Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Unread 08-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
TheDarkYinYang
DarknessAflictsEvenHeros

Cool Dark Link Design Deviations?

Okay, I have an idea for this character that's basically Dark Link but the design is rater different with a lot more detail and flourish. Actually, I've taken to calling him Knil and think of him as a separate entity, more of an original OC rather than dark Link as he's slowly started to evolve into something different.

But like I say he's basically a really really intricate Dark Link... so what are your opinions on doing something like this? I mean, it's obvious he's Dark Link but I'm wondering if all the chains and intricate bits and bobs on the weapons and clothes are a good idea...

And this can be applied to other characters and I'm sure other people wonder... I'm just asking for myself and anyone too nervous to do so themselves.

I'm going to make it, I couldn't stand not to, but I still want people opinions on the idea as a whole.
TheDarkYinYang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Link_Harkanian
Hero of the Sky

It can depend really on the design. You mention chains, which is something to be careful with for a convention safe costume. However, in general, I very much encourage creativly and customization with design. It's how I ended up with the design for my Advent Battle variation for Link. Let the imagination have fun. You'll be more unique and recognizable that way.
Mystery Cosplay - ???
Things to do - Armor...lots of armor and makeup.

Upcoming Events

"Look to the Skies...and the Hero will come..."
Link_Harkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Twilight Faerie

I think it's a great idea...I always said that cosplay is a way to show off our creativity...I'd love to see a picture of this when it's finished...
Twilight Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
TheDarkYinYang
DarknessAflictsEvenHeros

Don't worrk about the chains 95% are secured directly to the costume and the only bits that hang at all are hardly more than 4 or 5 links worth. I've a had a lot of problams in the past of people pulling or stepping on them or getting caught on chains with a few other costumes.
Unread 08-27-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
InkyLink
The Ultimate Dark Link

I think it's cool! ^_^ I'm glad someone wants to do this interpretation with a lot of detail, because I think lots of people do their own interpretation but they lack the deep originality and intricacy to pull it off successfully. I really like what people come up with when they do it right. I can't wait to see progress! ^_^

I'm actually planning on making myself an extremely tattered hooded cloak to go over my costume soon. Wish me luck! ^_^

EDIT: Also, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see your design sheet! That'd be really great!

-InkyLink
A&G Ohio - ACEN - ColossalCon - YoumaCon

Last edited by InkyLink : 08-27-2007 at 04:10 AM.
InkyLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
TheDarkYinYang
DarknessAflictsEvenHeros

O.O Omg...Just looking at your avatar makes my jaw drop, the second I get the time I'm looking over your gallery!

The concept sheet is a whole bunch of 'baby' sketches at the moment, I'm going to take some time to flesh it out and do my full body 'posibility' pictures soon and I'll put them in my gallery and notify when they're up!

Your shield looks quite a lot like what I want to do, but I don't have that sort of talent quite yet. My whole theme is black and silver.

Last edited by TheDarkYinYang : 08-27-2007 at 05:35 AM.
Unread 08-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
InkyLink
The Ultimate Dark Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkYinYang View Post
O.O Omg...Just looking at your avatar makes my jaw drop, the second I get the time I'm looking over your gallery!

The concept sheet is a whole bunch of 'baby' sketches at the moment, I'm going to take some time to flesh it out and do my full body 'posibility' pictures soon and I'll put them in my gallery and notify when they're up!

Your shield looks quite a lot like what I want to do, but I don't have that sort of talent quite yet. My whole theme is black and silver.
^_^ Black and silver is the way to go! ^_^

Cool, yeah let me know when you get full sketches, I'm so willing to see!

I didn't make my weapons though, I got them special commissioned (by Aaron Granofsky of fiberglassblades.com) and they were expensive lol. But yes they do look very very nice, lol. Though now with the skills I've learned since I bought them, I could probably imitate them pretty well, especially if the new technique we're about to try works out. ^_~

-InkyLink
Unread 08-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

I think craftsmanship is key, here -- if you want to make an original costume because you have a great vision for the character, go for it! But I've been disappointed by some original concepts that were done simply because the person didn't feel like doing the detail work for the real design. It doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue with you, though! I'm interested to see how it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkyLink View Post
I'm actually planning on making myself an extremely tattered hooded cloak to go over my costume soon. Wish me luck! ^_^
Ooooohhhh... tattered cloak... *drool*

I can't think of any reason you should want or need to, but if you get insanely bored or something and want to discuss the crafting of tattered fabric edges, let me know. (I did the shredding on my sister's "Shredded Ed" costume.)

And I want to see photos of that, too!

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Link_Harkanian
Hero of the Sky

Quote:
I didn't make my weapons though, I got them special commissioned (by Aaron Granofsky of fiberglassblades.com) and they were expensive lol. But yes they do look very very nice, lol. Though now with the skills I've learned since I bought them, I could probably imitate them pretty well, especially if the new technique we're about to try works out. ^_~
Same guy I got my Master Sword from. ^^ I need to see if I can still get that Soul Cal from him for my Advent Battle variation.
Mystery Cosplay - ???

Upcoming Events

Unread 08-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
InkyLink
The Ultimate Dark Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link_Harkanian View Post
Same guy I got my Master Sword from. ^^ I need to see if I can still get that Soul Cal from him for my Advent Battle variation.
Really? I thought your sword looked like Amethyst_Angel's. Weird. ^_^

You'd use the Soul Calibur sword for your OC Link costume? That's an expensive one.

-InkyLink
Unread 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Inked~Wrong
CLEAN MY SHOE!

I too am doing a Dark Link type outfit, thought mines going to try and be TP inspired. ~_^ I'm at the baby stages of drawing it out and such, piece by piece. I'm going for a more Red/black/silver/grey tone to mine, also Battle torn/burned/sword cuts type of deal. :3 I can't wait to see your Idea's for it~!
Unread 08-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
Link_Harkanian
Hero of the Sky

Quote:
Really? I thought your sword looked like Amethyst_Angel's. Weird. ^_^

You'd use the Soul Calibur sword for your OC Link costume? That's an expensive one.

-InkyLink
Oh, my old one was from Amethyst. My NEW one was Aaron's work. I need to get the photos up soon. And yes, it will be pricy, but worth it
Mystery Cosplay - ???

Upcoming Events

Unread 08-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #13
InkyLink
The Ultimate Dark Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link_Harkanian View Post
Oh, my old one was from Amethyst. My NEW one was Aaron's work. I need to get the photos up soon. And yes, it will be pricy, but worth it
Ah, ok. I thought it was. ^_^

-InkyLink