Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Piriie

Face paint

I'm cosplaying Undyne from Undertale at Anime Expo this summer so I will have to paint my face and neck blue. I've never used body paint before and I know just how hot it can get here in the summer. I got Ben Nye paint. I'm pretty worried that I'll sweat it off, should I be? Any tips for preventing that?
Piriie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

I can help!

Ben Nye is a cream based makeup unless you got the Aquacolors. Ben Nye is a theatrical product, so it's meant to be worn for long periods under hot stage lights. Actors sweat a lot!

In order to prevent sweating anything off, or transfer, you would apply the makeup, then, using a flat powder puff, lightly pat your face with setting powder, which should be available from any dealer who sells Ben Nye (setting powder is in the Ben Nye line). You let the powder sit for a few minutes, as it absorbs the oils in the makeup and sets it.

Take a large kabuki powder brush and light dust all the powder off, then spritz a product called Final Seal over the makeup, which will seal it.

Ta da! Set makeup, no transfer, no sweating it off. It's how we did it in the theatre.

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Neo Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon (Planned)
Leliana (Winter Palace) - Dragon Age (Planned)

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Star Wars (Planned)
Warden King Alistair - Dragon Age (10%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
ebanks90

Hey! So Ben Nye has grease paint and water-based paint. Grease paint tends to smudge and run when it gets hot, even if you set it. The paint is very thick, and therefore when it is on your skin, it causes your body to produce more natural sweat and oils.

For long wear paint that is comfortable on your skin and looks awesome, I would recommend water- based paint. To make it last all day without any problems, use final seal spray on your skin before and after you put the paint on. Here is a really easy tutorial on how to cover your whole body in paint, set it with spray, and it comes out really even looking- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_WrOkUdc

For Undyne, I would use the FAB Magic Blue water based paint from fxcosplay.com- they also sell final seal and a kabuki brush The paint is extremely affordable, has amazing color, and comes off easily with soap and water or makeup remover. Here is a picture of someone using the paint for their Undyne cosplay- https://www.facebook.com/fxandcospla...type=3&theater

Hope this helps and good luck! Im sure it will turn out awesome
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebanks90 View Post
Hey! So Ben Nye has grease paint and water-based paint. Grease paint tends to smudge and run when it gets hot, even if you set it. The paint is very thick, and therefore when it is on your skin, it causes your body to produce more natural sweat and oils.

For long wear paint that is comfortable on your skin and looks awesome, I would recommend water- based paint. To make it last all day without any problems, use final seal spray on your skin before and after you put the paint on. Here is a really easy tutorial on how to cover your whole body in paint, set it with spray, and it comes out really even looking- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_WrOkUdc

For Undyne, I would use the FAB Magic Blue water based paint from fxcosplay.com- they also sell final seal and a kabuki brush The paint is extremely affordable, has amazing color, and comes off easily with soap and water or makeup remover. Here is a picture of someone using the paint for their Undyne cosplay- https://www.facebook.com/fxandcospla...type=3&theater

Hope this helps and good luck! Im sure it will turn out awesome
Seconding this! I prefer water based paints myself for large areas of coverage because of the comfort. You can also get Alcohol based paints, but they are more expensive!

My favorite water based paints is Paradise Makeup AQ or Kryolan Aquacolors, which I've used in some stage productions, and in cosplay.

Paradise is a Mehron product, a cake makeup that turns to cream with a bit of water, and comes in a variety of great colors. As the person above me said, set and seal them!!

http://www.mehron.com/Paradise_Makeu...onal_p/800.htm

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Neo Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon (Planned)
Leliana (Winter Palace) - Dragon Age (Planned)

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Star Wars (Planned)
Warden King Alistair - Dragon Age (10%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Piriie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
I can help!

Ben Nye is a cream based makeup unless you got the Aquacolors. Ben Nye is a theatrical product, so it's meant to be worn for long periods under hot stage lights. Actors sweat a lot!

In order to prevent sweating anything off, or transfer, you would apply the makeup, then, using a flat powder puff, lightly pat your face with setting powder, which should be available from any dealer who sells Ben Nye (setting powder is in the Ben Nye line). You let the powder sit for a few minutes, as it absorbs the oils in the makeup and sets it.

Take a large kabuki powder brush and light dust all the powder off, then spritz a product called Final Seal over the makeup, which will seal it.

Ta da! Set makeup, no transfer, no sweating it off. It's how we did it in the theatre.
Thanks so much!
Unread 05-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Piriie

Thank you both for the advice! I think I'll have to do some tests with different types of paint.