Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 08-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

Hairspray-Inspired Skits

This is something that's been swimming in my head ever since Hairspray hit the silver screen this year. Has anyone been inspired to do a skit with a song and dance routine from this musical?
I was playing with the idea of doing the song "The New Girl in Town" with the same dance moves, but cosplaying the three pop singers from Perfect Blue. I was also thinking about doing the song "Run and Tell That" cosplaying token black anime characters with a few friends of mine. I think it'd be pretty cool.

Anyone else?

Unread 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Purple Flames
Rollin' like Jack Dempsey

Just like with 300, Kill Bill, and Mulon Rouge (sp?), everyone and their grandmothers are gonna be doing skits based around this movie, so I suggest if you're gonna do something inspired by Hairspray, you do the best damn job you can to set yourself apart from the pack. Otherwise the judges will pick up on it and think you're more than likely just trying to capitalize on the pop culture flavor of the month.
Purple Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Really, I don't think Hairspray is going to get a lot of skits based off of it, because the show is so tied with 'dance' and the freedom of expression and the message to be yourself; you really can't mock the latter two of those things...

Besides, if it hasn't inspired skits yet after being in theatres, it certainly won't now. I say go for it, but go for a show where dancing/performing's the focus. (like, Kaleidostar or Princess Tutu)

And I really am a proponent of musical skits (is part of a group doing a Little Shop parody), so I say go for it! Just do what you'd do with any other skit you'd be a part of, and do your best!
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

XD Oh yes. I'm from Baltimore, and when you're into theatre, it doesn't take you long to find shows that are set in your home town. (Of course, I can't recall all of the numbers from the show, so my post might be a bit...underinformed). You should have heard the tantrum in the local papers when the studio said they weren't filming here. ^.^

You don't know how tempted I've been for the past few Otakons to just do a gag skit where someone starts out singing 'Good Morning Baltimore!' and then another character comes and beats them up.
(Of course, I can think of several songs from West Side Story that'd work better for such a skit)

Avenue Q..yes, lets not have Hairspray devolve into that. Musical skits are hard (I've been working on my group's Katsucon 08 skit for three or four months now--it's a parody of Little Shop--and I'm still not satisfied with the script, and I'm trying to work REALLY hard on the blocking), and don't let anyone tell you different. Musical theatre/regular theatre takes a WHOLE MESS of folks to work properly; skits are no different. You don't put in less effort just because it's supposed to be fun.

But you shouldn't stress out about it either--there's a big difference between overthinking it and putting effort into a skit.

If you put the effort into making it stand out, it'll be well received. That's how all skits should be put together; with the utmost effort. And REHEARSE REHEARSE REHEARSE! I can not emphasize this enough; if you have a lot of dancing around in your skit, make it look thought out and precise, otherwise it'll look a terrible mess.

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 08-14-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Unread 08-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
galaxiahime
killer plushie queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextbestauthor View Post
My suggestion when doing this skit so it doesn't become another "Avenue Q" disaster, please set the bar standard high.

A muscial number is hard to do, even if it's only for fun. It involves coordination, choreographing, and acting all rolled into one presentable performance.
You and your friends have to be serious about rehearsing.
I agree. To pull off most any musical skit nowadays and make it rememberable, it has to be spectacular. If you're going to lipsynch, make sure you have great choreography. And, you can never practice enough.

I love Hairspray to death...the original John Waters movie and the musical alike. I think you could potentially make this something special if you work hard at it.
galaxiahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
Alixinwonderlan

Have you ever noticed, no one says positive stuff in this thread. Personally I think it would be kind of neat, but .... i'm a musical freak...so whatever.

Cosplay Events and Costumes

~Anime North 2009~

Friday - Blair - Soul Eater
Saturday - Rikku (FFX2), Hikaru (Ouran Host Club, Last Episode)
Sunday - Undecided.
Alixinwonderlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixinwonderlan View Post
Have you ever noticed, no one says positive stuff in this thread. Personally I think it would be kind of neat, but .... i'm a musical freak...so whatever.
There wasn't anything I saw here overtly negative.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
dizzylizzy
I sew things

"Otherwise the judges will pick up on it and think you're more than likely just trying to capitalize on the pop culture flavor of the month."

I cannot speak for all, but for myself, as a judge I don't care what "popular" things are out there and incorporated into skits. I look for a good solid presentation, continuity, the amount of practice put into it, audience reaction as well as my own, and so on. (It's late and words are escaping me. "so on" will just have to do! ^^)

I'd love to see a Hairspray skit. : ) Have fun, use creativity, own that skit! ^^

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy...49665061805445

Last edited by dizzylizzy : 09-13-2007 at 02:22 AM.
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #9
Honey Usagi-chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixinwonderlan View Post
People come here for critique, not lolli-pops. And if you're not 100% honest with someone, they can't improve on their flaws. But being a theatre junkie, you have to remind people of what they did well before you go on about the negatives, for example:
Bob can project his voice really well with outstanding gestures, yet he lacks articulation and his character voices aren't distinct.
So what do we do?
We confront Bob with the pros of his acting, then the cons, then we go "Here's what you can do" and this is what Bob can do. Recite tongue twisters while projecting your voice, preserving and savoring each and every word. Then, gradually speed it up when you get the hang of it. Once you master articulation, work that into your character voices so that people can understand just wtf you're saying with a unique voice.

Thar we go~

I personally thought Hairspray was just a big pile of the materialistic 50s with a side order of guilt. I didn't pay attention to the middle of the movie, in fact I think I fell asleep O_o; Anyway, I'm not sure just how you could do Hairspray with anime, since the songs were mainly about racism, teasing, idealism & other weird issues from back then that still exist today. Good luck with that? 'Cause I can't really help you there ^_^;;
Honey Usagi-chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

So basically ever since I saw HairSpray, I've wanted everyone at Otakon to run around in costume in Baltimore singing "Good Morning Baltimore" like, REALLY bad. Imagine the reactions from the Baltimorinians. xD
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Aqua--You and me both; ever since I found out about the musical (Oh, about five or six years ago) and heard the song, I've been tempted to run around the city singing that.

Of course, I'm not terribly sure how SAFE that'd be, XD
Unread 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

It would be SUICIDE xD
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
AyameChan
The Cute One

What about Light and L singing a rewrite of "you're timeless to me" lol it'd be "you're guilty to me" *LMAO*
AyameChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
AyameChan
The Cute One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua's Rhapsody View Post
So basically ever since I saw HairSpray, I've wanted everyone at Otakon to run around in costume in Baltimore singing "Good Morning Baltimore" like, REALLY bad. Imagine the reactions from the Baltimorinians. xD
also, I almost wore my Tracy wig to break out with that when I got off the airplane lol. Almost...
AyameChan is offline   Reply With Quote