Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
CookieCakes

Unhappy Water and contact lenses?

Hello everyone!

I wear contact lenses whenever possible. But there is something stopping from using them daily and specially at cons when cosplaying since i very often forget to take my glasses off.

WATER......

Since i heard that you can loose your vision if water gets into your eyes when wearing contact lenses i have been very afraid to use them..

Specially if its gonna rain,i get scared. I can only see from one eye and my prescription is very high (+16).

Is it all in my head? I mean if water splashes into my eye or raindrops fall in it...are there any risks?

Or the problem only comes from swimming and showering?...

Help :C I want to be able to use mine at cons and daily without this ridiculous fear.
CookieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Killerangel666
You have Cheetohs?

It's true and it isn't. You get some water in your eyes or you start crying heavily all the extra moisture tends to make contacts float for lack of a better word. However, just blink a couple times or keep your eyes shut for a few seconds while you wipe the water away and your contacts fall back into place. The only time I've had mine fall out was when I wore them to the beach, too much water from smacking waves lol. But other than that, despite pouring rain and getting sprayed while washing my car, they stay in my eyes.

Hope that helps
Killerangel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

The problem is basically only a problem for water with things your eyes/contacts don't like, in it- chlorine like in pools, dirt and bacteria for things like lake water (if I ever go swimming in a lake/beach I use one-use lenses that I can throw away to avoid getting bacteria hard to clean off growing on my lenses), or runoff of your shampoo when showering. Rain will not do ANYTHING to you. If you get a big splash of water in your face it CAN dislodge a contact lens (it happened to me once from a waterslide), but just shutting your eye a few moments will often get it back in place.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 02-02-2015 at 09:17 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
Ink
We're all mad here!

You shouldn't shower with contact lenses since this may damage the lenses (not your eyes), and the only reason you would damage your eye (to my knowledge) would be if there's something dangerous in the water.

Are you using soft or hard lenses? Hard lenses are easier to lose, especially in water, but they're super durable so as long as you can find it it shouldn't be a problem.

I've worn contacts everyday for over 10 years, and I've never had a problem in rain. As said above, if you do get some rain in there, just blink and adjust if necessary. If it hurts or stings, take the lenses out, get some eyedrops, use some contact lense solution (I always carry some with me in my bag) to rub the lenses clean and re-insert.

If you're going in a pool, I'd suggest swimming goggles
And the mome raths outgrabe."
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
CookieCakes

I use soft lenses. My problem is not that they can fall off but bacteria in water. i have heard that if water gets into your eyes you can get an infection that leads to blindness.

I don't swim or shower with them. The only time i significantly deal with water is if i'm bathing the dogs and i never use the lenses if i am going to.

So my fears are just in my head lol?

Last edited by CookieCakes : 02-08-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Unread 02-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Ion
イオン

While I cannot speak for your area, most public water systems here have treatment plants that eliminate the bacteria that would be cause for public health concern. Freshwater or ocean water would be the ones you would want to be more cautious of.

Where I live, we have acid rain, which in and of itself is concerning, but it is not like I stare up at the sky while it rains. I keep my head downward if I do not have an umbrella, and have not gotten rainwater in my eyes. Truthfully, I find it much more annoying to have raindrops collecting on my glasses lenses. Aside from a convention at a waterpark, I cannot think of a single situation where someone would be splashing water into your face either so conventions should be pretty low-risk areas to wear your contact lenses.

Eye infections caused by lenses are typically due to human error and irresponsibility. If you follow protocols set out by your optometrist, your risk is greatly diminished. The people who get infections are typically the ones who skipped the appointment with an optometrist, are wearing lenses that do not fit, are old and breaking down, or are damaged, did not take care of their contact lenses, or ignored warning signs like eye redness, stinging/stabbing pain. Or someone like that girl who wore her lenses for 6 months straight (gross). That said, most problems do not lead to immediate blindness. Blindness typically occurs when people IGNORE problems and do not seek medical attention until it becomes a huge problem.

It is good to be cautious and proactive when it comes to your health and well-being but if your optometrist has told you that you can safely wear your soft lenses daily, then you can do so. I would recommend calling them and talking to them about your concerns if you are still nervous or are not convinced.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
CookieCakes

My optometrist told me there is no big risk and that i should not be afraid.

Thanks for all your advice guys. i do feel much,much better now hearing your experiences.

Woah. Acid rains sounds nasty!

A friend mentioned that there is no risk if things get into your eyes because blinking would get them out or you can always take them out yourself as long as you don't panic.