Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Youkai_1991
anime and hentai junky ^^

Question fake or real sword?

I am depating on should I have real swords if I dress up at Battousai (Kenshin) or fake ones.

real swords would look pretty cool but I could never get them out since it would be a weapon violation

but for fake swords they wouldnt look at good but I could still get them out.

so what should I try going for? the fake swords or real deal.
Youkai_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Gateau
Formerly Gyunyuu

Well, if you have real swords you'll get arrested. No doubt, walking around on the street with a sword is illegal. And if ANY staff sees you you'll be arrested. Just get a fake one, commission one or get a professionally made one if you're that concerned, but never EVER bring a real one.. that's just a bad idea.
Gateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Live steel is not allowed at almost all conventions, even if peace bonded (made such that it can't be drawn or used). The police aren't keen on people walking around with sharp metal objects. Just commission a sword, or build one yourself if you have the know-how. Plywood and foam are really convincing substitutes for the real thing when skillfully constructed swords are made.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
CountMetal
I GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!

Security at the ren feast told me to put my sword in the car and it's made out of plastic. It's unfair that everyone has brought swords there but they don't allow mine. Maybe next time I will have to hide it so that security won't tell me to bring it to the car.
Planned Cosplays: Ryu, Robocop, Bucky O' Hare, and Cobra Commander
CountMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMetal View Post
Security at the ren feast told me to put my sword in the car and it's made out of plastic. It's unfair that everyone has brought swords there but they don't allow mine. Maybe next time I will have to hide it so that security won't tell me to bring it to the car.
That is odd, epecially since your sword was plastic. I'd understand the order more if the sword were metal. (However, Ren Faires tend to allow peace bonded steel on certain occassions).

To be honest, however, DO NOT defy the orders of security or any of the weapons policies at conventions or Ren Faires. It's not worth the trouble and hassle. People get banned from cons and Faires for doing stuff like that. It's a disappointment, yes. But rules are made for your safety and that of others. If you feel in disagreement, contact the director of security or an event organizer and discuss the issue in a civil manner. Sometimes it's a case of mistaken identity. Either way, the worst thing they will tell you is to put your weapon away in the car or the hotel room.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
FaeandMerfolk
Costumed in Wyckedness

::is a replica arms and armor dealer at Renfairs:: I've never heard of a Renfair not allowing plastic swords. Real swords must be peace tied or boxed, but I've never heard of them banning all swords.. unless it was a first year thing or an off season event.

As for costuming with swords. For photos its great, but for cons its not so great. Even walking around at Renfairs with my swords peace tied it gets annoying and the scabbard hits things and people. I'd say, for cosplay purposes, use your creative side and make your own.

However, I've even been a dealer at cons before, but you are not allowed to carry the weapon around outside the box. Best thing to say is to ask the directors of the Con or Renfair you are going to before hand to see if peace tied weapons are allowed.

Fae.

Why yes, I am the Supreme Ruler of All Awesomeness!

Oklahoma Cosplayers Forum Communicate with Oklahoma Cosplayers and learn about our monthly events.

Director of Special Events at Izumicon www.Izumicon.com
Member of the Always Dreaming Cosplay Association And FoxMoon Productions
www.Myspace.com/CostumedWyckedness
Costume List Found Here
FaeandMerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 01:12 AM   #7
Desse
Adepta Sororitas

While state laws may differ, for the vast majority of them it is not illegal to carry or use a real sword. Now, if you're threatening someone or swinging it around in public, the police are likely to become very concerned and ask you to stop. They are weapons after all. As a western martial arts practitioners, my husband and I have quite the arsenal and haven't ever gotten in trouble for carrying or using them.

As for conventions and Faires, however, they are both held on private property and subject to the rules and regulations set forth by those running the event. After all, if an incident with a weapon occured and it *wasn't* against the rules, they could be held liable- not a happy prospect in this lawsuit happy country.

So please, follow the rules, no matter how stupid they seem to you, there is a reason for them being there- they protect both you and the cons and faires that we all love.
Rule #104- Our loyal and honorable members of the Adeptes Astartes are to be referred to as Space Marines, not "Spam in a can"
2008 Costumes
Human form Homura from Karas - Adjusting the pattern
Super Secret Costume Con 2009 masquerade entry - Planning
40K Commissar - Planning

Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
kimu
merciful kirin, really ;p

As a fellow cosplayer of a version of Kenshin--go with a prop sword, a fake.

I've been training in iajutsu (and actually battojutsu, too--that at least is real, even if a lot of the stuff is in the series is clearly fun fantasy,) and my point is, I still would never dream of going to a convention with a real blade, or a metal replica blade that has an edge, for safety reasons. And that's with 5 years of training.
kimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

If your profile is accurate, carring a weapon of any kind is illegal for a 15 year-old. This is a qustion that common sense answers.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #10
BrianAnim
sdcosplay.org *****

I carry a sword with me at any con that allows it. Pirate gear demands it.
Unread 10-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #11
VoOdOoAustin
>--VoOdOo Cosplay--<

Swords + Public AND private property= jail...or at least a hefty fine, especially if you are underage.

Unless of course you want to move to Texas... we most likely don't allow swords, but everyone carries a gun everywhere, hell we even shoot them up in the air some times just for the hell of it.

Just kidding! Sorry for semi-perpetuating the stereotype of Texans, I actually live in Austin, one of the most liberal cities ever I think. But I digress...

Live steel anywhere but on a display wall is dangerous and not smart. That's why I like prop weapons. I get the satisfaction of building it myself, and I get to carry it anywhere and justify the carrying by stating it's a prop weapon.

I have never heard of a convention allowing live steel, at least not here in Texas. Too large of a risk for too little payoff.

Have something you need done but can't quite get it? Commission me. I will meet or beat price quotes (within reasonable bounds)

VoOdOo Cosplay... ALWAYS over the top!

Visit me on Myspace!
VoOdOoAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Izczerra

DON'T, don't, please do not bring a live steel sword to a convention. They are not allowed and will cause many problems for you and con staff and may get you banned.
If you really want a real sword then get one; you can use it for your own pictures at home; though I'd be weary about taking it into a public setting.
At a con, a prop sword should be good enough. I *think* most cons will allow bokken which is passable for period cosplay. Please check your convention's rules to see what they will and will not allow. It saves time and hassel for everyone.
Izczerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
NarukuSon
Current Power Level: 234

Tampa, Florida... If they have a con there then go with a real sword, sure. It's legal. I used to walk around down town Tampa with my Katana and a group of Katana wielders for my old Kendo/Iaido group. ^^

In fact the Police sort of respect us when we do that, especially when we show such respect for others walking around us.

AFO:
Ryu (Street Fighter) - 99% Complete

MBS Team Members (On Cosplay.Com)
ThePirateBunny, AkatsukiKonan, CosplayerGabi, PluieEnfant, Rikku_Monkie, Sunako_Chan, Emily_Adams

- myspace.com/martialartstournament -
NarukuSon is offline   Reply With Quote