Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Dynasty Warriors

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.91 average.
Unread 10-09-2004, 08:47 PM   #556
Melanie
That's right, worship me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
Melanie: -wonders if Jace and I can ever get you and Lu Xun to America, or if we have to wait until the Pacific Ocean dries up and can be traveled by car instead of plane?
Heh, if you sedated me &/or tied me up, you could probably get me on an international plane. You know that I'd be over there as soon as possible if I could drive, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
I look forward to seeing a photoshoot with the other Dynasty costumes you have made.
My friend and I will be taking the "official" pics of Lu Xun and Zhang Fei sometime this month. I'd love to try and get some fight pics, if he's up for it! Hehehee! Burn, Shu, burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirschwasser
Glad you joined the site, Melaine! I've seen your costumes at cosplaylab.com (my costumes are on that site too!) and your Ranmaru and Lu Xun outfits are sooooo amazing! Seriously, those are the most detailed, accurate, & best Lu Xun and Ranmaru cosplay I have ever seen...even better that a lot of the best cosplayers from Japan!
Aww, thank you very much! I really, really appreciate your kind words. *hug* I've stared at those two characters for so long over the past year, I never want to see either of them ever again.

Quote:
Your Ranmaru inspires me to get working on my Oichi & Okuni as soon as possible! XD
Your Xiao Qiao was amazing, so I'll be looking forward to seeing your Oichi and Okuni, too! Which versions of their costumes are you doing? (I'm planning to do Ranmaru's second outifit next year, since I've already got the sword)

Quote:
Oh yes, by the way, where did you get the reference for your Ranmaru outfit? I've been looking for SW reference for fan art, but I can never find it. Is there are particular type of artbook that has reference of the SW characters outfits (in good detail)?
I've got the "Sengoku Musou Official Data Book" and the artbook that came with the Treasure Box. I'll upload some pics into the Samurai Warriors thread for you. I hope they'll be useful! I'm sorry I wasn't able to get you the pics from the Treasure Box artbook because it is hardcover, and the spine made a god-awful "crack!" when I attempted to scan it just then.

Quote:
I've gotten gold paint that looks very shiny. Just look at the gold design on the ribbon on my Xiao Qiao costume. (The border of the shorts). I also used it on my Xiao Qiao shoes & hair accessories. I used this acrylic paint (it's brand name is "Golden") and it works wonderfully. It's just very expensive...
Thank you so much for letting me know about that! I'll have to see if it's available out here so that I don't go through THAT again if I decide to make Zhou Yu (or someone else very gold).

Quote:
I hope to get Da Qiao finished by the end of next week, so I can get the picture of it in my gallery!
Can't wait to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Plush Toy
Thanks for the suggestion as well Melanie. I was thinking maybe balsa wood..but I'll experiment with both you and Kirschwasser's suggestions, and welcome to the site! : )
My pleasure! Please let me know how your hairclips turn out.

Last edited by Melanie : 10-09-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2004, 10:17 PM   #557
shadowsong

chibi plush toy - i made my hairclips out of thin craft plywood (*not* the balsa wood stuff) that i cut with an xacto knife. painted it with normal red craft paint, glued on blue shell buttons that i'd snapped the shank off of, and painted the gold with gutta resist. i used gorilla glue to attach french combs to the back. they stay in really well as long as i don't actually hit them on anything. unfortunately, the way i do my hair means that you can't actually see the blue bit unless you're standing up close staring at it - in pictures it's hidden by the curve of my head.

Last edited by shadowsong : 10-10-2004 at 10:20 PM.
shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 12:24 PM   #558
lestathunt
RIKKUIZE!

quote- Aww, thank you very much! I really, really appreciate your kind words. *hug* I've stared at those two characters for so long over the past year, I never want to see either of them ever again.

I Soooooooo understand that....but its even worse when you see a good artwork pic of the costume after you've finished and there's more details that you've could've done, but didn't because you couldn't see them in the video game and now you can't fix it...*sniff* That was a run on...lol.

Well, I was wondering for anyone who has the dynasty warriors artbook or has played DW4:Empires if they could tell me if the artwork and visuals are good for detail for costumes. Also, which one has better details. I'm going to be doing Da Qiao's costume from dw3 and i wanted to get a better look at her costume....before its too late...dun dun dun...lol thanks!
(I have dw4:empires, but i haven't unlocked anything yet...just got it)
lestathunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 12:49 PM   #559
Ochika
Dynasty Laywers

dynasty empries is GREAT for allowing you to see the full costume. you can chose between all the costumes you get in 4. and you can spin them around and stuff. its really good ^_^v. and as for costumes i did Diao chan for the past two cons iv gone to ( i live in canada so only canadian cons XP) and for a convention comming up we have a big group of about 7 or so people. heh i won my first masqurade award with my diao chan ^_^V go most beautiful.
Ochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2004, 06:18 AM   #560
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestathunt
Well, I was wondering for anyone who has the dynasty warriors artbook or has played DW4:Empires if they could tell me if the artwork and visuals are good for detail for costumes. Also, which one has better details. I'm going to be doing Da Qiao's costume from dw3 and i wanted to get a better look at her costume....before its too late...dun dun dun...lol thanks!
(I have dw4:empires, but i haven't unlocked anything yet...just got it)
I agree with Ochika, Empires is has GREAT visuals! You can rotate the character model however you want (even look up Da Qiao's skirt if you want your costume to be REALLY accurate! *laughs* I have three brothers - of course I know how to use the viewer for evil!) and zoom in on them too! It's also great for getting all the weapon details.

*grr* I really wish it had been released here this time last year! But it gives me re-newed hope that I may actually be able to make my dream costume now! I'm going to attempt Ma Chao!

Empires also has a lot of the artwork from the artbooks in its gallery, but unfortunately, the pictures aren't very big &/or clear.

"Shin Sangoku Musou Character Data Book" is my favourite of the artbooks (there's one for DW3 and another for DW4) - it shows the characters' front, back and side views. But again, these pics are quite small, and they only give you limited angles from which to look at the character. When I was working on my Lu Xun costume, I studied the book with a magnifying glass for months!

So, stop reading and go play Empires - now!!

Last edited by Melanie : 10-13-2004 at 07:15 AM.
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:39 PM   #561
Kirschwasser
God Save The Queen!

Quote:
yea yea of course i'm going...wait...wtf?? THERE'S A 5TH VERSION OF DA?!? WHERE?!??!!?!??
Chibi Plush Toy - Well, the 5th Da Qiao model is what I meant. Bascially, it is the one that she wears in Dynasty Warriors 3. But I based the colouring off the DW4 version (white fabric) instead of the DW3 version (where it looks more pink). By the way, I finished Da Qiao. It came out pretty nice. I'll have to put a picture of me (in my gallery) wearing Da Qiao within the next few days. The shoes are so ghetto (at least to me). I couldn't find red heeled shoes, so I had to totally remodify these pair of shoes & it was a pain in the arse!!! ^_^;; It was so windy when I had my pics taken...hopefully I come out looking halfway decent.

Wait...didn't you once put down that your friends are going as DW too? If so, who are they going as?

Quote:
Hehehee! Burn, Shu, burn!
*laughs* That's funny, Melanie! I agree with you...die Shu! ^_~ Long live Wu Kingdom!

Quote:
Your Xiao Qiao was amazing, so I'll be looking forward to seeing your Oichi and Okuni, too! Which versions of their costumes are you doing? (I'm planning to do Ranmaru's second outifit next year, since I've already got the sword)
Thank you! I'm glad you like my Xiao Qiao. I'm going to upgrade the fans for AX05, because I left out a lot of detail on them! I saw the SW scans in the SW thread. Thank you again! (*laughs* I thanked you a billion times in the thread!!) I'm going to make the default/1st outfits of Oichi & Okuni. I wanted to make Okuni's 2nd outfit, but I realized I didn't have the time. Oh yeah...my boyfriend is going to cosplay Saika Magoichi for AX2005. *Dances around like a fool* I'm sooooo happy. XD I finally got him to cosplay with me...after "begging" him to go with me to go to AX03 & AX04. We'll make a cute couple...I can't wait. *laughs*

Quote:
I'm sorry I wasn't able to get you the pics from the Treasure Box artbook because it is hardcover, and the spine made a god-awful "crack!" when I attempted to scan it just then
It's okay! I have pictures from the Treasure Box Artbook because my boyfriend has the book! And thank you for telling me what the name of the Data Book is in the SW thread. I appreciate it very much! ^^

*Gasps* You're going to make Ma Chao!?! Whoa...that's awesome! I know you can do it! Ma Chao is awesome...he's one of the strongest characters in the game. As for DW Empires...what is up with the game? I haven't played it, but to me, it seems like it is kind of the same as DW4. *Confused* What makes it so different?
Unread 10-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #562
Rydain

What technique(s) do you all prefer for finishing seams on medium-to-heavy fabric that frays like crazy and doesn't take a crease? I'm making Xiahou Dun's pants out of this nifty soft satiny fabric that I got on sale at JoAnn's, and I wanted to flat fell the seams, but that didn't work, so I wound up pinking them (so they wouldn't keep fraying while I worked with them) and enclosing them in 1/2" double-fold bias tape. The tape is rather lumpy, but it's on securely and nobody is ever going to see it and the seam looks fine from the outside, so I really don't care. Since the pants are baggy, I was able to get away with enclosing both sides of the seam allowance in the same piece of tape and then pressing the entire thing to the side. w00t for that. I'll have more raw seams to deal with when I make the surcoat (because of the way I have to line it, there's really no way around it, but at least I found a way to minimize the amount of seams I'll need to finish), so I'm just curious what works for everyone.

Quote:
As for DW Empires...what is up with the game? I haven't played it, but to me, it seems like it is kind of the same as DW4. *Confused* What makes it so different?
Well...to make a long story short, your goal is to conquer China within 100 turns. You start off with some other generals and troops and a handful of territories on the map, and you have to invade (and defend) as necessary in order to win. Territories produce money, items, and weapon upgrades, and your generals will present you with proposals each turn that will help you replenish your forces. Most of them cost money, though. The battles are similar to those in DW4 albeit with a new emphasis on protecting supply bases and capturing the enemies' bases. There's probably more to it that I forgot, but that's the gist of the game.
Rydain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 09:40 PM   #563
Chibi Plush Toy
KTBSPA24-7

Hmm I found this interesting fabric at my local fabric store and it can be an alternative to the regular, expensive brocade (though it wouldn't hurt to buy either fabric): crepe de chine...yea you probably think i'm crazy now huh?? lol but the stuff i found was 8 bucks a yard!!
♥◌°
Chibi Plush Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #564
Chibi Plush Toy
KTBSPA24-7

Quote:
Chibi Plush Toy - Well, the 5th Da Qiao model is what I meant. Bascially, it is the one that she wears in Dynasty Warriors 3. But I based the colouring off the DW4 version (white fabric) instead of the DW3 version (where it looks more pink). By the way, I finished Da Qiao. It came out pretty nice. I'll have to put a picture of me (in my gallery) wearing Da Qiao within the next few days. The shoes are so ghetto (at least to me). I couldn't find red heeled shoes, so I had to totally remodify these pair of shoes & it was a pain in the arse!!! ^_^;; It was so windy when I had my pics taken...hopefully I come out looking halfway decent.

Wait...didn't you once put down that your friends are going as DW too? If so, who are they going as?
Yeah uh actually the one who told me it is from this site though I haven't contacted him in a while...it's Shun on here I think so I'm still going to ask him about that. Eh..uh i don't get wutchu meant about the 5th -- DW3 model of Da Qiao but I'll check out your gallery ^_^;; omg i'm so confused right now i better go to sleep
♥◌°
Unread 10-20-2004, 07:44 AM   #565
Melanie

Quote:
I'm going to make the default/1st outfits of Oichi & Okuni. I wanted to make Okuni's 2nd outfit, but I realized I didn't have the time.
Oh! Her 2nd outfit is sooo cute! I hope you'll get the chance to make it sometime in the future... I'd really love to see someone do that version of her!

Quote:
Oh yeah...my boyfriend is going to cosplay Saika Magoichi for AX2005.
I can't wait to see the photos of you two!

Quote:
And thank you for telling me what the name of the Data Book is in the SW thread. I appreciate it very much! ^^
It's my pleasure... I'm glad I could help!

Quote:
*Gasps* You're going to make Ma Chao!?! Whoa...that's awesome! I know you can do it! Ma Chao is awesome...he's one of the strongest characters in the game.
*laughs* Yeah, because I'm a masochist! I've started buying all of his materials, so it's official now. Thanks for having so much faith in me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydain
*What technique(s) do you all prefer for finishing seams on medium-to-heavy fabric that frays like crazy and doesn't take a crease?
Eee... I'm really boring with this one! I just overlock everything. If it frays really badly, I iron interfacing on it and then overlock it.

Oh! And your summary of Empires was great!

Quote:
*Hmm I found this interesting fabric at my local fabric store and it can be an alternative to the regular, expensive brocade (though it wouldn't hurt to buy either fabric): crepe de chine...yea you probably think i'm crazy now huh?? lol but the stuff i found was 8 bucks a yard!!
It sounds lovely! I used a fabric called Oriental Cuddleskin for minor pieces of my Gan Ning and Zhang Fei costumes... it was a great alternative to brocade - and a LOT cheaper. I'll have to do some searching for this Crepe de Chine... I'm really curious to see it now! Hey, if it looks good, use it!

Last edited by Melanie : 10-20-2004 at 07:46 AM.
Unread 10-21-2004, 10:01 AM   #566
Kirschwasser
God Save The Queen!

Quote:
I agree with Ochika, Empires is has GREAT visuals! You can rotate the character model however you want (even look up Da Qiao's skirt if you want your costume to be REALLY accurate! *laughs* I have three brothers - of course I know how to use the viewer for evil!) and zoom in on them too! It's also great for getting all the weapon details.
Melanie - That would be good reference for my fan art. I always have a hard time figuring out what the heck kind of patterns & designs & brocade the characters have on their outfits. I'm pretty sure that my fan art of Da Qiao, Xiao Qiao, Zhou Yu, Lu Bu, Sun Ce, & Diao Chan are only 80% accurate with detail...the rest I just made up myself because, well, you know...only so much reference. I should probably get the game just for fan art reference...especially for weapons Hey, that actually would be good for updating my Xiao Qiao (Level 11) fans. ^___^

Oh no...looking up Da Qiao's skirt...your naughty brothers!! Shame on them! *laughs*

Quote:
I can't wait to see the photos of you two!
Heh heh...I'll be sure to take many pics of me & my Magoichi when AX2005 comes rolling around. I'm so happy that my boyfriend said he would cosplay with me, because for the past to Anime Expo's, he wasn't able to go because he has a horrid work schedule. I'm also persueding my brother to go as a ninja...that is, if he isn't in police academy by then. That would be cool, then he could just say he would be my ninja bodyguard!

Quote:
Eh..uh i don't get wutchu meant about the 5th -- DW3 model of Da Qiao but I'll check out your gallery ^_^;; omg i'm so confused right now i better go to sleep
Chibi Plush Toy - Okay, you know how there are 6 different models for each characters in DW4? Well, for Da Qiao, there's default (Model 1) & Model 2 is the same outfit but different colours. Model's 3 & 4 are similar to Model's 1 & 2, but have different hair accessoires, the skirt is longers, socks shorter, etc, etc...Well, Model 5 is the same outfit that Da Qiao wears in DW3, but it is more detailed & the colours are just a tad bit different (to me, at least).

I should be able to upload my Da Qiao cosplay to my gallery, um...let's say, tommorow. *Hopefully* I just pray that I didn't come out looking like schiesse in my pictures.

Edit: Never mind...I got a picture of myself as Da Qiao in my gallery. If you actually like it, then please comment in my gallery.

Last edited by Kirschwasser : 10-21-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Kirschwasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2004, 05:19 PM   #567
Chibi Plush Toy
KTBSPA24-7

Yea Kirschwasser I like your costume it's just that I've never actually played Dynasty Warriors >.< so is there any place I could get reference pictures for all her models?
♥◌°
Unread 10-22-2004, 08:37 AM   #568
Rydain

Quote:
Yea Kirschwasser I like your costume it's just that I've never actually played Dynasty Warriors >.< so is there any place I could get reference pictures for all her models?
Your best bet would be to look at the galleries and links at yueying.net. If their own image collection doesn't include the alternate models (and it may not - they didn't have the alternates for either of my characters), a character shrine they link to might. I got some great reference pics from some of the links on that site.

And now I have a question for Melanie...how much did you have to interface the appliqued areas of your costumes to get the satin stitching to behave? I'm using duchess satin, a midweight fabric, for my sashes, and I plan to apply appropriate fusible interfacing (probably Pellon Featherweight unless it turns out to be too heavy) to the back of each piece and use Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite to iron on the appliques. (For the record, that particular product has temporary adhesive that lets you stick and reposition pieces to the fabric before you iron them on. I thought that property would really come in handy for detailed applique work.) The satin stitching will be done with machine embroidery thread. At any rate, do you think that will be an OK setup, or am I going to need heavier interfacing behind the appliques? Yeah, I know I need to do a test scrap before starting in on the good stuff, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Rydain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 01:54 PM   #569
Kirschwasser
God Save The Queen!

Quote:
I saw your comment in my gallery. Thank you! ^^ Like I said in my gallery (in case you didn't see it), you must play Dynasty Warriors 4. It's a fun game & when you actually play as Da Qiao, you'll like the character even more. The Wu Kingdom is the best. *Nods*

Yeah, like Rydain said...yueying.net has a lot of pictures of the DW characters. That's where I got my reference from.
Unread 10-24-2004, 06:45 AM   #570
Melanie

Quote:
Melanie - That would be good reference for my fan art. I always have a hard time figuring out what the heck kind of patterns & designs & brocade the characters have on their outfits.
Another technique for brocade on fanart is to scan a piece of it, and pattern fill the clothes. That's what I do with mine. Do you have your fanart online? I'd love to take a look at it!

Quote:
I should probably get the game just for fan art reference...especially for weapons Hey, that actually would be good for updating my Xiao Qiao (Level 11) fans. ^___^
Even if that's the only thing you use the game for, it will be totally worth it! Honestly, you won't find a better source for reference pics!

Quote:
Oh no...looking up Da Qiao's skirt...your naughty brothers!! Shame on them! *laughs*
That was only after they'd finished looking down Zhu Rong's top! *laughs*

Quote:
And now I have a question for Melanie...how much did you have to interface the appliqued areas of your costumes to get the satin stitching to behave? I'm using duchess satin, a midweight fabric, for my sashes, and I plan to apply appropriate fusible interfacing (probably Pellon Featherweight unless it turns out to be too heavy) to the back of each piece and use Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite to iron on the appliques.
Sounds like a good idea! I used a very light fusible interfacing on the back of the brocade, and the same on the back of the applique. Where you're going to use Steam-a-Seam, I used Vlisofix... but I should imagine they'll work much the same way. And then just be REALLY careful going around the appliques - I only did a couple of centimetres worth of stitching per day. I set the sewing machine to almost no tension, in the hope that it wouldn't pucker the fabric, and it worked beautifully.

Quote:
The satin stitching will be done with machine embroidery thread. At any rate, do you think that will be an OK setup, or am I going to need heavier interfacing behind the appliques? Yeah, I know I need to do a test scrap before starting in on the good stuff, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Hmm... I'd try to keep everything as light as possible, since the costume is going to be bulky enough already. Definitely have a couple of test runs before doing the real thing, and see what works best, but do try the lightest interfacing first and work up to the heavier, if need be.

Oh! I wish I could be there with you and see everything come together!