Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Connecticon

Unread 08-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
MagentaFox
Hexagons are evil...

Repeats

Anyone else feel like CTicon can sometimes feel like Anime Boston Lite? I see Masq skits from AB, costumes from AB, AMVs from AB. I thought CTicon had a rule against repeat costumes (for judging), videos, skits, etc.

Anime Next
Catelyn Stark - Game of Thrones
Narcissa Malfoy - Harry Potter

Connecticon
Isabela - Dragon Age 2
Sonia Nevermind - Dangan Ronpa 2
Miranda Lawson (DLC Armor) - Mass Effect

Dragon*Con
Lady Stoneheart - Game of Thrones
Rogue Champion Hawke - Dragon Age 2
Narcissa Malfoy - Harry Potter
Miranda Lawson (DLC Armor) - Mass Effect
MagentaFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Gale
All the world's a stage

I'm pretty sure the rule is you can't repeat anything that's been done at Connecticon in the past, but things used at other cons are fair game, and I don't really have a problem with their not having such a clause in their rules.

That said, it does kind of annoy me to see unchanged masq skits at several different cons month after month. Its one thing if you take the same idea and improve upon it, its another if you take a skit, especially one that was poorly received in the past, and re-do it just 'cause its there and done and so you don't have to come up with something new.

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
That said, it does kind of annoy me to see unchanged masq skits at several different cons month after month. Its one thing if you take the same idea and improve upon it, its another if you take a skit, especially one that was poorly received in the past, and re-do it just 'cause its there and done and so you don't have to come up with something new.
URGAAAAGAHAHAHHHHAAHHH... Repeat Masq skits. Don't get me started.

Most cons have a pretty standard rule prohibiting the performance of the same skit more than once. However, it is not common for conventions to prohibit skits that were performed at OTHER cons.

It IS considered extremely poor form to compete a skit at a smaller convention after it was competed at a larger convention. (This is made even worse if the skit WON something at the larger con.)

I did not stay for the entire CTcon Masq (left right after our skit) but from what I recall seeing on YouTube, I do not recall any of those skits being in AB'07's Masq.

In my opinion, no one should be competing a skit at CTcon if it was already competed ay AB. AB is a con of roughly 12,000 attendees. The Masq. itself is seen by 3,000-4,000 of them. CTcon's entire attendence is around 4,000.

Bad form. EXTREMELY Bad Form.

Anime Boston 2011 Guest Relations Division
Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."
LadyHawke78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Adara

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHawke78 View Post
URGAAAAGAHAHAHHHHAAHHH... Repeat Masq skits. Don't get me started.

Most cons have a pretty standard rule prohibiting the performance of the same skit more than once. However, it is not common for conventions to prohibit skits that were performed at OTHER cons.

It IS considered extremely poor form to compete a skit at a smaller convention after it was competed at a larger convention. (This is made even worse if the skit WON something at the larger con.)

I did not stay for the entire CTcon Masq (left right after our skit) but from what I recall seeing on YouTube, I do not recall any of those skits being in AB'07's Masq.

In my opinion, no one should be competing a skit at CTcon if it was already competed ay AB. AB is a con of roughly 12,000 attendees. The Masq. itself is seen by 3,000-4,000 of them. CTcon's entire attendence is around 4,000.

Bad form. EXTREMELY Bad Form.
The skit with Rose and Ed from FMA dancing to the song from Anastasia was at both AB and CtCon this year. And while it was nicely done, it bothered me that it was done TWICE. :\

2011 cosplay: Bellatrix LeStrange, Alice (SyFy miniseries)
Adara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adara View Post
The skit with Rose and Ed from FMA dancing to the song from Anastasia was at both AB and CtCon this year. And while it was nicely done, it bothered me that it was done TWICE. :\

Ohhhh... yeah. That one was a last-minute switch for an AB group. I didn't see that one on YouTube (for CT-con.)

I'll have to look it up and compare the two performances. I'm curious now. I've been checking high-profile East Coast con stuff out on YouTube just to keep myself aware of repeats that might register for AB.

I do know for a fact that said skit did not take any awards at Anime Boston.

EDIT: I can only assume that CTcon has the same rules regarding repeats. Our skit was exhibition since it was over time limit, so I really didn't bother reading the rules too closely. CyanKirby is CTcon's Masq head, and she knows her stuff, so I can assume she runs a pretty tight show.

Green Room Staff

"You know what gets me really hot? Ten thousand tons of molten steel and jet fuel. And soccer."

Last edited by LadyHawke78 : 09-26-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Unread 09-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Gale
All the world's a stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adara View Post
They didn't mean to do that one at AB and they improved upon it A LOT by CTcon. I thought it was really well done too. They're one of the exceptions to my criticism of this year. I wish I could have seen their original AB skit. I was standing with them in line, and I guess someone didn't show up or something so they happened to have the music and winged it (and did not get any awards). At CTcon it was actually choreographed.

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #7
Shelke
~ ~ ~ ~

i hate seeing the same skit over again. you think someone would realize that half of CTcon attends anime boston X_x....
Yami Bakura

~~~
we're walking in the air
we're floating in the moonlit sky..
Shelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Adara

Quote:
They didn't mean to do that one at AB and they improved upon it A LOT by CTcon. I thought it was really well done too. They're one of the exceptions to my criticism of this year. I wish I could have seen their original AB skit. I was standing with them in line, and I guess someone didn't show up or something so they happened to have the music and winged it (and did not get any awards). At CTcon it was actually choreographed.
Oh, alright, that makes a bit more sense, then. At least there was a reason behind why they did it twice. xD

2011 cosplay: Bellatrix LeStrange, Alice (SyFy miniseries)
Adara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
LadyHawke78
Open Your Eyes...

Quote:
Looked, watched, and yes. Same concept, same music, completely different choreography. Some of the stuff from CTcon was closer to the Anastasia movie...

At AB, this group originally registered with three people. (I believe there was a Sephiroth in the skit or something.) They had Sat. judging, and Sephy never showed. EDIT-- checked AB Masq spreadsheet. Three FFVIIAC people from the group never showed up. Original group had 5 ppl. Meg and Ceal improvised from here on out...

So, they were totally debating even entering the Masq. at all. The last min. on Sat, they decided that they would enter, and do a skit they had begun working on for another con. They were literally practicing the choreography backstage as they had not planned to perform it.

Green Room Staff

Unread 09-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagentaFox View Post
Anyone else feel like CTicon can sometimes feel like Anime Boston Lite? I see Masq skits from AB, costumes from AB, AMVs from AB. I thought CTicon had a rule against repeat costumes (for judging), videos, skits, etc.
Speaking from an AMVer's perspective, I agree and disagree. Personally, the two AMVs I submitted to CTcon were not submitted to AB. (One was submitted to Otakon but didn't make finals.)
When it comes to music videos, though, it is a fairly common practice to submit videos simultaneously to several conventions, BUT it is considered in very bad form to submit a video to a convention that has already won an award at another con.