Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 09-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
raNar
~Split.Image.Cosplay~

Contacts for Dark Eyes (Picture ONLY thread)

Purpose:
This thread is designed to help cosplayer with dark eyes look at pictures of contact lenses in real eyes that other cosplayers have purchased.

*PLEASE ONLY POST PICTURES OF THE LENSES YOU YOURSELF ARE WEARING! This thread is NOT to ask if anyone knows where to buy lenses or if anyone knows of any good <insert color> lenses of <insert character>. It is simply for looking at real people wearing the contacts, so you can see if they are what you're really looking for. THAT INCUDES SPAMMING with messages about promotions to website offers. That is why the PM feature is there.

Also, it'd be nice that if you have used contacts of a certain brands to give an overview with your experience, however, I'd ask that you do have pictures to show the results if you're going to review seeing that is what most people are looking for. (Pictures to see how well it worked NOT just words)

With your post, if you can, post a picture of the way the lenses looks in low convention hallway lighting, with flash, without flash, outdoor lighting, etc. The more lighting the better it is to see what the actual lense looks like. Otherwise please note if the lense is noticable in all those lightings. IF ANYONE WANTS MORE INFORMATION OR PICTURES THAN WHAT IS GIVEN ON THIS THREAD, PM THE POSTER AND ASK! I have a feeling, most of us cosplayers will be more than willing to help you out the best we can.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Click on the numbers to view to post.

BLUE Contact reviews:

Post # 2, 4, 5 , 20, 22, 30, 39, 57, 83, 94, 107, 132, 134, 135,

AQUA Contact reviews:

Post# 7, 22, 31, 94, 107, 120,

GREEN Contact reviews:

Post # 2, 4, 7, 9, 20, 30, 83, 109, 120, 134

Gold/Hazel/Yellow Contact reviews:

Post # 2, 6

Custom Contact reviews:

Post # 3 (Alantian) 7 (Purple kitty)

Other Contact reviews:

Purple: 2, 6
Orange: 7
Red: 7

LIGHT COLORED EYES POST: 4

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

NOTE: As we all should know and understand, you must first visit an optometrist before you can order contacts from anyway. This is important because we only have one set of eyes, so please follow the warnings and labels on your contacts. It is not wise to use them after their expiration date or share with anyone. (I'm a twin and I don't even let my twin use my contacts) Cosplaying is about having fun, and it wouldn't be fun if you lose damaged vision because you wanted to save $30 on contacts.

~*~*~*~*~~*

Links on where to purchase contacts online:

http://www.9mmsfx.com
http://wwww.cosplaylab.com
http://www.visiondirect.com
http://www.trycolorcontacts.com
http://www.color-my-eyes.com
http://www.comfortlenses.com
http://www.vampfangs.com

~*~*~*~*~*~*

One last note, these pictures are ALL from personal experience, and are intended on helping people see real results, hear opinions, and consider options. This does not mean you will have the same results as the person before you, so please be considerate to everyone for taking time to do this. PM the poster if you need any further help, I'm sure people will be more then happy to assist. Just remember, everyone's eyes are different.

Best of luck everyone, and I hope this can help some people.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last edited by raNar : 07-06-2008 at 01:38 PM.
raNar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
raNar
~Split.Image.Cosplay~

Here are MY opinion on some of the brands I have sampled:

Rating scale:
:3 Wonderful
:) Good
:| Okay
:( Not so good
>:/ No worth the money

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Freshlook:
http://www/freshlookcontacts.com

In my experience I have seen both really good results and really bad results. They have different kinds of lenses, some made for dark eyes and some made for light eyes, you're ALWAYS going to want to go with the ones made for dark eyes, because the color is made so as to cover the darkness, opaque color.

At most offices they are willing to let you try a demo pair on, this is a GREAT oppertunity to see and sample what the contacts are REALLY going to look like in YOUR eyes. You don't get this option with theaterical lenses that have online stores. Maybe to bring a camera to take some pictures, with and without the flash, or ask if you can buy a case to bring them home to think about, and then you and a friend can decide which you like better or if you need to look for different options.

The color on these lenses is in "rays", so far as to what I've found. While this doesn't mean that the color shows up any less, I do find that the color is more realistic looking in comparison to Acuvue's, who's seem to be "flat" (read more about that in the Acuvue review I made later on). However, I do feel this brand sometimes offers less color to dark eyes, because it allows your natural color to show to contrast to the lense color. This does give it a more natural look. However it is best to test out both FreshLook and Acuvue because they have simular colors available; one sometimes shows better than the other. (i.e. Freshlook honey showed 100 times better in my eyes verses Acuvue's warm honey)

Pros:
~Color covers large amount of eye
~Pupil hole is small enough not to cause red eye in the pictures
~Very cost friendly (about $30 a box for three pairs)
~Naural looking
~Several color choices

Cons:
~ Not all the lenses offer a noticable change
~Not a extreme change in color, but enough to look natural, not extreme eye catching color

Color(s) that I've sampled and used:

FreshLook ColorBlends Green:

Rating: :)

Opinion: Overall, a wonderful lenses that is comfortable and natural looking. Worth the $30!

Pros:
~Great change in color
~Natural looking
~Very comfortable (I could wear these contacts for very long periods of time without them getting dry or irritating my eyes.)
~Showed in both, low indoor light, with a flash (best way visible), and outdoor light.

Cons:
~For new contact wears, may be a bit difficult to put in at first. The lenses is very thin, however this allows for longer wearing and better comfort
~Last about 2 weeks after wearing
~Color does not show up too well without a flash on camera or unless you're in direct sunlight

FreshLook ColorBlends Amethyst:

Rating: >:/

Opinion: Overall, not worth buying if you have my eye color. Prehaps with a darker eye it may be more visible.

Pros:
~N/A

Cons:
~Little, if any color change in eye.

FreshLook ColorBlends Honey

Rating: :3

Overall: A nice change in the color of my eyes. Vibrant and bright. Comfortable and highly worth buying.

Pros:
~Great change in color (One of the best I've seen in this brand)
~Natural looking, yet very noticable change
~Very comfortable (I could wear these contacts for very long periods of time without thing getting dry or irritating my eyes.)
~Showed in both, low indoor light, with a flash (best way visible), no flash!!!, and outdoor light.

Cons:
~For new contact wears, may be a bit difficult to put in at first. The lenses is very thin, however this allows for longer wearing and better comfort

Acuvue 2 Colours:
http://www.acuvue.com

In my experience I have seen both really good results and really bad results. They have different kinds of lenses, some made for dark eyes and some made for light eyes, you're ALWAYS going to want to go with the ones made for dark eyes, because the color is made so as to cover the darkness, opaque color.

At most offices they are willing to let you try a demo pair on, this is a GREAT oppertunity to see and sample what the contacts are REALLY going to look like in your eyes. You don't get this option with theaterical lenses that have online stores..

The color on this lenses is "full", so far as to what I've found. While this doesn't mean that the color shows up any better, I do find that the color is a bit flat looking in comparison to FreshLook's. However, I do feel this brand sometimes offers more color to dark eyes, because of the fullness of color on the lenses itself. However it is best to test out both FreshLook and Acuvue because they have simular colors, however one sometimes shows better than the other. (i.e. Acuvue sapphire blue showed 100 times better in my eyes verses FreshLook's True sapphire)

Pros:
~Color covers large amount of eye
~Pupil hole is small enough not to cause red eye in the pictures
~Very cost friendly (about $30 a box for three pairs)
~"Full color" having a nice animated feel to the color
~Several color choices

Cons:
~ Not all the lenses offer a noticable change
~Not extremely noticable dramatic change for most colors (Sapphire blue is an exception)

Acuvue 2 Colours Sapphire blue:

Opinion: Overall, this is the best blue contact I've found to date. I've also used ColorMax blue, however I feel this one is able to be worn for longer periods of time without irritation as well as shows off more color. Highly worth buying

Pros:
~Stunning amount of color (most color I've found be a blue lenses)
~Super comfortable (Most comfortable lenses I've worn)
~Shows in all lights. (Outdoor, low light indoor, flash, and no flash), though low lighting isn't as noticable.

Cons:

Acuvue 2 Colours Warm Honey:

Rating: :(

WILL REVIEW ONCE I FIND MY PICTURES
Unread 09-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
raNar
~Split.Image.Cosplay~

ColorMax:
In my experience these lenses are made for people with black eyes or extremely dark eyes. This lenses ARE NOT made for people with dark green eyes or light brown eyes. While you can wear them, if you're prone to getting red eye in pictures, you'll most likly get them with these lenses. That is because of the large pupil hole in the lenses. While it does give you a more dramatic look and feel, you most remember your natural eye color will show through, and possibly cause red eye in photographs. My eyes are a deep hazel color, and sometimes, very rarly however, I would get red eye in photographs. Out of the ...... 3 or hundred pictures I've taken I'd say it's happened no more than about 5 times.

The color on this lenses is in "rays" with large pupil holes, a black outside ring to add to the diameter on your eye, some color "rays" on the inside of that ring, and the rest of it is made up of your eye color. While this doesn't mean that the color shows up any less, I do find that the color isn't as bright as it could be if the lenses wasn't stamped, but hand painted, or the stamp had a few more "rays" of color. This does keep the lenses and color looking real, but also draws a bit of dramatic appeal to it.

Pros:
~Natural yet brillant color change of eyes
~Looks animated but still realistic
~The lenses last around 3 months
~Inexpensive ($40)
~Several color choices
~Thicker lense

Cons:
~Can not be worn as long without irritation, unlike the FreshLook and Acuvue
~Large pupil hole that may cause red eye

ColorMax Blue:

Opinion: Great lense, amazing color change, gives animated look to eye not still looks natural. Can be worn for about 8 hours without irritation. Highly worth buying.

Pros:
~Nice opaque blue color
~ Making eyes look wider in diameter (because of outside ring)
~ Shows nicely in all lightings, though low lighting isn't at noticable

Cons:
~Shorter wear time then FreshLook or Acuvue
~ Red eye may accord
~ Thickness may be uncomfortable to some

TruColor/WaterColor:

In my experience I have only bought one lense from this brand, and will never even look into sampling their lenses again. These lenses seem to be for someone with light eyes, rather than dark eyes, but I wonder if it would even work on light eyes. There was not much if any color change with these lenses. Maybe slight tinting.

The color on this lenses is in "rays" and the rest of it is made up of your eye color. There is a lot of color on the lenses itself, but I don't believe the color is opaque enough to show over your eye.

I don't want to forces on this lense too much because of the general disappointment overall.

Pros:
~N/A

Cons:
~Little or no eye color

TruColor/WaterColor Honey Lens:

Rating: >:/

WILL REVIEW ONCE I FIND THE PICTURES

Private eye/Bella:

In my experience these lenses have a lot of color and design to them of a fairly cheap lense. I've only ordered one from them and I wasn't at all disappointed. The color is vivid and stands out. I'd be willing to try other colors as well just to review them.

The color on this lenses is in "full" as well as with some "rays". I seems like they are trying to follow the ColorMax's idea with using the ring on the outside of the lenses. This is one of the nicest things about these lenses, because it gives you lots of color but also making it realiztic with the rays. It mixes natural colors of your color and the color of the opaque coloring on the lenses to add detail and realism to your eye. Because the lenses is thicker then that of the FreshLook and Acuvue, the wearing time without irritation is around 8 hours. The lenses may look a little animated or fun in the packaging, but it blinds well once in your eye. I was more than a little worried when I received it in the mail.

Pros:
~Nice opaque color
~ Making eyes look wider in diameter (because of outside ring)
~ Shows nicely in all lightings

Cons:
~Shorter wear time then FreshLook or Acuvue
~ Thickness may be uncomfortable to some

Private Eye/Bella Hazel Autumn

WILL BE REVIEW ONCE I FIND THE PICTURES

Custom Lenses (Alantian with customing on them):

Those were the most expense contacts I bought. They costed me $260. However, I am very dissatisfied with them, so I will never be wearing them. However, the color is completely opaque and covers my eyes entirely. I got the company to paint some lines on the inside of the lens, like the ColorMax, however they is still way too much color on the lens, for as bright as it is. In my case something I was not looking for. The lenses were also very thick, and too painful for me to wear.

Most of te time customs come out beautifully, however, my experience was unforunate.

Opinion: Well I had a bad experience, the contacts were well crafted and beautifully done. The only problem I found really was the thickness of the lense. It wasn't comfortable the minute it was in my eye, so I'm assuming long term wear isn't a good possiblity.

Pros:
~Entire eye color change
~Can have the lenses done anyway you'd like

Cons:
~Very animated looking
~Very thick lense (Was very painful for me to wear)
~Very pricey
~Tunnel Vision
Unread 09-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
Crystalike
:3

I'm wearing the Acuvue 2 Color Opaques in order top to bottom: Sapphire Blue, Jade Green in one eye and Sapphire Blue in the other, Jade Green, and Warm Honey. From www.trycolorcontacts.com http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1086462

Overview: These contacts don't fit my eyes completely well, as they sometimes slide around, but they are soft and easy to take care of, and are stunning in person. The blue ones are really beautiful and look natural, but the green ones are just not good for dark eyes if you want a light green but are okay for dark-green eyed characters. The Honey colored ones are too dark...Anyways I wore these contacts for over 12 hours at Fanime, and they didn't dry or hurt, so long-term wear is possible.

And here in this pic: The Ambition brand Green contacts, Amber contacts, and one Green contact and Sapphire blue contact from the previous site above. These contacts are from http://color-my-eyes.com/default.aspx

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1216838

Overview: These Ambition ones are the perfect size for my eye, and I can see quite clearly out of them; no blurriness. They really do stand out in person or in photos, and are perfect for Asian or dark-colored eyes, as I have dark dark dark brown eyes and these contacts covered everything well. These feel just like my normal clear prescription contacts, and long-term use (12+ hours) would be fine.

And I'm so sorry but I don't quite know how to put pictures directly in the thread.

Last edited by Crystalike : 09-07-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Crystalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
coyoterose
Kathy Griffin of cosplay!

Okay, I'll bite. I have medium-light eyes so mileage will vary, especially because Freshlook lenses are designed to blend with one's natural color rather than cover it completely.

Freshlook Dimensions & ColorBlends

Purchased From: Save on Lens

Experience: Positive. I'm blind as a bat and this company offers single trial pairs with power. They take Paypal and shipped promptly.

Dimensions "Sea Green"

Review: These are enhancer lenses and are meant to tint your natural eye color, not drastically change it. I bought these hoping to add some pop to my already green eyes. The photo was taken outdoors in shade. I'm only wearing a lens in one eye. Guess which one! ;D

Give up? It's the right eye as you look at the image. Subtle can be good, yes, but this is so subtle as to be almost pointless. These would probably have best effect on light blue eyes. Not quite what I was hoping for, but not too expensive so no harm done.

------------------

ColorBlends "Amethyst"

Review: I had heard on a contact lens review site that this color tends to look more brown than purple, but I decided to give them a try anyway.

Even close-up and under the bright light of a camera flash, it's looking pretty natural. Color me surprised!

Outside in the shade, it takes on a blue-grey cast. Under all the glare, that is. >_<

Looking in the bathroom mirror between shots it seemed to me that the Amethyst made my eye look golden brown, but the light in my bathroom is distinctly yellow, so that probably accounts for that.

------------------

ColorBlends "Sapphire"

Review:

Comparing FL Sapphire to Amethyst side by side. Sapphire is really bright.

It's even brighter close-up with flash. The contrast between the blue and my natural green-hazel is odd-looking as well, close up.

Take away the flash and it's still vivid! I don't particularly care for how this particular lens looks on me, but if you need bright blue eyes on a budget, it's not bad.

Pros:
- Common brand so they're easy to come by.
- The blending effect and limbal ring gives a very natural effect.

Cons:
- Being one-month disposables, the lenses are quite thin. They must be handled carefully to avoid tearing them.
- Are expensive compared to come other longer-lasting brands.
- Isn't really an opaque lens, so the color will vary depending on your natural color.

Rating They aren't bad lenses, but I think there are better ones available for the same cost. I probably won't be buying this brand again for cosplay purposes.

Golden Leaves Cosplay : GL on Etsy : GL on eCrater

"When did cosplay become such a popularity contest anyways?"
"When people started forgetting they're nerds playing dress up."

Feed an animal in need for free!

Last edited by coyoterose : 10-16-2010 at 11:19 PM.
coyoterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 01:23 AM   #6
LadyoftheThread
stitcher of fantasies

Okay, I have a couple of reviews. These lenses were purchased from my optometrist but can also be found on some of the online contacts sites.

Durasoft 3 Optifit Toric Colorblends: Amethyst
(These are custom made toric lenses manufactured by Ciba Vision, which also makes the Freshlook brand.)

Pros:
-can be worn all day since they’re regular color lenses
-they’re toric so people who need lenses for astigmatism can wear them
-this brand has a few more colors available than stock toric lenses such as Freshlook Colorblends Toric
-one of the few purple lenses available in toric; Freshlook Colorblends Toric do not come in purple and from the research I did, it seems like the only way to get purple lenses in toric is to have them custom made
-natural-looking

Cons:
-did not show very much in my dark eyes; without bright light, they can hardly be seen and in my opinion, they look more dark gray than purple.
-very expensive, about $200 for a pair
-have to be custom made, which can take a long time (mine took 3 weeks and only one lens came in before I left for the convention -_-)
-toric lenses are supposed to be designed so they won’t rotate but at times, it feels like this pair slides more and makes my vision blurrier than my non-toric hazel lenses. O_o

Rating: >:/ Not worth the $200 if you have eyes as dark as mine!

Freshlook Colorblends: Pure Hazel

Pros:
-can be worn all day since they’re regular color lenses
-available as stock lenses so less waiting time for orders
-not that expensive
-natural-looking

Cons:
-did not show very well in my dark eyes; they can hardly be seen without bright light
-this shade isn’t available in toric and it was a while before my optometrist agreed to order them for me because I have a bit of astigmatism and he initially wanted all my lenses to be toric.
-I normally wear toric lenses so I was a bit unused to handling these thinner, floppier lenses ^_^;
-very little contrast with the amethyst lens; I was trying to do a mismatched eye effect but since the color showed so little for both lenses, it just looked like I had 2 dark eyes.

Rating: :l They’re okay but I probably wouldn’t buy them again.

And now, the pictures… Here’s my regular eye color. Yeah, my eyes are nearly black. ^_^;;

Here’s an indoor pic taken with flash. The amethyst lens is in my right eye and pure hazel is in the left.

Although you can see the colors decently above, the lenses tend to be very difficult to see once photos are sized down enough to post in the galleries here. A couple of months back, a friend of mine did an outdoor photoshoot for me while I was wearing these lenses and they couldn’t even really be seen in the closeups. Out of a couple dozen pics, I think this is the only one where you can kind of see the lenses if you lean really close to your computer screen and know that they’re supposed to be there. ^_^;;; I was wearing them in all of these photos, too, but they don't show at all: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...0&member=10168

And here’s a crop from a large resolution picture of the pure hazel lenses taken outside, in the shade. While my eyes don’t look as dark as they normally are, the lenses still aren’t very visible and the color becomes even less noticeable in the low resolution version here: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1171188

So, considering my experiences, I wouldn’t bother with buying regular color contacts again since my eyes are so dark. I’d wanted regular lenses if possible since they can be worn longer than theatrical lenses but it doesn’t do much good if the color doesn’t show. :-/ I bought new theatrical contacts from Cosplay Lab recently and they’re much more visible on my eyes but I’ll review those another time after I get pictures.
Next conventions: Anime Boston 2011, Costume Con 29

Last edited by LadyoftheThread : 09-16-2007 at 10:09 AM.
LadyoftheThread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I have medium brown eyes, and have some contacts so people can judge if they want similiar.

Water Colors - Green

On the left side of picture is green water color, right is normal. Several people commented about color in person but its rare they show in pictures. Originally bought for Gaara, they failed in that purpose but I now use them for Seth. No other problems with them.

Rating - Okay

Gothika - Green Rave & Color Max - Aqua

The green raves were gotten as a replacement for the watercolor green. They actually do show in some photos as Gaara, but sometimes move around a bit so I have a bit of green partially blocking my vision. The color max aquas may look similar to water colors, but they have a much better percentage of showing in pictures.

Green Rave - pretty good
Color Max - Aqua - great

Gothika - Vampire Red & Gothika - Froggy

I haven't used the red with a costume yet. I love the way the froggies look. No issues here

Gothikas - pretty good

Color Max - Violet & Custom SFX - Purple Kitty

Didn't complete the costume yet using violet for, but if they do as well as aqua should be no issues. The Purple Kitties show up okay in photos, only problem is that they will spin some so slits not vertical

Custom SFX - Purple Kitty - okay

Gothika - Zombie
Don't have a close up shot of these, but like all Gothika lens I have they feel like normal contacts and are made to cover the wearer's eye color so show up decent percentage of time in pictures

Zombie - pretty good
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
coyoterose

Comfort Colors "Bold" Violet

Comfort Colors "Bold" Violet a.k.a "Impressions Violet"

Purchased from: http://color-my-eyes.com

Experience: Very positive. The company is US-based, accepts Paypal and ship very promptly. I had my lenses in about three days.

A note before I proceed:
  • Comfort Colors "Daring" = Color Max
  • Comfort Colors "Subtle" = CosplayLab's Venus
The lenses are identical and both companies are excellent, so how can you go wrong? It's just a matter of who you prefer to do business with.

Review: I purchased these lenses because I had wanted a more striking effect than the Freshlook lenses gave. I went with the "Bold" violet looked like it might photograph a darker shade than the "Subtle" violet, which is what I wanted.

However, I'd heard it mentioned and it held true for me: "Bold" is something of a misnomer. Under regular indoor lighting I could hardly see them at all. (I'm told the "Subtle" line is actually a lot more vivid than this line.)

On the left, we have the Bold Violet indoors with flash. On the right is Freshlook Amethyst. I ended up liking the Freshlook better because it looked more natural. The contrast between my natural eye color and the violet was just... Ick.

Pros:
-Thicker than one-month lenses so they are easier to handle and will last longer.
-A good price, which gets even better when you factor in cost vs. life.
-More theatrical than most colored lenses, but not so much that they look completely artificial.

Cons:
-Are designed for dark brown or black eyes, so lighter-eyed folk can end up with some weird contrast between the lens color and their natural eyes.
-Not available in toric.

Rating: Despite not looking as I had hoped, they're a great lens. I will more than likely stick with this company for my colored-contact needs in the future.

Last edited by coyoterose : 10-16-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Unread 09-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
coyoterose

Create Eyewear Two-Tone Green

Purchased from: Color Lens 4 Less

Experience: Good. Shipping from Hong Kong took about two weeks, which is standard.

Review: I decided to try these because they looked to be a very bright, true green unlike the "soft" and "muddy" greens offered by other companies. Indeedy they were!

Indoors with flash.

Indoors with natural light.

They are a little scary up-close and in the case. The pattern makes them look like lizard skin. But in natural light and at normal conversation distance, they looked good.

Pros:
-Three-month lenses, comparable in thickness/durability to Comfort Lenses brand.
-Great price!
-Lovely bright rich colors that are hard to find in contact lenses.

Cons:
-Ship from Hong Kong, so order well in advance. Customs fees may also apply.
-Not available in toric.

Rating: A good buy, I think. Depending on what color I'm after, I may try these again in the future.

Last edited by coyoterose : 12-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Unread 09-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
LadyoftheThread
stitcher of fantasies

Finally got pics of my new contacts several days ago so here are a couple more reviews. Both of these pairs were purchased from Cosplay Lab.

Gothika: Black Wolf

Pros:
-opaque and shows even on my nearly black eyes
-more natural looking than some of the other yellow theatrical lenses available
-available in prescription

Cons:
-only supposed to be worn for a few hours at a time
-pupil opening is smaller than all the other color contacts I have so my vision is a little hazy with these (the design includes a ring of black around the pupil so the opening is actually a bit smaller than it appears)
-not available in toric

Rating: Great!

ColorMax: Violet

Pros:
- shows decently on my dark eyes although it can still be hard to see the color from a distance
-available in prescription
-pupil opening is very wide so there’s no problem with the colored areas sliding over my pupil and making my vision blurry
-inexpensive

Cons:
- only supposed to be worn for a few hours at a time
-not available in toric
-the large pupil opening can make pupils look very dilated if you have very dark eyes

Rating: Great! I’d have just bought these pairs of lenses in the first place if I’d known how little the color contacts I reviewed before would show on my eyes.

Flash really made the lenses pop out. I have the Black Wolf style in my right eye and the Violet Max in my left.

Here’s an indoor picture without flash. The pic was somewhat dark since the lighting wasn’t that bright but the lenses still show and can still be seen a bit even when closeups are sized down for posting.

Next conventions: Anime Boston 2011, Costume Con 29
LadyoftheThread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Gothika Banshee Fire

Purchased from: www.1-save-on-lens.com

Pros:
-Fairly comfortable, despite the base curve asnd diameter being off from my own.
-Fairly cheap for prescription special effects lenses.
-Color is intense even on dark eyes.

Cons:
-Slit pupils spin some since lenses are not prism balanced.
-They are supposedly 3 month wear lenses, though I suspect they will keep longer with occasional wear.
-Only for wear for several hours at a time since they are somewhat thicker than non special effects colored lenses.

Rating: good!

With flash

In natural lighting without flash

My natural eye color.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 01:58 AM   #12
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Bausch & Lomb Soflens Natural Colors
Unless you can read German, the best place to get them is VisionDirect.uk.co

In my experience, this is the best contact lens for people with an 8.7 base curve unless you're going for blue ('Cause the Acuvue blue looks amazing)

This is my review for the color Platinum (grey)

Pros:
-Amazing color. I have dark eyes and I was so happy that these stood out in most lighting
-Thin lens was easier to put in than my normal contacts!
-Minimum of sliding
-Cost ($31 shipped for the pair )
-Tiny pupil hole so none of your normal color shows through
-Lots of colors! (I wanna try the purple or light green next...)
-8.7 base curve!!! *happy*

Cons:
-Since the pupil hole is small, you get a halo of color around your vision (it made my eyes water for 5 mins.) You get used to it though. Natural light and dark light are fine, darker artificial light not so much.
-3 week shipping (Ouch)

These were all taken indoors, at night, with flash. My eyes are actually a bit darker than in the picture

Rating: A (I like the A-F scale X3) Definately would purchase again!

~Ari-chan
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

Looking for a good violet colored lens, I was going to try coyoterose's reviewed Comfort Colors, but I couldn't get the site www.comfortlenses.com to work - clicking any link led to an error page (trying it now, the site is nonexistent rather than broken, so that may have been why ^_^;; )

So I ordered a pair of the Bausch & Lomb SofLens in violet - availability in 8.7 base curve is my friend! Same store as above poster, visiondirect.co.uk, though I thought the shipping was darn good. Order placed on the 23rd, out-of-stock notification on the 26th, dispatch confirmation on the 28th and they just arrived in the mail today, the 4th - that's just a week and a half.

The price is good, too - I got 2 pairs (paranoia that something would happen to one before the con, and besides, if they looked good I'd be using them at cons spaced pretty far apart so I didn't want to stretch the safety of month-wear lenses) and total with shipping was $59 USD.

They seem thinner than my regular contacts (Acuvue Advance), and very comfortable. The color looks good, the yellowish bulb light in my room in the middle picture makes it look muddier than it is, but the other two (outdoors, indoors with flash) are quite accurate. From a conversational distance, you can easily tell that it's a light color, though depending on lighting it tends to range in appearance from the actual violet to a soft grey.

Previous poster noted a color haze from the edges of the pupil hole, but I haven't really had that much problem with it so far. Since it's a pale color it's not a easily discernable "OMG MY VISION IS TURNING BLUE" like with the blue Freshlooks I've worn, feels more like peripheral vision blur. I haven't worn them long enough today to see how comfortable they are after a long day of congoing, but they seem good so far.

Like most contacts except the really bright & bizarre ones, it probably won't show up that well in a full-sized photo as being more than 'light-colored eyes', but I like to complete the look when talking to people up close in person, so I know the extra touch will likely be noticed and appreciated

Overall impression: worth the money I spent. Not the MOST perfectly vivid violet out there, but a good purchase
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #14
coyoterose

Apparently, the company let their hold on that domain expire. They're still out there at http://comfortlenses.c47inc.com/ instead.

Unread 12-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

Clicking any link on that page still gives me a 404 error, though. And I've tried it a few times over the past few weeks, on different computers and different internet connections with the same result - ah well, if you can connect to them for your contact needs, more power to ya