Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 03-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Fong
Quarter-circle, punch!

Knitting Tutorial?

I ran a search and there were plenty of threads, but no how-to's =/

I tried looking at youtube and step-by-step instructions but they're SO hard to make out! I don't know, maybe I'm a doofus but I've tried and I absolutely have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if it's because I'm not casting on properly, or if I just don't know how to knit a knit stitch, maybe I'm not even doing the slipknot properly--I haven't even gotten to the point where I can cast off O_o so no idea how to do that, either.

Does anyone here want to show a ton of kindness and, like, show me (and anyone else who wants to knit something--in my case Rikku's scarf) really good images of how to do this, with the most simple method possible?

My Youtube Channel!

~*~ Katsucon 2013 Line-Up ~*~

~*~ Naoto Shirogane from Persona 4 ~*~
~*~Elizabeth from Persona 3 ~*~
~*~ Winter/Femme Fatale Cammy White from SF4 ~*~

~*~ Zenkaikon 2013 Line-Up ~*~

~*~ Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club ~*~
~*~ Shura Kirigakure from Ai No Exorcist ~*~
Fong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

*double post

www.firelilycosplay.com

Last edited by Fire Lily : 03-20-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

Try these tutorials: http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3
http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/ (start with "Before you start...")

Both of these have big clear pictures and easy to understand instructions. Just make sure you play around a lot first to help you get the hang of things. Once you are confident in knitting, then start on the scarf. You may want to do a few practice pieces first (pot holders, placemats, bookmarks, random knit things, etc) to familiarize yourself with everything.

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Jazhara7
Loony Empress of Terra

I think this one looks good (you have to select the different points of the tutorial in the list to the left.).

It also has instructions on what I find is the hardest part of knitting: Starting. I am so lucky and have a mother who can knit (a few years ago she went manic and knitted tons of socks for us. They're lovely in the winter. She's calmed down with the socks knitting since then, but will still knit new ones if asked to.), so when I decided I want to give my sister a Doctor Who scarf (as worn as Tom Baker as Doctor Who, namely the fourth incarnation of the Doctor.) for Christmas, I knew who to ask. She actually did the start for me, so I couldn't explain it, but that tutorial made sense to me, and *it has pictures* (with one huge knitting needle, so it's easier to see). The knitting itself is pretty easy once you got the hang of it, which happens pretty fast.

The tutorial I linked to has different techniques and types, and tells you what they are used for too, so it shouldn't be too confusing.

I hope this will be of help to you.
Unread 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
ladylada
Stark Raving Sane

There are at least three different ways to knit correctly, and what works for one person may make no sense to someone else. From what I've found, the English method (where you hold the yarn in your right hand) seems to be the most prevalent one, but it's the slowest and the hardest one for me to understand. For me, Continental (yarn in your left hand) is somewhere in-between, and Combination (very similar to Continental, except you use the needle to pick up the yarn rather than wrapping it around the needle) is the easiest. Those who learn English knitting first usually have a hard time with Combination and/or Continental. I'd try each of them out and go with the one you like best.

Links: Knitting Help.com has very clear video tutorials. I learned how to knit using this site, and heartily recommend it. They have instructions for both English and Continental methods. For Combination knitting, go to Annie Modesitt's site. She also has very clear video (and written) instructions--and if all else fails, you can purchase knitting flipbooks off of her site!

Good luck! ^^
ladylada is offline   Reply With Quote