Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 08-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
redruMCareBear

Has anyone here had to wear Ballet Shoes?

Click here to see what I'm talking about.

Those are ballet shoes. No, not the kind you normally think of. These are made to looks like hoofs. They would work PERFECTLY for the character I want to cosplay as, but they look like they hurt a LOTTTT!

Has anyone here ever worn them/heard about people who wore them ?
Do you know if you didn't want around too much, if it wouldn't really hurt?

Last edited by redruMCareBear : 08-09-2007 at 02:12 PM.
redruMCareBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

I'm guessing they can't be that bad, since they're made for DANCING.

I can't offer any personal experience on them though.
Unread 08-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
redruMCareBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CezzaXV View Post
I'm guessing they can't be that bad, since they're made for DANCING.

I can't offer any personal experience on them though.

Umm....You must not have clicked the link. ><
Because I wasn't talking about those kind of shoes.
Unread 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Moon_Fish

let's not be rude
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Argento
ff9 fantard

ohhhhh, fetish ballets. I've worn them before. they can be uncomfortable (and hard on your calf muscles). If you go with those, be SURE to practice wearing them plenty before the con, because balancing in those things can be "fun". Also, sit down whenever possible. XD

fyi, those are the kind of shoe Rihanna wears in her "Umbrella" video. *dork*

Anime Central:Albert de Morcef (pirate version); Sakura Shinguji; Madam Red; White Mage
Argento is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
redruMCareBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
ohhhhh, fetish ballets. I've worn them before. they can be uncomfortable (and hard on your calf muscles). If you go with those, be SURE to practice wearing them plenty before the con, because balancing in those things can be "fun". Also, sit down whenever possible. XD

fyi, those are the kind of shoe Rihanna wears in her "Umbrella" video. *dork*
Really? How long did you wear them for? How long do you think you could wear them standing? XD And they're not that bad? They look bad. o___o
Unread 08-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Argento
ff9 fantard

I borrowed my friend's at a con about a year ago... I wore them for about 3 hours i think. I'm not saying that they don't hurt, because they do, especially if you're not used to wearing high heels. I sat down often and had my friend to help me around. XD They certainly do give a distinctive look to a costume, but IMO, they're wayyy expensive. Even moreso than regular platform boots.

Anime Central:Albert de Morcef (pirate version); Sakura Shinguji; Madam Red; White Mage
Argento is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

They look painful, and are more likely than not really not very good for walking in. This is a case where I'd just go for a more comfortable shoe, other than those. They will not only kill your foot, but they have the capacity to seriously damage your ankles.

Even pointe shoes would not hurt as bad as these. The fetish ballet slippers are made more for just photoshoots, and POSSIBLY pointe. If you're not used to moving around en pointe, the shoes will be painful.

Plus, they're really expensive for something just for a costume. But if you INSIST on wanting the shoe to look like a hoof; it looks like the same company makes something called "pony shoes" which would be much more comfortable.

(Though quite honestly, I think the clientelle for this website is models/dancers/drag queens. Was amusing to browse through the "Queen Boots" XP)

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 08-09-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

If you do get them, bring them and a pair of comfortable shoes (Like house shoes or flip flops) so that you can put those on when you're doing pictures

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
Anna
Still Alive

If you plan on getting them I'd suggest on putting lambs wool, or some kind of gel pad in there so you don't crack a toenail. Anything requiring your feet to do THAT isn't what they're used to. Ballet students have to go through years of training their feet so that they can withstand it.

Even if they have heels it wouldn't help much because it's still a big balancing act. Balls of your feet being off the ground and all.

Last edited by Anna : 08-09-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
downerbeautiful
lovely little sparrow

comfort wise, you'd probably be better off in pointe shoes. at least you can go flat in those (not like I'm saying that pointe shoes are a walk in the park; i've had several pairs for ballet)

Yes, it's good to be accurate but it is also good to keep your own limitations in mind. You would be best in a nice pair of platforms or pumps with a 6-8 inch heel, plus you'd spend hundreds less (can get a good pair for easily less than $70). Dancers spend only seconds on pointe at any given time; they aren't on their toes for hours on end like you would be in those shoes. Because they have no ankle support like ribbons or like boots, you really risk breaking/spraining a joint. On top of that, and speaking from experience, being up on your toes can really damage them. Dancing en pointe was the straw that broke the camel's back with permanent damage/misshaping of my feet and toes. You wouldn't want to even mess with that, especially if you aren't going to have proper foot training to wear those.

Please, be safe, and buy shoes that keep the ball of your foot on the 'floor' instead of placing all your weight on the top of your toes.
If you do insist on wearing those insane shoes, PLEASE PLEASE invest in some proper lambs wool and gel pads (there are ones I can defiantly recommend you don't waste your money on).

Good luck, and be smart.
downerbeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Mm, fetish ballet shoes (not real ballet shoes, which are obviously made to be as comfortable as possible if you're dancing in them) are not really made for extended wear. downerbeautiful is absolutely right; the art of pointe takes years to learn and even experienced dancers do not sustain that position for more than a few seconds at a go.

See how the name of that site is "Punitive Shoes?" Well, punitive indicates "punishment" (that's where my sig link comes in handy)-- they are designed to be painful and destabilizing. From what I've seen, most people can't walk in them without some sort of support to lean on. Possibly for a photoshoot, definitely not for a con.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

XP I'm so glad that I had folks with more dance experience back me up. I took dance once, but never stuck with it long enough to get to pointe.

Besides that; pointe takes a long time to learn, and screws with your feet like you wouldn't believe (has friends who dance en point). These shoes would absolutely WRECK your ankles and your toes.

Platforms would be better for you.

And I should have mentioned this earlier; the first thing that popped out of my mouth when I saw those shoes was "Oh my god, she'll break an ankle".

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 08-09-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Punishment huh? I would imagine anyone wearing those shoes for an extended amount of time would be a massochist.

I can't even bend my feet that way (I'm working on it!)

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Fetish shoes are really NOT meant to be walked in for any length of time. If you're planning to wear them for a photoshoot, probably no problem; but if you're planning to wear them for a convention, you might REALLY want to think about finding an alternative.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote