Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 09-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
JVCA
Pronounced 'jay-vee-ka'

Lightbulb [Tutorial] How to insert contact lenses

I've made this tutorial for a friend who wants to use them, but I figure: she musn't be the only one who'll find it useful, so here we go!

Firstly, excuse the crumminess of the graphics. XD For a computer drawn thing, I hope it's not too bad. When I start wearing contact lenses again, I'll try do a photo tutorial.
Secondly, even though contacts off ebay or whereever are cheaper, it's always safest to go to an optometrist, as sometimes the cheap and nasties really are nasty - I've seen many horror story articles on the news about people who used cheap contact lenses.
Thirdly, never use second hand contact lenses. It's a health and safety issue.
Fourthly, always clean your contacts before and after use, and only ever clean them with proper contact lense cleaning fluid. NEVER use your saliva to clean you lenses - more recently, a famous boxer has lost his sight because he took them out in a retaurant, cleaned them with spit, and put them back in. Understandably, his career is over, and he's lucky to be alive. Don't ask me who he was though - I can't remember. XD It was on the news.

But anyway, here we are:

JVCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Doctor Blind

Haha, it's very cute, but also informative ;D

Thanks for the tutorial!

Faris (FFV)
Felix (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)
Flora (Professor Layton & The Curious Village)
Doctor Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
JVCA
Pronounced 'jay-vee-ka'

You're very welcome.
JVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Annie-Mei

Thanks for the tut, however, for those that are getting contacts the first time, make sure you tell your optometrist that it is your first pair.

They will actually schedule a 1 hour fitting practice with you where the nurse will sit with you for that hour to teach you how to insert and remove the contacts. You'll probably end up removing and inserting them over 20 times in that hour.
Annie-Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Informatove, especially since i'll be procuring contacts at some point in the near future. Thanks!

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
SpiffyNerd
Dochi-ga?

Also, add that if you drop your contact while putting it in, or if you try three or four times and can't get it in, that you need to set it in some contact solution for a second to clean it.

You should always wash your hands before putting contacts in. And, if you're doing this in a bathroom (this is particularly important with expensive colour contacts!), then make sure to stopper the drain of your sink so that if you drop the contact in the sink, it won't be lost.

It's actually illegal to sell contacts like that on eBay, at least in the US. You need to have the contacts fitted to your eye. When getting contacts, even if you intend to buy them online, go to an eyecare professional FIRST to get your eyes measured and examined, so that you know what you need (base curve, etc) when buying online.
SpiffyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
chris-chan
the one and only

very informative (even though i already wear contacts)
if you go to the optometrist though, they tell you how to do this, or so their suppose to if its your first time. and you have to have a prescritption in order to buy contacts in america. other than that, you got it right on the dot.
chris-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Ribii-chan
Libbers of Doom

As a contact-wearer, I personally find it easier to

1. put the contact on the index finger of your dominant hand
2. use the other hand to hold up your upper eyelid/lashes
3. pull downward slightly with the middle finger of the contact hand
4. stare at your finger/the reflection of your eye in the mirror, and stick the sucker on.

On anther note...Does anyone know if it's possible to get prescription sweet contacts? I'm....pretty vision challenged, so I'd need them with my powers. (My current ones are -3.5 and -2.25.... -blind-)
Ribii-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
chris-chan
the one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribii-chan View Post
As a contact-wearer, I personally find it easier to

1. put the contact on the index finger of your dominant hand
2. use the other hand to hold up your upper eyelid/lashes
3. pull downward slightly with the middle finger of the contact hand
4. stare at your finger/the reflection of your eye in the mirror, and stick the sucker on.

On anther note...Does anyone know if it's possible to get prescription sweet contacts? I'm....pretty vision challenged, so I'd need them with my powers. (My current ones are -3.5 and -2.25.... -blind-)
i wear -3.0 for each, even though im supposed to wear -3.25 in one eye, so im blind too.
and i have to disagree with whats easier. since i broke my elbow about a year and a half ago, i had to come up with a new to put mine in, so now i find it easier to do it all with one hand, except for postioning it on the finger and putting solution on it. but i still need to be really close to a mirror to get the contact in.
Unread 12-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Ribii-chan
Libbers of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-chan View Post
i wear -3.0 for each, even though im supposed to wear -3.25 in one eye, so im blind too.
and i have to disagree with whats easier. since i broke my elbow about a year and a half ago, i had to come up with a new to put mine in, so now i find it easier to do it all with one hand, except for postioning it on the finger and putting solution on it. but i still need to be really close to a mirror to get the contact in.
GO BLIND PEOPLE! we totally rock in our inability to see ^_^
Ribii-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
chris-chan
the one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribii-chan View Post
GO BLIND PEOPLE! we totally rock in our inability to see ^_^
yes! join us! you know you dont want to be left out.
Unread 02-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
LadiesMan217

oh my gosh, i love this. ive never worn contacts before. i plan on getting my first cosmetic pair from my optometrist, but dont feel like going out there to have them show me how to put them in. this was very helpful.
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
ESKindler
Kindler

Maybe now I'll be able to touch my eye...

And from there wear contacts! =D

Just a question...how do you get them back out? ^^;;
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
RedRoses

heh maybe I should send this tutorial to my friend. She's freaked out about getting contacts and when I showed her how to out them on, I think I freaked her out more. XD

She doesn't like touching her eyes...
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
shivachan
a little girl dreaming...

It does take a while to get used to it. The nurse at my optomitrist was amazed at how strong my cheek muscles were just because even SHE was having trouble getting them in to show me what it was like. ^^ I had to go back for a 2nd 1 hour session and the 2nd time was a lot easier than that first time.

Even now, when I get out of practice, it takes me awhile to get used to touching my eye.

Cons attending:
Otafest, Animethon, Anime Expo, CCEE

Costumes to work on:
Chie [Persona 4], Linda [Okage],
Ringo [Air Gear], Mamimi [FLCL],
Sakura [Tsubasa], Elizabeth [Persona 4],
Lightning [FFXIII],
shivachan is offline   Reply With Quote