Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

oh yeah! I can't wait to tackle that wig when it gets here lol woo that'll be fun....yeah I don't know how to make it light weight...any suggestions??

I finished the whole belt skirt thing, with the exception of a few details:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1267165

It's 4am so the picture quality isn't the best...I'll probably take another one when all the details are finished.

Nother question, does anyone know how the swords come apart? I asked my dad if he would help me with this/these sword(s) but we can't really see how they come apart into 2 (?) I have a few pictures, but it's not enough...any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by Xavietta : 09-20-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #17
Super Tsuki
月の猫

Quote:
Nother question, does anyone know how the swords come apart? I asked my dad if he would help me with this/these sword(s) but we can't really see how they come apart into 2 (?) I have a few pictures, but it's not enough...any help would be much appreciated
I always thought that it just was magic lol.

That would be really cool though if you could figure it out~!

I'll see if i can find anything in the game for you.

FYI your belt looks amazing! <3
And many possibles!

deviantART
Super Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #18
lacaena
NewType

Heh I'm doing Nariko for Halloween then reusing it for a couple of Con's next year. I kinda lucked out about the wig, I'm a red head so I just am letting my hair grow out, it should be fairly long before the first con next year (March) and if anyone asks at Halloween I'm just going to say that I can't dodge *every* attack perfectly.
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #19
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Tsuki Neko: Thanks ^^ and thanks for looking for info on the swords...since I haven't played the game yet I have no idea how they work xD

Laceana: Lucky! I have very short green hair at the moment so I'm stuck with having to use a wig. Are you going to post progress pictures of your Nariko? I hope so, I love progress pictures

Also does anyone have any good pictures of Kai, the only thing I found was a video on ign.com...I'm trying to get my friend to cosplay her for our first convention xD
Unread 09-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #20
lacaena
NewType

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
Tsuki Neko: Thanks ^^ and thanks for looking for info on the swords...since I haven't played the game yet I have no idea how they work xD

Laceana: Lucky! I have very short green hair at the moment so I'm stuck with having to use a wig. Are you going to post progress pictures of your Nariko? I hope so, I love progress pictures

Also does anyone have any good pictures of Kai, the only thing I found was a video on ign.com...I'm trying to get my friend to cosplay her for our first convention xD
I'm playing the game, but I haven't got to the point where I can take the sword apart, but a friend of mine already beat it so I'll ask and see if they can give me an explanation that may help... I'm just making mine as one piece because I don't want more to carry around at a Con, besides it'll be heavy enough after all the bondo goes on...
Yea I'll post progress pics, right now its just fabric in a bag as I've been working on my fiancée's Halloween costume (Kurodo Akabane of Get Backers, yay for trench coats!) Nevermind that I'm picky and couldn't find any fabric with the right pattern so I'm painting a pattern on her 'kimono'.
And I have some pics of Kai, their was an article on Heavenly Sword in the September issue of Play magazine, they have some pics on their website here (scroll down about halfway to find the java link), but if you need more I can scan the actual article and e-mail it.
Edit: oh first con?! Awesome! you'll have a great time!
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:53 AM   #21
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Ooh that link had a couple really good pix! but unfortunately only one of Kai...if you have any that show different angles of the costume that would be great my email is SilverRocket88@aol.com

You're painting on the fabric design?? that's brave xD I can't draw to save my life and I couldn't find any fabric/stencils/iron on heat transfers that would work for the dragons on the kimono top, so I have to forfeit that and just use the swirl design all over

and yes it's my first con when I told my friend I was cosplaying Nariko he said "if you get it done in time you are definitely cosplaying at the convention!!" I'm excited

Edit: I got some progress done on my kimono top:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1267986

The fabric isn't quite that shiny in person though lol

Also I took a screen shot of the official website when I noticed the runes from the sword scrolling at the bottom...I changed the shadows a little so it'd be easier to see and this is what I got:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...swordrunes.jpg

Just in case anyone needs it for their swords

Last edited by Xavietta : 09-20-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #22
Melima331
Chaotic Neutral

Hey everyone! I hope to cosplay Nariko as well (I hope to have it done by Ohayocon). This will be the first cosplay I am going to make with an extensive wig, but I am excited. I am also making it a little more conservative with the wrap on the bottom (I am probably going to wear cheerleader "spankies" underneath). I think it would be so fun to cosplay Kai because her personality is so unique. I may make that costume at some point, but I want to do Nariko first.

Cosplays: Nariko (Heavenly Sword), Rikku (FFX, Berserker, Black Mage, Samurai, Songstress, Detroit Red Wings, Dark Knight), Catwoman, Astrid (HTTYD), Sango (Inuyasha), Daenerys, Elsa (Frozen)

Possible planned cosplays:
Melima331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #23
lacaena
NewType

Quote:
You're painting on the fabric design?? that's brave xD I can't draw to save my life and I couldn't find any fabric/stencils/iron on heat transfers that would work for the dragons on the kimono top, so I have to forfeit that and just use the swirl design all over
Yea I'm painting it on, its just swirls from what it shows in the concept art, it should only take a few hours. And I'm just sketching a pattern on a piece of paper (bigger then notebook size) and then I'll just copy it over onto the fabric before I go over it in paint.
And what do you think in the original concept art, part of her outfit was a sage green but in actual game play its lavender.. I see your doing the purple I'm debating on which would be better/ more recognizable.
And I sent the pics as an attachment I think their are three or four of them.
Unread 09-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #24
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Melima331: hey you're going to youmacon! That's the one I'm going to, as Nariko and my friend is cosplaying Kai Maybe we'll see you there

Lacaena:Thanks for the pix! I have most of them but there's a full body shot of Kai which is what I needed And it depends on if you're going with the concept art version:
http://www.us.playstation.com/heaven...swordWP_1d.jpg

or the in-game version:
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/700/7...g_4744589.html

There are different details of each for example the head/arm bands and side belt are more detailed in the game version. And in the concept version the fabric pattern is just swirls whereas the game version there are dragons in some places...or you can just do which you like best xD I chose the lavendar because I'm going more towards the more detailed game version, but I won't have the dragon fabric... as for which will be more recognizable? I think either would work fine

Progress update: I bought the wig for my friend's Kai cosplay, so whenever that arrives (and my nariko one for that matter...) I'll start the styling process. I'm also altering Kai's outfit a little...my friend is not comfortable wearing a skirt that short and a shirt with open sides so we're making it a little more conservative xD more progress pix soon when I have something worth taking pictures of
Unread 09-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #25
lacaena
NewType

I was originally going to do the green but after playing some of the game I'm kinda at a loss on which I want (its totally my decision cause I have to dye fabric cause my local fabric store doesn't even have a purple satin in stock and the only green is the same *dark* hunter green I used for a dress one year) so I'm just kinda in debate. And is it just me or does that strip of fabric have a pattern on it also?
btw what are you using for the straps that go around your waist? I have some actual leather I'm planning on seeing what I can do I didn't know if anyone had come up with a better way.
I just started on the buckle/stomach guard last night I'll post pics when I get the chance.
Unread 09-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #26
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

the straps around the waist...you mean the belts? or around the kimono top? for the belt I put vinyl over craft foam (to give it some thickness) then the large side belt is craft foam and the designs on it are painted card stock. and for the straps around the kimono top is also vinyl...I hemmed it with a hot glue gun because I didn't want any stitching to show

The lavendar fabric I used is actually cotton quilting fabric. It's got sort of a splotchy pattern of 2 shades of purple, because you're right...I think there is some sort of pattern on it.

ooh real leather that should look nice
Unread 09-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #27
Adamoluna

YAY for Heavenly Sword cosplay! I absolutely LOVE that game. I'm a final-boss battle away from beating it, but I'm saving it for the right time
I was going to cosplay Noriko, but I'm not sure I'll be able to with the wig and all. If I get a hold of some good extenstions or a huge wig, then I might consider it.
Kai though, is allready in the making ^_^ *avatar*
I probably won't be able to present it before London Expo oct 08 though, so I'll postpone finishing it for a while. Please post pictures of your cosplays though, I would LOVE to see them!!!
Adamoluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #28
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

Wow, was wondering how long it would take before Heavenly Sword cosplays started popping up! I'll definitely be checking this thread out. Hopefully I'll be able to get a nice pic in my Solid Snake cosplay with a Nariko or Kai sometime in the future.

I'm kinda surprised though, I didn't think HS would be popular enough for cosplay since its a PS3 game, and PS3 is the devil (according to most otaku anyway ).
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #29
lacaena
NewType

Quote:
the straps around the waist...you mean the belts? or around the kimono top? for the belt I put vinyl over craft foam (to give it some thickness) then the large side belt is craft foam and the designs on it are painted card stock. and for the straps around the kimono top is also vinyl...I hemmed it with a hot glue gun because I didn't want any stitching to show

The lavendar fabric I used is actually cotton quilting fabric. It's got sort of a splotchy pattern of 2 shades of purple, because you're right...I think there is some sort of pattern on it.

ooh real leather that should look nice
Well I was talking about the straps that are right below her bust. I know when I was doing my ANBU costume last year I learned not to just wrap things around your legs cause you will spend a lot of your time just trying to keep them in place then eventually get irritated and rip them off. So I figure the same would hold true to anything that's just wrapped around you.

You used cotton, really? It doesn't look like cotton in the pics, mines all satin I wanted to use silk but it wouldn't hold its shape quite the way satin will.

And that was a good idea with the craft foam, I just lucked out and theirs a shoe repair store in town that also sells harness leather (I usually buy it to make bridles and leads for my horses) but I'm just going to buy a bigger gauge then normal for the belt, and for the buckle I'm using wonderflex (two or three pieces bonded I haven't decided how stiff I want it) then a combination of wonderflex scraps, 3d fabric paint and some regular spray paint to get it the right color, then I'm going to antique it hopefully I will get that done before Halloween, but it will definitely be done before the con.
Unread 09-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #30
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Pliskin: PS3 isn't the devil lol well I don't actually own one, but from what I hear it's not *too* bad lol damn expensive though xD

Adamoluna: I love your avatar ^^ I hope you post progress pix as well, I'm working on several things at once, so I'll have random progress pictures once in a while xD

Lacaena: yeah for the straps under the bust if you don't want them sliding all over the place it's a good idea to actually atatch them to the top some how
I have to say this all sounds so complex what you're doing xD I can't wait to see pictures because it sounds really cool. I'm not really into using real leather, it's too costly for one thing lol but I've worked with vinyl for years so it's a lot easier for me. And yeah I used cotton, I didn't want the whole costume to be too shiny

I talked with my dad about the sword (he helps with all my props ^^) and we figured out what to do about it separating, so I'll have some progress shots of that hopefully soon