Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Llamashroom
1-800-HELP-YOU

Where to start? xD

I'm very interested in Loli, because I can't resist elegant lace with mary janes. It's all too cute. But very refined too.

Anywhoo! I have no idea what to start with. I read the Loli Handbook, just for reference. But I have no idea where to begin.

Original design or a pattern with a little embellishment?
Someone else's design (after asking permission, of course)?

Oh, and this is the most newbie to loli question, what's a petticoat?
I sorta see that it's the outside/inside of a skirt, but I still have no idea what it's supposed to be.

Sorry if this has already be answered or if I seem annoying. D :
And thanks. <3
Llamashroom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
DigitalDeviance
Fakir: Jedi Knight

Here is the Wikipedia articleon what a petticoat is.

As for starting, it really doesn't matter, I don't think. I've only one Dandy outfit; I was randomly inspired to make it, but I didn't even use a pattern; I just took a gargantuous shirt, fitted it, embellished it, bought pants, and embellished those, too.

If you have no ideas, just look at some patterns and see if you find anything that you'd like to make. (: Good luck!
Unread 12-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Llamashroom
1-800-HELP-YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDeviance View Post
Here is the Wikipedia articleon what a petticoat is.

As for starting, it really doesn't matter, I don't think. I've only one Dandy outfit; I was randomly inspired to make it, but I didn't even use a pattern; I just took a gargantuous shirt, fitted it, embellished it, bought pants, and embellished those, too.

If you have no ideas, just look at some patterns and see if you find anything that you'd like to make. (: Good luck!
Oh! So that's what a petticoat is. xD
Yes, I was planning to go to JoAnn's and just look for fabric that would inspire me. :]
Or something like that.
Thanks for your help. ^0^
Unread 12-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
DigitalDeviance
Fakir: Jedi Knight

Not a problem!
Unread 12-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
miyavilover666

out of curiosity what type of Lolita are you going to be??
and about ideas..you should look up Gothic and Lolita Bible..it has patterns in it...they may be in Japanese but they are pretty easy to put together...or just for ideas the Bible is great
Albedo- Xenosaga 2
Space Dandy- Space dandy
Judal (revamp)- Magi
Hiccup- How to train your dragon 2
Check out Umbra cosplay!
I was featured on Otaku House Representing America, check me out here!
miyavilover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Llamashroom
1-800-HELP-YOU

Type of lollita? I dunno. xD
Do you have any recommendations? :]
I'm leaning towards sweet lolita though.
And I'll most definitely look into these patterns.

Last edited by Llamashroom : 12-17-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Elenoa
Funny Bunny

Personally, I think that as long as you can sketch a design for a lolita, you can probably make it. The simplest method I use is that I do a bit of research first (look at all the pretty pictures in the G&L Bible, for instance) and then find what I like. I've found that I'm extremely attracted to wa-loli (kimono lolita), so then I go and sketch a wa-loli dress. After I've done that, I try to find patterns that match my designs. I was lucky to find some kimono patterns at Jo-Ann, but for the most part you can make a pretty decent lolita outfit by matching an elegant blouse with a nice skirt. So find patterns for blouses and poofy skirts, and you can start from there.

By the way, I take it that you're not a newbie seamstress? Making a loli dress can be rather difficult and complicated at times, so it's best if you have a friend/relative who can mentor your progress and help you along the way if you're new.

Last edited by Elenoa : 12-20-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Elenoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
Llamashroom
1-800-HELP-YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenoa View Post
Personally, I think that as long as you can sketch a design for a lolita, you can probably make it. The simplest method I use is that I do a bit of research first (look at all the pretty pictures in the G&L Bible, for instance) and then find what I like. I've found that I'm extremely attracted to wa-loli (kimono lolita), so then I go and sketch a wa-loli dress. After I've done that, I try to find patterns that match my designs. I was lucky to find some kimono patterns at Jo-Ann, but for the most part you can make a pretty decent lolita outfit by matching an elegant blouses with a nice skirt. So find patterns for blouses and poofy skirts, and you can start from there.

By the way, I take it that you're not a newbie seamstress? Making a loli dress can be rather difficult and complicated at times, so it's best if you have a friend/relative who can mentor your progress and help you along the way if you're new.
I am extremely new. I know about two stitches and just got a sewing machine. But my mommy's going to help me through my first loli (she thinks poofy dresses are adorable and sews). : D And the home ec. teacher at my school is really nice so yeahh...

Maybe I should wait a while before I start loli-ing?
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Neffy
The Imaginary Cosplayer

Well, if you're a beginner to sewing, a basic rectangle skirt shouldn't be too difficult. It's pretty much two big rectangles sewn together and gathered at the top, and then attached to a waistband, and you can always add ruffles and lace and other embellishments. If you wanted something a bit more complicated, there is this tutorial that I like here: http://community.livejournal.com/egl/7929257.html

For blouses or dresses, I agree with others that could look through pattern books and find something similar to what you want. Also, you may already know this, but when picking out fabrics, stick with cottons or cotton blends, and avoid shiny or stretchy fabrics, or anything that is especially heavy.

I hope this helped a little. ^^
Neffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
miyavilover666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamashroom View Post
Type of lollita? I dunno. xD
Do you have any recommendations? :]
I'm leaning towards sweet lolita though.
And I'll most definitely look into these patterns.
For some good patterns look in the pattern thread.
Types of lolita go by color or style of coarse.
Wa-Lolita as said befor kimono lolita
Gothic Lolita explains itself
ero-Lolita erotic lolita skirts are shorter and you show a bit more skin
and the list goes on.
I myself am a Gothic Lolita but i like sweet as well. I have a white lolita outfit or two. I also go with the seasons...I love wool ^^
Albedo- Xenosaga 2
Space Dandy- Space dandy
Judal (revamp)- Magi
Hiccup- How to train your dragon 2
Check out Umbra cosplay!
I was featured on Otaku House Representing America, check me out here!
miyavilover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
Elenoa
Funny Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamashroom View Post
I am extremely new. I know about two stitches and just got a sewing machine. But my mommy's going to help me through my first loli (she thinks poofy dresses are adorable and sews). : D And the home ec. teacher at my school is really nice so yeahh...

Maybe I should wait a while before I start loli-ing?
There's no "right" time to make a lolita XD It would be great if you have some experience with sewing before you start a real fancy lolita outfit. Experience is the best teacher :3

But you seem to have really experienced people ready to help you already. I'm going to bet that they know how to read and follow the directions for sewing patterns (those things can actually be a bit hard to understand sometimes XD) or how to draft patterns (as in modify a pattern). So just follow their instructions. I wish you good luck!

ps There's no "easiest" lolita style. It's just whatever you're comfortable with making and wearing :P
Elenoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Llamashroom
1-800-HELP-YOU

xD
Thanks everyone. <3
I'm thinking of modifications on a rectangle skirt. Because, unfortunately, I didn't understand the pattern from http://community.livejournal.com/egl/7929257.html. D :
I never knew loli had so many categories.