Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 09-16-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
AXB

Squeaky Hammer Tutorial!

Ah ha ha ha. Yeah, I've been a member here for... like... what, two years? And I haven't had anything to contribute, so I've never posted at all. So yeah, this is my first post!

So, then... there are probably a lot of you who have had a hard time finding a squeaky hammer. Squeaky hammers are very useful in cosplay due to the large number of characters who carry them. As such, they're a great prop to have when dressing up as Amy from Sonic, Sana from Kodocha or Mii from Popotan.

If you're distraught over the difficulty in finding a giant noisemaking hammer to smack random people with, you're in luck! A few weeks ago, I wrote a tutorial on the subject over at WikiHow. Here you go!

Get started on constructing your very own giant squeaky hammer!

The reason I did this was because I've always wanted a squeaky hammer to smack people for my amusement. XD If you'd rather not go through the trouble of building your own, J-List has squeaky hammers for sale. The big red ones with yellow handles. However, making your own squeaky hammer leaves room to be creative. If you make your own, it can be as big or small as you want, and any color you want! For instance, I like my red squeaky hammer, but I'd rather have a three-foot one with yellow/green bellows, an orange hammerhead and a blue/violet handle. By making my own, it can look however I want.

Also, if you want to buy your own squeaky hammer but not from J-List, another option is using Rinkya to buy one with Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Rinkya lets you buy from sellers that won't ship out of Japan, for a fee... making your own might be a bit cheaper and more rewarding in the long run.

The tutorial calls for plastic bellows. Those might be hard to find in a store, but luckily I found an online supplier of bellows that can be made to any shape or size. If you wish, you can have them make the handle too, because though they specialize in bellows, they'll make basically any hollow plastic object you want. However, I recommend using a normal PVC pipe for the handle.

Click here to go to a site that supplies custom blow-molded plastic bellows!

PVC pipes, of course, can be purchased in various sizes online or at places like Home Depot. Enjoy!

I'm just angry because, being the broke guy I am, I can't buy the supplies to make my own. But such is life.
AXB is offline   Reply With Quote