Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 08-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Metalfever
MetalFever

Question Ursula Cosplay HELP!

So I'm cosplaying as Ursula from The Little Mermaid, for NYC Comic Con and need help! I have the costume figured out and most of the makeup as well. What I can't seem to figure out is the best way to make my skin purple! I want to try and do it without having to purchase an airbrush machine because I have never used one nor do I know anyone who has that can teach me, but also they can be quite pricey. If anyone can help me out and give some suggestions as to which brand of makeup to use or what kind, it would be SOO helpful and awesome!
Metalfever is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
mertlez

The advantage of using an airbrush is it's easier to apply an even layer of makeup without streaking. But you can still use airbrush makeups and apply them with a sponge...just the technique might take a bit more trial and error before you achieve an even application.

Ben Nye MagiColor Liquid Paint has both a Purple and a Royal Violet which could be used for Ursula, but it's a water-based makeup that might not hold up well to sweat and humidity, if that's a concern. Graftobian F/X Aire comes in a purple color, and it's alcohol-based makeup (which means it holds up much better in wet and damp conditions). But the alcohol-based makeup is a little bit pricier.
mertlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Metalfever
MetalFever

I definitely see what you mean. How the makeup will hold is a great concern of mine as well. So, if I decide to purchase an airbrush machine which would you recommend? Also, I can apply airbrush makeup with just a sponge?! I had no idea! Lol thank you so much for answering my post! Oh! Also if I use the airbrush makeup as a base I can still use regular eye makeup right?
Unread 08-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
mertlez

For an airbrush, I would recommend purchasing a Badger Vega 2000, which has a fine tip and good control. You can purchase them online for under $100. You'll also need a compressor for the airbrush.

You should be able to apply eye makeup in addition to airbrush makeup just fine. I wouldn't recommend airbrushing too close to the eyes, regardless, just as a safety issue. You may want to set the makeup first (powder + sealer) between makeup layers.
Unread 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
TheKrack

I had to do a lot of makeup work for a cosplay too. This method takes a while but I didn't use an airbrush!
I purchased the Ben Nye MagiCakes Aqua Paint as well as Ben Nye Final Seal
Mix the Final Seal into the MagiCake instead of water and brush or sponge on. I sponged to cover lots of area and quickly went along and touched it up with a brush. Wait for the first coat to dry then apply a second. Be careful about not putting too much in one area, you just risks of splotching.
then once that's dry spray a light layer of the final seal on top.
It won't rub off and stays on and looks great!
I would test a bit on your arm first though so your satisfied with it and make sure you don't react. As well as see if you want to brush or sponge.

Hope this helps!!

Currently Working On:
Hex (Skylanders) 60%
Punk Sailor Moon
Cheetara 85%
TheKrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
mertlez

Also, when you sponge it on, you'll get more even coverage if you use a stippling motion.
Unread 08-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Sweet Loretta

Airbrush of course is great but not on option for everyone.
If I were airbrushing I def would not use Ben Nye. It is really not the best airbrush makeup.
Try ProAiir Hybrid, or yes, the Graftobian.

Body paint without airbrush can be done easy and will have staying power. Choose a good makeup Paradise, Graftobian has the new ProPaint. A fixing spray over, even under will provide for all day play. Sponges work like the Paradise Sponge but application with something like this blending brush will make it easy and provide a nice even base. http://www.thepaintednavel.com/Body-...p/ex-br-rb.htm

Even the magic cakes or Mehron Starblend provide good body coverage without airbrush. And they work great with that blending brush.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
twin_Armageddon
Geminicious

When I helped my friend with her Amethyst cosplay, I found the exact color your's talking about! OvO
It's Snazaroo Lilac and it's great for long, all-day cons (as long as you seal with Ben Nye Final Seal, of course) It's super easy to apply, is water-based so it doesn't stain clothes, and is SUPER cheap (8 dollars for a huge cake of the stuff!) It goes on a little red at first, but with a couple of layers will make it a much smoother, creamier color. Adding a little Snazaroo Light Grey to the mix really makes it the perfect color though, if you're willing to get it. (I think it's worth it) Also, making arm socks might really help you, if you're willing to put in the time! That way you don't have to worry about your arms, just your face!
Experience: Sollux from Homestuck, helping my friend with her Amethyst from Steven Universe.
twin_Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote