quote:
Hello Fellow Cosplay Lab member,

I wanted to apologize for an email you may have received from a *former* Lab member named Jaku. Apparently she didn't feel obligated to read the rules about sending condescending messages to our members, so I've promptly deleted her account. Likewise, I've taken measures to help prevent future instances of this by only allowing members who have posted costumes to be able to send messages. She went out of her way to message 15 members, so clearly this individual has issues and I wouldn't recommend communicating with her.

If you ever receive unhappy messages like this in the future, please forward them to me so that I can take care of it. Don't let bakas like this get you down. Again, my apologies.
Garry
Glad to see he's on top of things.
Flexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
sefie_tilmitt

Oops, looks like someone posted this here too. Well, glad to know Garry's on top of it.

Previous post:

I think I got an e-mail from that girl this morning. She wrote "ok thats just .... WRONG!" And I just recieved an e-mail from Garry at cosplaylab regarding her. This is what it said:

"Hello Fellow Cosplay Lab member,

I wanted to apologize for an email you may have received from a *former* Lab member named Jaku. Apparently she didn't feel obligated to read the rules about sending condescending messages to our members, so I've promptly deleted her account. Likewise, I've taken measures to help prevent future instances of this by only allowing members who have posted costumes to be able to send messages. She went out of her way to message 15 members, so clearly this individual has issues and I wouldn't recommend communicating with her.

If you ever receive unhappy messages like this in the future, please forward them to me so that I can take care of it. Don't let bakas like this get you down. Again, my apologies."

So it looks like she just picked people at random and tried to hurt their feelings. Too bad it was so immature - I think you have a lot of guts for crossplaying; I've done it too. So, rock on.

Last edited by sefie_tilmitt : 05-08-2003 at 02:55 PM.
Unread 05-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #10
Kinoko

I got hate mail from Jaku too!
She commented on my Mika outfit (non crossplay) on Cosplay Lab.
The comment wasn't as bad as Flexeis was, but it still tore apart my entire costume.
Even thought I didn't get an apology e-mail from Garry , I am glad he has got it all handled out.
Kinoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 03:26 PM   #11
Nine
The busty one!

Someone posted my very first crossplay hatemail as a guest on my forums.. I just got his IP address, tracked his ISP, and emailed the informationt to his ISP's abuse email and they delt with it.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 03:48 PM   #12
KatieAnn

what an ass hole. haha the little twat couldn't even spell. people like that really burn me up, even when they're directing their hate at other people. i've been picked on since i was in kindergarden for various things including having hair down to my knees. (wow for some reason im overcome with major deja vous.....?) its ok if "different" things or people scare you but teling them stuff like that...they need to be dragged out and shot in the street.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 03:49 PM   #13
KuroBara
dog of the military

Flexei, your response was absolutely perfect. It seems the consensus is to ignore things like that, but if you can throw it back like that, go for it! I especially like the parts where you mentioned your wife, and thanked them for the compliments. I'm glad Garry took care of it. I just joined cosplaylab, and was very impressed when he welcomed me personally.

Nine- Someone insulting you on your own forums? That's just laughable. Not only are they wasting their energy hating a complete stranger, but they're doing it on your webspace. *sighs*
KuroBara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 04:24 PM   #14
L to the 3rd
aka Scrawny Squall

what assholes!...but Jaku got what
was coming to her then.
L to the 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 04:47 PM   #15
Ihrie

Awwwwww...I'm sorry that had to happen to you. Errr...heh, I kinda know what that's like, day-to-day though.

Anytime it happens, I feel like....wow, humanity has such a long way to go.

I hope it didn't offend you or worry you about future crossplaying. ^_^
Ihrie is offline   Reply With Quote