Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
GreyCat
Always in the background

Exclamation Loosing weight specific question

Hey guys, i know there is a thread on general wieght loss and cosplay but I have a really specific question.

I am 5foot 9 and I currently weight about 185pounds.

I would like to know if trying to get down to 160pounds or less by November is a bad idea or if it would not hurt me.

I am cosplaying Sniper Wolf and want to get in shape really bad not only for cosplay but because I have been wanting to for a while. I do not think it is worth it for cosplay if I hurt myself while doing this though, so I ask the brilliant people from Cosplay.com.

Seriously, you guy have helped me a lot in the small amount of time I have been here and it really is awesome.

Getting my fursona created for me, and unsure of any cosplays I will be creating.

I make furry mascot costumes. Please email me at Gettinfluzzy.com and check out Gettinfluzzy.webs.com for more pictures and info!
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Ruckus
blank

It's definitly feasible to loose 20-25 pounds before November. There's a really good thread going about weight loss that you might want to check out. Also, self.com is a really helpful *free* site for weight loss. Loosing 1-2 pounds a week is healthy- doing more than that will shock your body and cause your weight to rebound (usually making you gain even more back). I do a lot of non-professional personal training for friends, so I'd love to help you out too. Send me a message if you want more ideas for good workouts, healthy meals ect.

Good luck!
Ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
anomalie
Fighting Evil

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I used to be a big snacker and one thing that helped me drop a good amount of weight was chewing gum. If you've got gum in your mouth you're less likely to make an unnecessary snack. Also making an effort to do some exercise - walking more, or I like to do crunches during commercials when I watch tv. I guess a general bit of advice is to drink more water and try to limit things like soda or really processed foods (very surgary or salty snacks). It's good to have a goal (and yours is reasonable), but don't see yourself as a failure if you don't reach it - that's not a healthy attitude.

Good luck.
anomalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp

It wouldn't hurt you, losing weight never hurts unless you go underweight. I just wish I could lose weight like that... I don't have the willpower. ^^;;

I challenge the gum idea.. Sugarfree gum id okay, but gum makes you hungrier. Your stomach thinks you're eating, and it starts to digest when there's no food.. But if it worked. -shrug-

I don't see myself as a faliure, and I gained 20 pounds before I reached my goal. ^^;; Keep optomism. It definitely makes losing weight seem faster and easier.
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #5
GreyCat
Always in the background

Yeah, I snack like crazy, and love soda.

I was 195lbs then I lost a lot and went to 167lbs.

then I left myself go and got back up to 186lbs.

I dunno what I did but I sat around all day and just didn't eat as much and drank a lot of water.

So 25 lbs seems like it would be fine then? Ok. If anyone wants to cheer me on, please do!

Getting my fursona created for me, and unsure of any cosplays I will be creating.

I make furry mascot costumes. Please email me at Gettinfluzzy.com and check out Gettinfluzzy.webs.com for more pictures and info!
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
DemyxisMuffins

I will root for you, sister! As I am going to be dropping the pounds right along side you. In a different state. =3
DemyxisMuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
anomalie
Fighting Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagamma View Post
It wouldn't hurt you, losing weight never hurts unless you go underweight. I just wish I could lose weight like that... I don't have the willpower. ^^;;

I challenge the gum idea.. Sugarfree gum id okay, but gum makes you hungrier. Your stomach thinks you're eating, and it starts to digest when there's no food.. But if it worked. -shrug-

I don't see myself as a faliure, and I gained 20 pounds before I reached my goal. ^^;; Keep optomism. It definitely makes losing weight seem faster and easier.
The gum helped me lose 30 lbs in just a couple months, soo... heh. I can see it not working for some just because of body chemistry and whatnot (I've never actually heard of it making you more hungry, though). But I used to snack even when I wasn't necessarily hungry. I was just bored, needed stimulation I guess, and taste is a type of stimulation. And obviously one still have to eat regularly, it's just about not over-eating (and not eating just crap like I did), and getting at least bit of exercise.

Also, another thing to note: Thirst is sometimes mistaken for hunger. Drinking more water may help subside feelings of supposed hunger.
anomalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
Spartan63087

Go for it.

Just don't overdo it. Don't force yourself to lose it, just lose it gradually.
Read more learn more, change the globe

-Nas

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBjYX7CzWUc

Streetlight Manifesto-We Will fall Together

Streetlight Manifesto and Suburban Legends, awesome Ska combo.
Spartan63087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 03:47 AM   #9
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCat View Post
Yeah, I snack like crazy, and love soda.

I was 195lbs then I lost a lot and went to 167lbs.

then I left myself go and got back up to 186lbs.

I dunno what I did but I sat around all day and just didn't eat as much and drank a lot of water.

So 25 lbs seems like it would be fine then? Ok. If anyone wants to cheer me on, please do!
Those are dangerous weight swings. What does your doctor say?
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 05:42 AM   #10
AnimePub

I'll support you, just stay as active as possible, I try to do a few crunches and some push ups every morning. I use to go to the gym a lot, but now I just work out at home. Watch what you eat is the main thing. Read up on what's good for you and what's not, and try not to eat fast food. That was a biggie for me awhile back. Learn to cook too, become a master at grilled chicken(don't fry it).

Some good sites are muscleandfitness.com they have some meals and some workouts, but most of it you may not need. bodybuilding.com about the same, you should find a few articles that should help or at least get you motivated.

-Joshua

Con Nooga 2008 Got a booth
JAMPcon 2008 eh maybe?
Dragon*Con 2008 I may show up
AnimePub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
Tobias Night
Tobias Nightbringer

I'll always be rootin' for you, GreyCat, through and through!

tfcreate does bring up a point which I also wondered about. How quickly was that shift in weight? If it was during a long period of time, then that isn't really anything to worry about, but if you dropped it rather quickly, then that may be something you should check up on.

Anyway, as many have stated before in the main Losing Weight thread, dieting is key. Dieting, dieting, dieting! I'll send you a PM with more specifics soon, so hopefully it'll help!

Again, you can do it GreyCat! RAWR!

~Lyric to a song sung by Nat King Cole called "Nature Boy" (Thank you LadyHawke78 for getting the name of the song!)
Tobias Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
SeamustheBlack
Pirate for hire

I'm also shooting for dropping about 20 pounds though I'm going for about a year. I'm walking more and drinking water. Switched from the cookie and candy bar snacks to crackers and granola. Of course I'm finding paying rent is more important then eating so I've tended to eat only one meal a day and then grabbed the aforementioned snacks.
Any suggestions on eating habits or best times to be working out?
SeamustheBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

It's definitely a possible thing to do, but you have to go into it with a few things in mind. Fitness, for those not naturally at their ideal, is a lifestyle. As you experienced before, if you start slacking off you'll likely end up in worse shape. When you drop weight quickly you tend to drop muscle mass, which supports metabolism, and is also rather slow to return. So when you regain weight you'll have a higher body fat percentage.
This is why it's recommended to lose weight more slowly.
Eating habits, to keep simple, just cut out junk food and sugars where possible. Juice and soda are both basically liquid calories in my opinion. You want to eat at least a few times a day, but in smaller portions. If you are trying to cut calories you cut them across the day, not in one meal. Also try to leave at least two or three hours between the last thing you eat and when you go to sleep.
For exercise, its always up to the individual, but pick something, at least to start, that you can see yourself sticking with for the long run. Don't start with too much too quickly, or you're likely to give up. As the workout becomes easier though, make it a little harder. If walking walk farther, jogging, jog faster/farther. Doing exercises, do more or add weight.
As for the time of the day to workout, it will depend on your personal schedule, but cardio is supposed to be best in the morning, and weights/exercise in the evening. A warning though, if you do cardio in the morning, or weights for that matter expect your metabolism to be up all day, which is likely to make you hungrier throughout the day. Self control is key.

To sum it up. Do something you can stick with, and try to cut the snacking. Good luck.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
nadesico81
Cosplay Anime Otaku

Help from A USAF Airmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCat View Post
Hey guys, i know there is a thread on general wieght loss and cosplay but I have a really specific question.

I am 5foot 9 and I currently weight about 185pounds.

I would like to know if trying to get down to 160pounds or less by November is a bad idea or if it would not hurt me.

I am cosplaying Sniper Wolf and want to get in shape really bad not only for cosplay but because I have been wanting to for a while. I do not think it is worth it for cosplay if I hurt myself while doing this though, so I ask the brilliant people from Cosplay.com.

Seriously, you guy have helped me a lot in the small amount of time I have been here and it really is awesome.

Well I see we are in the same boat.

I am an Airman in the USAF who just happens to be an Otaku/Cosplayer. I am a bit over weight. I am 5.2 and weigh about 188 pounds. I know that does not sound bad but I do have a Buda belly. And any one with a 40 inch waist or more is subject to a Military Review board. Thus you can see why I am posting here.

I am cosplaying Jean Havoc from FMA for the October expo and Winter Comiket in Japan. I need to drop about 15 pounds to get to my goal weight of 175 pounds. I started out in June at 201.5 pounds and now I am at 190 pounds.

I started off small working out for half an hour a day. I was using a treadmill but after about 4 weeks of using it I found that I was not getting the normal high from using a treadmill. So I switched to running out side which has worked wonders. I have found that doing on 15 min. of running is a way better work out then using a machine.

Now you say you have to get down to 160 pounds by November. It is very possible to do that with hard work and dedication. It does your body no good if you work out and don’t eat right. You will have to find out for your self what kind of good foods you will like to eat. I know an awful lot of us have bad eating habits. But in order to drop the proper weight you WILL have to keep your daily intake of calories less than 2000. But don’t cut out one kind of food just because some one tells you too. You need a balance of each of the 4 food groups to promote proper weight loss.

A Scotty said from Star Trek Generations "If something’s important you make the time." You will only get the results if you put in the time and effort. I recommend dedicating an hour of you day to working out. That hour should include a warm up and cool down. If you go any more then an hour you risk hurting your self. Start small and over the course of a few weeks work up to a decent work out. Once you get going you will find you body more willing to take on more advanced work outs.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I would like to help any way I can.

James Mandeville
Senior Airman USAF
RAF Lakenheath UK

Total Military/Action Cosplayer

"When I become Führer all female officers will be required to where tiny mini skirts!" Roy Mustang FMA

Last edited by nadesico81 : 08-17-2007 at 01:47 PM.
nadesico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #15
cold kittn
Your own personal stalker

I'm rooting for ya GreyCat...actually I'm right there with ya...I wanted to lose another 20 lbs by the beginning of October but that's just unhealthy for me. I've lost 30 lbs since the beginning of the year and I kinda started to get lazy again...but I'm back on it and ready to lose the last 20.

There's a whole thread about losing weight and cosplay on the this same forum...check it out whenever...and if you have any questions just post it there and everyone will be more than happy to help.
cold kittn is offline   Reply With Quote