Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
feytaline

Spirit gum issues?

Is it possible to be allergic to spirit gum?

The last three times I've worn my elf ears, I've ended up with itchy ears while they're on, and dry, rashy ears when I take them off. I don't know why, if it's the spirit gum or the ears themselves. They are latex, but I've worn latex before without issues. Of course, I've never heard anyone complain about spirit gum causing issues before, so...

If anyone has any alternatives, I'd be really happy to hear them!

Unread 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Yes. It is. It is also possible to become sensitized, so even if you used it initially with no problem you may still have developed an allergic reaction. Of course it is also possible that you've become sensitized to latex. You can try testing by just putting a little spirit gum on the inside of your elbow (or on your ear, but that would probably be less convenient!) and seeing if you develop a rash.

Last edited by The Hag : 09-10-2007 at 08:10 PM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
vampirate

Hrm, I'd try and figure out if you've developed an allergy to latex. If it's the spirit gum you can always just use another adhesive. Some people seem to like prosaid. And for little ears eyelash glue might even work.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

eyelash glue is (generally) latex based, so if you decide to use it, then it will potentially stick on to the prosthetic and build up a bit more each time you reapply the effect.

It's certainly possible to be allergic to either the spirit gum, or the latex. Test each on the underside of the arm, and whatever causes irritation you should stop using immediately.

There are synthetic spirit gums that could possibly have a lower chance of an allergic reaction. The synthetics are generally water clear, while the real stuff is amber colored (which makes sense since it's processed tree sap anyway).

Prosaide is totally overkill for something as simple as ears, but I use it anyway, it's much less annoying to me than spirit gum. Removal takes longer, but I'm never pressed for time in removal personally.
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
feytaline

Thank you very much guys. Two questions.

Where do I get alternatives (like Prosaide, synthetic gums)? What brands should I be looking for, and where?

How do I test for a latex allergy? it's not like I can grind up my ears and rub them on my arms. Lol. The spirit gum shouldn't be hard to test for, though...

Thank you again so much for your help!
Unread 09-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

You ought to be able to dab a bit of liquid latex on a patch of skin and see if there's a reaction. That requires you going out and buying some, though, if you don't already have liquid latex.

I do all my makeup shopping online, so here are some places to start you off:
Special Effects Supply
FX Warehouse, Inc

Both have extensive catalogs. Another option for you might be medical adhesive. It's overkill like Prosaide and thus would require extra product and time to remove, but it's designed for sensitive skin. I wanted a stronger, more reliable alternative to Spirit Gum for the Phantom prosthetics, so I went with the Kryolan medical adhesve. I found that on the SES site.
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

Apologies for the zombie thread, but this is relevant because I had spirit gum stubble on my face a couple days ago, and I'm still itchy. Any ideas of which stuff would work best for gluing on chopped up bits of wig fiber?
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote