Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 05-10-2003, 08:50 AM   #1
peihui

Making Katana

Anyone here knows how to make a katana ??
Pls do give me some pointers~~!!!!
peihui is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2003, 09:02 AM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Well, first you get some steel, and..

I kid. You might find it simplest just to buy an inexpensive iaito - there are always plenty on ebay. If you're determined to make one, there are plenty of threads already on the subject:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...ighlight=sword

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...ighlight=sword

among the most recent. You can search the Props & Accessories forum for many more threads on this topic.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 12:01 AM   #3
Vashu

i think buying one is a lot better than making one... but if you really want to make one, you can use wood for the blade and then paint it with that kind of paint for cars or then chrome it... the big problem is the rest of it, but it isn't that hard
Vashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 08:35 AM   #4
peihui

but how to make it shiny ?
peihui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 09:19 AM   #5
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Have you looked at the various kinds of paint available?
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 07:54 PM   #6
Vashu

Quote:
Originally posted by peihui
but how to make it shiny ?
chroming it, painting it with silver automotive paint or wrapping it in aluminium paper or anything like that
Vashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
Menchi
Tee hee <3

cons tend not to like live steel i have noticed...most ppl jus get a bokken an are careful with em. if ya wanted it to be metal lookin g ya can put a primer on then spray paint it ^^
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #8
yasafusa
FLAT AS A CAT

If you wanna make a cool katana that looks real but is quite light...

Take a sheet of plexiglass and a jig saw. Cut out the shape of the blade and handle...

Now make two or four copies of just the handle...
__________ __________
{_________} {_________}

Glue to sandwich the pieces to the sword, then shape with a wood file and sand paper to make a nice round handle.

Now make the "tsuba" or hand guard.

Cut a hole in the middle of the hand guard in the shape of the largest part of the blade.
Now slide the tsuba down the blade to the handle and use screws or some "liquid nails" or similar epoxy glue to adhere it to the front of the handle!

Once done you can paint it or whatever!.... You also may leave the blade clear and put a couple LED's and a battery in the handle... To make the blade GLOW! If anyone wants are more descriptive drawing of the sword or glowing mechanism please IM me...
yasafusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 05:42 PM   #9
Menchi
Tee hee <3

oooh ooooh that sounds snazzy lol woudl do such a thing for the heck of it if had the money XD
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 10:40 PM   #10
Catatonic_Van

If have like an SUV or some really heavy tankish car you might want to buy some pvc pipe(1" to 2" in diameter). I found it works better if it's warm/hot. First cut it down the pvc to the length of your sword. If it's a katana you need to bend it first, you can just do that with your hands. You'll need a friend who you trust or trusts you. Have one person on a driveway or whatever non-congested streeted area slowly drive the car on to the pvc pipe with the second person holding it in place. When you get to the place where the handle would be just call to stop the car. If it's a katana you may have to do it twice since it's not perfectly straight. You should at this point have a very flat piece of pvc piping.
If you don't have a jigsaw or bandsaw to cut the pointed tip, heat the pvc very very carefully over a gas flame until it yellows. Then with a strong pair of steel scissors snip off what you don't want. Then, even if you cut it with a saw, you'll want to heat the edges of the cut tip until it yellows and press the edges down with a stone rolling pin. When heating the pvc be careful that it doesn't start to catch fire or bubble. When it does that it creates a rough charred surface that you'd have to fill in.
For the handle use an air hardening clay like paper clay or plastiroc and add on all your detail for the handle. For a katana you might want to try using some balsa wood in conjunction with the clay. It's very important that you coat the parts you added on with resin afterwards. Then just sand the whole thing very lightly and paint it with whatever paints you want. Spray it with a finish and you got a shiny new sword.
Catatonic_Van is offline   Reply With Quote