Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Dynasty Warriors

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.88 average.
Unread 08-13-2004, 09:54 AM   #511
Rydain

Huzzah! My Easy Sand body filler hath arrived! I'm going away this weekend, but I'll trim and spackle my sword blade next week and FINALLY have a progress pic for those who are curious! I also finished the full-size pattern for my positive claw mold, so when that's all ready to go, I'll get a pic of it as well.

If your costume involves a print with light shapes against a colored background and you can't find anything like it in the store, you might want to look into sun dyeing. I was worried because I'd have to replicate a sash with a blue to white gradient AND a whitish pattern, but after I read about the technique, I was much happier. You just get the right type of dye (transparent Setacolor works), dip or paint some wet fabric, put objects on it (I bought a cheap fall garland at Michael's to cannibalize for leaves, and I got one of those bags of polished pebbles to make dotted lines with), and let it sit in the sun. It seems much easier to manage than something like batik.

And now for the random questions...

Does anyone happen to have a clear picture of any of Zhang He's sash embroidery? (Before anyone asks, the in-game model doesn't show the details.) I have the standard front and back art book pictures and a painting, but the most they show is about half of the side design, and when I blew the pictures up to look at them, some details were so blurry that I had to fudge my own version of them. You can see the effect that the front and back design is supposed to have from afar, but the design itself is intricate and pretty much gets uselessly blurry when you try to zoom in on it. I don't mind making my own similar design, but it would be nice to have a clearer reference if one were available.

Also, does anyone know how to dye fabric so it has a subtle "crinkly" color pattern (i.e. a base color with slightly darker veins of the same color all over like the creases in a rumpled and then unfolded piece of paper)? Can I just rumple it up into a ball, tie it up, and then put it in the dye bath? I don't want any lighter spots, though - I would just like the dye to concentrate in creases to make those veins.
Rydain is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #512
Chibi Plush Toy
KTBSPA24-7

Anyone recommend anything for the material on Diao Chan (DW3) outfit?? I dunno what would go for it...
♥◌°
Chibi Plush Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM   #513
Rydain

Judging from the pictures on yueying.net, the fabric of her outfit appears to have some weight and texture to it, so I would suggest silk or satin with body and not too much shine. You might want to use a subtly embellished brocade for the top, but a crepe silk or satin would look pretty as well. As someone mentioned, Dharma Trading sells white silk suitable for dyeing. The stretch crepe de chine looks like an especially good choice for Diao Chan's closely fitted, leotard-ish top. You can order samples to see what you like. I didn't actually get any crepe samples in because none of the items I'll be making for my costumes seem to have that sort of texture, but I can tell you that I was pleased with the quality of the fabrics. The silk twill seems about perfect for my purposes.

On a more general note: yueying.net recently updated with quite a lot of data book and art book scans. Unfortunately for me, there still isn't anything showing Zhang He's sashes (or Xiahou Dun's shirt designs, for that matter) in great detail, but at least there's a DW4 Zhang He model that gives me a better idea of the shape of his sash motif.
Unread 08-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #514
AngelicSorrow
Returning to the past

I'm going to try and dress like Zhou Yu seeing that even my cousins are refering me to him...*sweatdrop* It's just because I like to wear red headbands and have long black/brown hair they think that I'm him....
So does anyone have any tips on how to make him or what to use to make his clothing? I'm going to plan to do one of his costumes...unsure which. X.X May be his DW4 costume, but his DW3 costume is also good....I'm totally unsure anyone want to pick for me?
AngelicSorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2004, 05:52 PM   #515
Rydain

Break down his outfit into components and then figure out what kind of pattern you would want to use to make them, and then decide whether it would be easier to buy said pattern or derive one from existing clothing. For instance, both of the costumes have baggy pants that resemble loose-fitting pajama bottoms, so you could pick up a basic pajama pattern or trace one if you already have a similar pair of pants. The breastplate thingy is basically an oversized dickie *giggle*, which you could pattern by tracing a shirt. The robe could be modified from a traced bathrobe or a wizard's robe costume pattern. I'm not sure whether the leg "flaps" in the DW4 model are part of the robe or separate pieces attached to a belt (like Xiahou Dun's leg armor), but they'd be pretty easy to pattern yourself.

As far as fabric choices are concerned, both versions of his robe appear to be made out of a rather substantial patterned fabric, so you'll probably want to find a Chinese brocade with a similar color and pattern. If you do the DW4 costume, I'd suggest trimming it with gold galloon (the sort commonly used for clergy vestments), which is bright but not garish and available in a variety of patterns. If you don't want to embroider the embellishments (and trust me, I wouldn't blame you one bit ), I'd recommend using the high-quality fabric paint sold by Dharma Trading.

Given a choice between the two models, I'd go with the DW4 version just so I wouldn't have to replicate that detailed tiger on his sash. It still requires some painting (or embroidery, if you're up to that task), but it's simpler work, and you could even make stencils for the designs on his sleeves.

And on a general note: I know that some of you guys are curious as to how my stuff is coming along. If you like, please visit my LiveJournal for detailed blather on what exactly I've been up to. I don't have any progress pictures or new information to share, so I didn't want to spam this thread.
Unread 08-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #516
AngelicSorrow
Returning to the past

@.@...I didn't understand that, but I hope that one of my friends can help me make the patterns for his clothing...I want to do the tiger, but I'm not sure how to embroider and it might be expensive to do silk screening...X.X
Zhou Yu DW4 is so far what I'm planning for, but there are some people that still cosplay/crossplay as Zhou Yu from DW3.
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:16 PM   #517
Kirschwasser
God Save The Queen!

Wow, I'm gone from this site for 3 weeks & it's slightly amusing how this thread is rarely updated. I guess DW cosplay isn't as popular as it used to be? Gosh Rydain, you really are putting a lot of time & detail into the two costumes!! I know they are going to be awesome. I can't wait until the day you finish them & put up pictures! ^^

I don't know if I'm ever going to do anymore DW cosplay again. I mean, of course I am still going to go as Xiao again for AX2005, but what I meant was...I won't be making any new DW. I'm too much into Samurai Warriors right now & the majority of you know that I am making 3 SW costumes. If I were to do another DW costume, I would like to make Da Qiao's last outfit (2nd variation). But DW is so hard...that is why I am sticking to easy SW. *laughs*
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #518
AngelicSorrow
Returning to the past

Awww! C'mon! I need people to come with me and cosplay as DW4 characters! I don't wanna be alone at Otakon next year!!! I was alone this year....*mumbling curse words underneath her breath* C'mon! Please?! Don't quit! *latches on to Kirshwasser's leg*
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #519
Kirschwasser
God Save The Queen!

*Laughs merrily at above comment* Oh dear...I am sorry, but the only con I attend (and can afford at this current time) is Anime Expo. ^^ Hey, why don't you come to AX instead? We are going to have a DW group again next year. (It was mostly Wu Kingdom this year). I wish I could go to Otakon, but it's sooo far away & I can imagine it would cost a lot.
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:34 PM   #520
AngelicSorrow
Returning to the past

It's like $55 for all three days and $110 for a night in a hotel, but a friend(female) and myself are going to be sharing a room, so I guess that it would be okay if you could share the room with us.
I can't make it to AX...my parent hate me going to places alone seeing that I'm a girl and all...they think that people are going to rape me or something and they don't believe me when I say that I'd smack them with my fans and run for my life if they tried to do anything.
~Mi Xun Rinoa
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #521
Kirschwasser
God Save The Queen!

*laughs again* Oh, nobody is going to do anything at AX. The only real "threat" I saw was somebody with a camera filming me (and my friend) when they weren't supposed to, so we hid behind my panda fans so he couldn't see. XD And there was this time where I turned around and some guy just took a picture of me & waved. (The jerk could have just asked! I would have said yes.) As I said above, I wish I could attend Otakon, but I will have to see how it goes next year. ^^
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #522
AngelicSorrow
Returning to the past

T.T Man!!!! Okay, anyways..I am making a Zhou Yu costume! I'm going to be a chibi Zhou Yu!!!! And Xiao Qiao will be my main focus. >^.^< Mwahahaha!! But I must make the ones already on my list first. T.T Xiao Qiao, will have to wait...But till then, you can read my fanfiction on fanfiction.net in the games section, dynasty warriors and the title is Wu's Fate. Ja ne! Thank you for all the help!!! It really helps me to know what to do for these costumes. Hehehe....Zhou Yu's is going to be freaking hard?! X.X ~ZhouMiXun Rinoa
Unread 09-06-2004, 07:19 PM   #523
Rydain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirschwasser
Wow, I'm gone from this site for 3 weeks & it's slightly amusing how this thread is rarely updated. I guess DW cosplay isn't as popular as it used to be? Gosh Rydain, you really are putting a lot of time & detail into the two costumes!! I know they are going to be awesome. I can't wait until the day you finish them & put up pictures! ^^
Thanks! ^_^ Sorry I haven't gotten any pictures yet...I still have lots of research to do and supplies to wait on, and I can't seem to get a quote from anybody for the blind rivets I need for the armor. And, of course, Lowe's doesn't carry any that have a large cap AND a short post. x_x Oh, and I had a crappy past couple of weeks and didn't get much of anything actually worked on. D'oh. At the moment, I'm working in scattershot fashion because that's just how I like to deal with things. As I mentioned earlier, please drop in on my journal if you're curious about the latest news (and feel free to add me to your friends list - I love making new friends ). I really ought to focus on finishing that dratted styrofoam mold because there isn't much warm weather left, but it's very tedious work that I've been putting off, and I can always do fiberglassing in the garage if it comes down to it.

For the record, I found out that you can make a crinkly dye pattern using a process called low-immersion dyeing. Look here for an example of how to get different degrees of variegation (complete with photos of the results). I think the most subtle version of the crackle would work well for my purposes.
Unread 09-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #524
Kirschwasser
God Save The Queen!

I wonder what happened to all our DW friends who used to post in here? Where are you ChichiriFreak, TasogareNoTenshi, Wag, & Zhalfirin? *Sends out my ninja search time to go look for them* Oh yeah, and about Da Qiao's 3rd outfit...I decided I'd rather make the 1st/original variation of it instead of the 2nd variation. I started a little bit on it the other day, because I was acting bored & had nothing else to do, so why not use my leftover brocades, silks, and satins to make it? *laughs at myself* So far I only made the hair accessories (so easy...only took about 5 minutes for each of them!!) I also started on the main part of the outfit (minus the top part that has those tassels, if you know what I am talking about.) I'm just making a simple version of it...I'm not going to go all out like I did for Xiao Qiao. Besides, I probably won't wear it to a con...I'm making it for the fun of it & the practice. ^^

Last edited by Kirschwasser : 09-10-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Kirschwasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #525
Rydain

If you're cosplaying a DW4 character, I highly recommend that you buy (or at least rent) DW4: Empires. Why? It has an awesome model view feature where you can put characters in different animation loops (such as stance, parry, and jump attack), pause the animation, rotate them, and zoom in far enough to see detail that isn't clear anywhere else. Thanks to this mode, I can now make accurate drawings of Zhang He's embroidery (though my first attempt at the side sash wasn't far off at all...huzzah), and I've learned that despite appearances otherwise, his default bodysuit is black. I don't understand why it looks dark brown sometimes, but oh well. That makes me happy I was putting off ordering the unitard I'm going to use for it. I still can't figure out what the heck Xiahou Dun's shoulder designs are supposed to be, though. I guess I'll just have to fudge them. At least some of his shirt motifs (clouds, feathers) are clear.

I'm not sure if you need DW4 data on your memory card to unlock this feature from the beginning, but I would recommend it just in case.