Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Central

Unread 05-18-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
Troppy
That was... objectionable

ACEN Aftermath...

well, I'd like to take the honor of starting an ACen aftermath thread... after three years of ACen, I have to say, it just keeps getting better and better. The massive amount of cosplayers of the highest quality was astonishing, and the atmosphere was just keeping me at an emotional high the ENTIRE time. I'd like to thank everyone who came to the Para Para events I was a part of, and who complimented my Gunner and Summoner Yuna costumes ^_^ It was LOVELY meeting so many of you, *waves to Al, Ziggy, and old friends like Victoria Erica* and I can't wait until the next con we can have together.

I'll be posting pictures soon...but until then, fill this thread with memories ^_^
Troppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
Alisa
Spoony Bard Violinist

I just got back, and it was really fun and exciting to meet Cosplay.com people at Acen. What I found, which is really funny, is I would meet people who knew who the heck I was from Cosplay.com, and I have a tendency to connect people with their avatars so it felt weird actually meeting the person. I almost got some kind of awkward sort of high from posing for cosplay pictures. I feel kinda bad that I blinked in about 60% of them. I also bring up the topic, if you took pictures of me, could you please send me a copy? Thank you!!!! I am also really regretting that I didn't sign up to be in the masquerade.

Yeah, Acen 03' rocked my socks!!!

Last edited by Alisa : 05-18-2003 at 09:08 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
ashestoashes

WOW, this con was just off the wall in your face fun from friday mourning till sunday afternoon.this was my first cosplaying experience and after going and seeing everyone out and about in soem of the best costumes I've ever seen it definently made it all worthwhile!
ashestoashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 08:37 PM   #4
AngelSamui
Through dangers untold...

I had a GREAT time. It was a wonderful treat after my exam week. It's really amazing how big Acen has gotten. I remember it the first time I went 5 years ago. (Wow, that was a while ago. ^_^; ) The masquerade set up this year was so much better. I remember having to wait outside in a cold, wet tent about 3 years ago. But the staff was really great. I'm just sorry some cosplayers couldn't get a spot in the masquerade.
There were so many amazing cosplayers. It was an honor and a pleasure to meet and speak with quite a few people from cosplay.com. Another "hello" goes out to anyone I met or spoke to.
Anyway, I need to get cracking on loading my photos and starting a con report.
Unread 05-18-2003, 09:03 PM   #5
Shaft

Oi, my feet hurt. Wearing dress shoes for three days was like ouch. I dont see how girl wore high heels. However, Acen kicked ass as usual. For anyone that saw me, I was a guy in the black mask and trench coat. My character was from the jet li movie black mask. Or the show green hornet. I had a lot of fun meeting a lot of cosplay.com people. You all rocked harder than aerosmith. I was one of the top 10 for anime idol. I got some free dvds. That was pretty interesting. BUT, id have to say one of the most interesting aspects of acen was how pretty all the cosplay.com girls were. YOWZA! I enjoyed all of the odd crazyness going on. Like "what would you do for pocky". I saw two dude hump each other for some. I also saw someone lick someone elses arm. However, what was really great was the fact that arizona state was there for an event and a high school was having their prom there. I saw people giving a lot of the cosplayers looks of horror. They were like "what the hell have I stepped into?" It was hilarious. Anyways, I cant wait for the next anime con. Stay cool, guys and have a good one. Im gonna get some muched lacking sleep.

Last edited by Shaft : 05-18-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 09:13 PM   #6
Irvy
See you in Space..cowgal

It was a lot of fun but man..they need to move it to the convention center! It's getting way too big to be kept inside of the hotel anymore. The lobby was packed and the elevators were a nightmare. Plus a bunch of the shoots got canceled =/

But hey, the dealers room was great and there were a lot of awesome costumes out there. Plus the Masqeraude was a lot of fun to watch ^_^
Irvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
SoulCrash
Canon 7D w/ 17-55 580exII

Talking

I can't believe that's was you with Yoko Ishida (*sp), YOU WERE DOPE AS HELL! AND, I CAN'T YOU PULL IT OFF IN ONE REHEARSAL with Yoko! As soon I get my copy from staff, REMIND ME to give you one!.. But I beting it will take 6 months to get it back!....

One last thing, as a staffer/con-goer, I'm still disappointing on the con.. I'll explain later in my thread.
Unread 05-18-2003, 10:09 PM   #8
Saeru
What is life w/o meaning?

Acen was Very nice this year, I agree. ^_^

The size the con is becoming, though, seems to take away some of the personal effect of Acen, but, at the same time, its wonderful to have such a popular con so close to home! (well...close as in 4 and a half hour drive...but...well....thats not so bad, ne?)

I really agree that the cosplayers were completely incredible!!
To those of you I got to meet there, thankyou so much for taking the time to say hello, and I'm sorry that I'm so terrible with names. x-x

I'll be loading as many con pictures into my gallery as I can tonight.

Saeru
Saeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 10:39 PM   #9
pyro anarchy
fire fire fire!!!

Acen = fun fun fun ^^
It's been a pleasure meeting some
of you people from cosplay.com.
For those who saw me at the con, I was Dita from Chobits.
I had a wonderful time but I must say it was hard to keep in touch with some people because it was crowded.
Overall it was fun.
pyro anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2003, 11:51 PM   #10
TurtleJill
Riot Grrrl and Kandy Hate

It was fun. I had lots of fun holding my sign on Sat night.

"Wanted: 1 Girl, with pink or red hair for live action hentai cosplay"
I just got the best reactions with that.
TurtleJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 12:24 AM   #11
Natsume
Magic Pink Pony

'Twas very fun. ^_^

But Troppy, hey, I looked for you! hehe... I was wandering around with a "Looking for FLAVA members!!" sign on my back all Saturday... I figured I'd bump into you, but I never did. =[

Anyhow... Was a great con. I'm hoping next year to leave my little brother behind though, they were really annoying. x.x I must beat them. With illegal pocky. Mmm pocky.

TurtleJill, I was sad because I had blue hair. I wanted to ask if you'd let me do it anyhow, but with my blue hair I felt too unloved to even go talk to you. *sobs*

Note: Was 5th mix Emi. Was dying from all that fleece. My hat turned blue from my hair.
Natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 01:21 AM   #12
YoumaIru
<< >> ^ Hey! chu chu chu!

In response to the funniness of people's expressions... I must say, I heard there was a wedding reception in the hotel... I will just DIE if there is some odd CON in the same hotel as my wedding reception. I don't think cons should involve so many innocent bystanders...
And to further my cause (Yes, I will be the first mostly negative response here most likely) I think that Acen was horrifyingly obscene at times. The con rules call for attitudes and attire suited for the less mature audiences. The crossplay worship... sexual jokes and skits... and the ever-present scantily clad cosplayers.... It actually bothered me to have my friend's 9yr old sister there. Come on people, you don't have to have a gold-plated moral code to know what is and isn't appropriate in front of younger audiences. And it wasn't just the attendees either. In the dealer room, the hentai-based materials booth was near the center of the room (if memory serves, but i only went into the dealers room once) right out in the open. And there was plenty of the stuff to be found in booths where underaged kids would run across them (which they did.)
I suppose I sound overprotective or arrogant or something... but I think it has to be addressed before next year.

On a happier note, however, the attendance was triple last years, I hear. ^_^ And the guests and concerts were great. And the panels were awesome... and.... well... the con was still a great big success... even if I did find it a bit creepy at times.

P.S. Eeeeeeeewwww... >.< Our CHII count was 50 different cosplayers. (although my money was on much fewer than that) Anybody else get a count?

Last edited by YoumaIru : 05-19-2003 at 01:24 AM.
YoumaIru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 01:58 AM   #13
Peppermintstix
Smackin' Jack 'n' crack

I was actually very disappointed. I didn't get a spot in the masquerade and it really made me angry to see that some people didn't even show up at all. I think if you take up that spot you ought to show up or don't register at all. I spent a lot of time on my costume (my sister and I went as tv and movie Anthy Himemiya) and I was really sad that I didn't get to show it off in the masquerade.

Wasn't the trip to the dealers a journey!? that was insane and it was extremely hot or cold in some places. Gee whiz, and I didn't find much of anything to buy I think they had better merchandise the second year. Either that or I've gotten extremely picky with my purchases. I only buy artbooks and art prints now.
Peppermintstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 03:38 AM   #14
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Hi everyone! I just got back a few hours ago. :)

This was my first ACen and I have to say it as a *lot* of fun. :D

The highlight for me was going to all the fantastic Sakura Taisen (Wars) panels and of course meeting all the people!

I'm pretty shocked that all these random people recognized me from either cosplay.com or from other photos online. It was very cool though! :)

It was nice seeing you Troppy! :) Congrats on dancing Para Para with Yoko Ishida! :D

Irvy: Hey there, glad to have met yah. We'll do more FF at the next con. :)

pyro: It was great meeting you! I'm glad you were up and about on Sunday and got to say goodbye properly. :>

And of course it was nice meeting everyone! I'm horrible with names, so please forgive me. :( I hope to see you all soon at a future convention. :)
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 05:35 AM   #15
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

Got back last night and I just want to go back! ;_; I had so much fun and met so many cool people, really the time of my life. This was my first Anime Con, so I really had no idea what to expect, but compared to a few scifi cons ive been to this was well over the fun level of those, much more friendly and energetic. Though the hotel staff was lacking for manners, I was on such a high the entire weekend it was hard to get pushed down. Didnt eat or sleep, just concentrated on fun ^_^ Cant freaking wait until next year!
kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote