Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
EastCoastKing

Horror Movies

I saw Rob Zombie's Halloween last night. Honestly, I was pretty let down by the movie. However, they did do a pretty kick ass job of making Michael Myers into an evil, relentless mother, instead of the more tame and watered down version seen in the last few flicks.
This got me thinking, there are some awesome horror characters out there. Having attended a couple of horror cons, its always fun to see some people break out a good horror cosplay. Of course there are the traditional ones like Leatherface, Freddy, Jason Vorhees, and others. I've also recently seem Samara from The Ring and Kayako from The Grudge. And I admit, I am a big enough fan of Bruce Campbell that I have long wanted to make a costume of Ash from Evil Dead. I've secretly dreamed of taking pictures as Ash, posing alongside Darkstalkers cosplayers for years.
With Halloween coming up, I hope some of my fellow cosplayers get their horror adrenaline rushing. Lets have an old fashioned fright fest!

Unread 09-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Drackt
Loves guyliner. Too much.

I did do Suzanne LeGroux/The Bound Woman from "Thir13en Ghosts" one Halloween-
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=554044
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=554043

Though I don't think I'd put the Sommersverse in this category...it IS horror, but this is more non-traditional.

Completed cosplays (from last fall to now)-
Rumpelstiltskin-Red/Black outfit...always in progress (Once Upon A Time)
Rumpelstiltskin-Alchemist outfit (Once Upon A Time)
Rapunzel

In Progress-
Cinderella
Vampire Girl (Original)

Planned-
Too much, but I've had to put it on hold due to reasons beyond my control. However, I'm attempting to recreate Leezar's wardrobe from "Your Highness"...one down, four to go.
Drackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Space Lion
THE DESTROYER

Allow me to rant for a minute...

I've done some horror stuff (nothing uploaded here yet), but I think most people just kind of overlook horror-oriented costumes for a couple of reasons:

1) I think a lot of people think it's not enough of a challenge to "just" be some gorey/bloody/gooey/scary costume, and...

2) A lot of horror costumes end up being just that... or at least, that's all people do with them. They get some old clothes, a hockey mask, and all of a sudden they're supposed to be Jason, when they're really just some guy in old clothes and a hockey mask. What I mean is, for whatever reason, it seems like with horror costumes especially, the discrepancy between the actual character and the person's costume of that character is consistently very large. Hardcore cosplayers usually chose a more complex and difficult costume (nevermind sticking to anime and video games most of the time), and hardcore horror fans seem to have lower standards for accuracy. This is just a trend I've noticed, and I'm not digging on anyone, I'm just sayin'. The quality just isn't there.

Perfect example:
This is bad picture of me as Samara. Now, this isn't an ego thing, but I'm the only Samara I've seen in however many years since The Ring came out that actually had makeup on the arms and legs. SURELY someone out there can do a better version than I did, but you don't see them. Why? I don't know. What you do see are people with a black wig and a white dress. Now, you can argue that they're doing the Sadako version or w/e, but my point is, I spent at least a week just on weathering the dress to make it look like the movie version (there's a lot you can't see in that terrible pic). It wasn't expensive, it wasn't hard, and I probably could've done the same amount of work in 2 days if I was pressed for time. People just don't put in the effort, from what I've seen.

Horror is kind of hit-or-miss anyway, meaning people either seem to love it or hate it, but I really think if people put more into their costumes, it'd be easier to bridge the gap and make horror costumes a more accepted genre in the cosplay world. After all, a well-made costume is a well-made costume, regardless of what or who it is. Show me a Freddy Krueger that doesn't look like some guy with strawberry jelly on his face and a handful of screwdrivers, and I guarantee you more people will take horror costumes seriously.

</rant>
Space Lion is offline   Reply With Quote