Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 07-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
animerina
Cosplayer

Snazaroo vs Ben Nye

I'm very new to cosplay. Does anyone have an opinion or preference between the two?
animerina is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

snazaroo is usually a lower quality just because it isn't as big of a makeup company as ben nye. ben nye is used in studios. but it depends on what you want for your price and the type of makeup you are going to use
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
mertlez

Snazaroo is focused on face painting. Ben Nye offers not only facepaints (Magicake line), but a variety of other makeups as well, from special effects to beauty to hi def.

Snazaroo is manufactured in the UK. Ben Nye is manufactured in the US. Snazaroo presents itself as a product for facepainting kids. Ben Nye is a full theatrical makeup line, originated by Ben Nye, Sr., who worked for many years in Hollywood as a makeup artist on films like The King & I, The Seven Year Itch, etc.

Can you achieve a good effect with Snazaroo makeup? Quite possibly. Ben Nye offers a more complete makeup line, however. It really depends on your application and what you're trying to achieve.
mertlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Sweet Loretta

For cosplay neither Snazaroo (face paints) or Ben Nye (theater makeup) would be my choice.
Most cosplayers are really looking at face and body painting and special effects for which several rival brands offer more choices.

Look at Kryolan, Wolfe, Mehron and Graftobian.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Khorrupt

Agreeing with Loretta in that I would definitely prefer Mehron over Ben Nye or Snazaroo BUT in the event that you're set on getting one of the two, I suppose I would go with Ben Nye. That being said, I feel like it takes a little extra practice to get the hang of the products. Once you figure them out, they work great, but they're kind of fussy in my opinion. Snazaroo is easier to apply (and preferred by Homestuck cosplayers, so I have heard), but you have to really set it very meticulously to get any wear out of it.

The question I would ask if you were picking body paint is, what character do you need it for? Some products work great for certain things, and some don't -- maybe you need a specific colour, or will be in specific conditions while wearing it (i.e. heat, humidity, snow, etc.), or it may even depend on where you're putting it -- I've found that the aforementioned Ben Nye magicake works great on the face, but on the arms, I've not had such luck.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros.) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Sweet Loretta

Good point - what look do you want to create. That alone most often helps people choice the correct or best product.

In re to Ben Nye Magic Cakes Mehron Starblend is comparable. In fact Mehron cakes are larger and less expensive.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Lustyyxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertlez View Post

Can you achieve a good effect with Snazaroo makeup? Quite possibly. Ben Nye offers a more complete makeup line, however. It really depends on your application and what you're trying to achieve.
I've used a lot of Snazaroo over the years, because it's cheaper and much more accessible where I live. I find that if you use the right tools, the end product looks nice and isn't as thick as a lot of the Ben Nye stuff. My advice is to stay away from the BROWN face paint as it looks vile, but their lighter colors tend to work well.

And then I really advise a Mehron setting powder.

In Progress cosplays: Jinx (LoL) - 0%, Heartseeker Ashe (LoL) - Pattern Made.

I take cosplay commissions :3
Lustyyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
twin_Armageddon
Geminicious

Snazaroo is not just a product for painting kids faces, it's for painting faces in general. It is a PROFFESSIONAL face-painting brand. It is meant for those hot summer festivals and is BUILT to withstand sweat and long hours of walking about, while being easily washed off at the end of the day.

Personally, I love Snazaroo. It's MUCH cheaper than Ben Nye, and you get a TON of it. (one cake lasts forever, and is only about 8 bucks) It goes on smooth and if you seal it with Ben Nye Final Seal (not the powder, or else it'll flake!) It'll stay ON ALL DAY!! I'm serious.
PLUS! Snazaroo is water based, so it doesn't stain! It washes out of clothes COMPLETELY, while Ben Nye always leaves a light smudge even after washing (unless treated immediately)

In my experience, it works fine on the arms, but if your character is full-body (like most homestuck trolls) I'd suggest making some arm socks. This way you don't have to worry about painting your arms, and can just focus on your face!
Experience: Sollux from Homestuck, helping a friend with Amethyst from Steven Universe
Good luck!
twin_Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote