Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
panda0920

Are these good make-up choices for cosplaying Ulquiorra Schiffer from Bleach?

Long title, but it says it all. I've decided to do Ulquiorra Schiffer from Bleach, aka the emo clown boy, as I've seen him called. The outfit and stuff isn't a problem, but it's the first time doing a whole face paint in my life. Here's a reference picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...AnimeEp113.jpg

His face, as most people paint it, is pure pasty white. I want to make it look real and not some of that cheap Halloween paint at some party stores. So I decided to look up some Ben Nye products. I was wondering about if anyone thought my choice in products was good. Also I'm still new to this, I've heard of sprays to keep the paint lasting, so here is what I've chosen, I'm not ordering till I get people's opinions as well:

Whole white face:
Ben Nye Ash Powder
-or-
creme character bases, they have a color called 'skeleton white' which is sorta what I'm aiming for, but not sure if that's the right deal to do or not? I do think the 'skeleton white' will do good, after looking at the color chart again. I know not many people do this cosplay, even though the character is awesome in my opinion, but it should be similair to do characters like Kisame and Zetsu from Naruto, face paint just different colors.

For cleansers I'm thinking about buying Ben Nye's Hydra Cleanser, for before putting on make-up, then using Quick Cleanse, to remove the make-up and clean the pores better.

For his lips, I've seen people usually only paint the first lip, but I was thinking of maybe just buying some cheap, but decent black lipstick and using it on my top lip only or both lips, not sure I also need advise on that part as well. Also is that Ben Nye face paint usuable on lips?

Also on make-up sealers, I found one also by Ben Nye, called Final Seal Matte Makeup Sealer, for anyone who has used this sealer, does it work really well? Is it appropriate for me to use? I know this post is long and quite bothersom, but I need to know soon, so I can save up the right amount of money to use, since I'm buying the costume, since I don't have sewing skills and it's not too exspensive either. Ok, I'm not sure exactly what to use to make the teal tear lines going down from his eyes, but for the black eyeliner lines around his eyes, I'm thinking about using Cake Eye Liner, also by Ben Nye. They have a black and I think it'd be thick enough to do the shapes that are a part of his eyes. Well this is, once again, my first time with using so much make-up, I want to look accurate and somewhat professional at my cosplaying, if any of you have any ideas or advice for this cosplay, please do tell me. Thank you all once again.
panda0920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

I used to paint myself white all the time for my Haydee costume... but I'm not at home, so I can't check to see which variety/color of Ben Nye I used. I'm pretty sure it was the kind marketed for clowns and mimes, though... I started with an oil-based Ben Nye makeup, and eventually switched to water-based Mehron Star Blend because it stayed on better -- but the Mehron isn't quite as opaque, so you'll probably want to stick with the Ben Nye.

I use the sealant spray both over and underneath my makeup, to help it last longer. I'm also a big fan of antiperspirant setting powder. Search this forum for some of the previous all-over makeup threads -- there are dozens of them -- to get the pros and cons of various sealant sprays.

I would NOT recommend painting both lips black -- it will be too bold and too dark, and you'll end up looking like all the Crow-wannabe goths I went to high school with. ^_^ You'll want to blacken the upper lip only, and maybe only half of that, depending on the shape of your mouth. Make sure you apply the white makeup completely over your lips as well, and be very careful when eating or drinking (you'll probably have to reapply the lip makeup after lunch).

For the teal lines, go into the Health & Beauty department at any drug store/Target/etc. and look at all-day eyeliners. You probably won't want a wood pencil type -- they tend to be more dense, and won't apply well over the Ben Nye -- but look at liquid/cream liners and soft crank-up liners. Metallic teals and greens are in fashion right now, so it shouldn't be hard to find the right color. **Keep in mind that you want the lines to look as crisp and fine as possible. If in doubt, go with a darker or bolder color that will stand out more on your face.**

One other thing to consider is your eyebrows. Are you planning on latexing them over? Shaving them? Simply painting them white? (If you need a tutorial on hiding eyebrows, just search the forum; I think there are at least three of them.)

Sorry I can't be more help, but all of my cosplay makeup is some miles away right now, so I can't check the labels... Good luck!

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
panda0920

Thank you lots, I'm changing some of what I buy, like the cake eye liner, I probably won't buy, but since Halloween make-up is starting to come in stock, I'll look around for a good black one, to do the eyes, I'll probably just go with the Ben Nye Ash Powder for making my face look lighter, I don't want it to be so white it looks fake. I'll take your advice for the green lines under his eyes, those are the main thing, since they give him more of his meloncholic look and thanks for the tips on the lipstick or paint. I'll probably do what you said. Thanks once more.
panda0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
FFrikku
needs a life

Um, I have a question for the same outfit.
Where can I buy black lip stuff or anything to go on my top lip? I've heard that the ones at Hot Topic are sticky and pasty and smelled bad, so is there also a paint or something I could use?

Nekocon
Feliciano Vargas (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Chibitalia (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Ciel Phantomhive ("Smile" version) (Kuroshitsuji)
Meiko(Vocaloid)
Magnet Meiko (Vocaloid)
FFrikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
iBluu

Ben Nye?

iBluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
FFrikku
needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBluu View Post
http://www.stagemakeuponline.com/ link at the bottom

Nekocon
Feliciano Vargas (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Chibitalia (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Ciel Phantomhive ("Smile" version) (Kuroshitsuji)
Meiko(Vocaloid)
Magnet Meiko (Vocaloid)
FFrikku is offline   Reply With Quote