Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Devil May Cry

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #211
ballet shoes
candy holic

I'm half way through the game so far and its so awsome! When I get round to it I must at least make a decent stab at a Nero cosplay!

Emma Frost - X Men
Noel Vermillion - Blaz Blue
Hope Esthiem - Final Fantasy XIII
Black Cat - Amazing Spiderman
ballet shoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #212
Shawnzy
Is Jealous of a Pillow

Hey everyone, just stoppin in to give a slight update on my DMC4 Dante.

I have already acquired the pants, chaps, gloves, and under shirt. I am currently working on the coat as well as the straps and buckles. (Having a professional friend aide as much as possible with the coat.) Still lookin around for some boots, wanted to try and find some with the little bit of stitching on them, but no luck. Still workin out how to get the other boot accessory (either buy or make, not having much luck on those) Other than those things it's comming along nicely.

Now prop-wise, I'm going for 2 different props. I've decided to pass on Ebony and Ivory, just don't feel like making them before Anime Expo (If I have time...then maybe I will, but as of now, it's a no) So my main two props/weapons will be Rebellion (of course) and I'm going to attempt Pandora.

For Rebellion, I'm making a new one cause I hate my old one. This time I'd like to use some kinda actual metal for it, so I'll look into it. (The Main reason I want metal is that during my travels I have come across one of the most amazing magnets, it's about 3x3 inches and is rather strong. My plan was to attatch that to the shirt underneath the coat, and it would allow the sword to "stick" to my back, just like it seems to do in the game)

And then, if I have time, I'm going to attempt to make Pandora (briefcase form) I know it won't be too hard to really make, but I wanted to make it special. My plan was to put little strips of LED lights in it, that would sorta "pulse" like the lighting on the actual box does. This is still up in the air, and I'll work with some LEDs for a bit and see if it'll work out, I'm hoping it will because it'd be an amazing prop, and hell, I could use it as an actual briefcase to carry my stuff around in XD

So yeah, that's about it at the moment. Good luck to all you other cosplayers!
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #213
George duel
Official Solid Snake

OK, I have never posted in this thread, but I think I could help you out about the "real" colors of the materials of your favourite characters...
Since I work with 3D and 2D as well, I did a personal research for the people who wants to cosplay Nero, and are interested in his coat...

First the fabric.
From the hi-res renders looks exactly like denim...
And this was quite easy...

Now the color...
I THINK that the original idea of the artists was to have a sort of blu-ish off-black, but when you look at the renders, you can see that the coat looks: blue, dark blue, purple, navy, black, etc... This happens because the lights in the game affects the look of the texture.
There is also a big difference between the promo renders and the "in-game" models. The textures used in the promo renders/artworks are really hi-res textures, probably based on photos of the actual fabric, while the textures used in the game have a lower resolution, and they are mostly hand-painted (to simulate shadows, lights, seams, etc... Things that the hi-res artwork don't need to simulate, thanks to hi-poly models, better rendering engines, etc...).
Now.
Taking into consideration these things I did some test on 3DS Studio Max, using a simple model of a sphere, and a generic fabric "bump" texture (used just to simulate the fibers of the fabric), and this was the result...
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4...atcoloroj2.jpg
In conclusion I think that in the artworks, the coat of Nero is an off-black with a little bit of periwinkle in it!
While the coat in the game is more of a dark navy blue, still with some periwinkle in the mix...

Artwork "possible" color:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9...00thumbtl2.gif

In-game "possible" color (and great fabric for the coat overall):
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9...00thumbrj8.gif
This fabric is a two-color denim, navy blue on the outside and dark red on the inside (useful if you want to have a lightweight flowy coat without adding a lining), and even if the "inner" color is a little off, it could work...

I hope this helps
Unread 02-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #214
Link_Harkanian
Hero of the Sky

Shawn: Dude, you will be one BUFFED out Dante, judging from your pics. Which will help you with a full metal Rebellion, since we know that's gonn'a be heavy. No Con will let you carry it around though. Unless you mean a metal plate in the rebellion for the magnet, which is an idea I've also been working with.

George; get us a listing of where to get that material, and I will heart you forever. Denim or canvas is EXACTLY what I look into for DMC1 Dante and Nero's coats, since for Dante, his only leather ones are DMC3 and 4, DMC2 was a leather vest section while the rest was some kind of corderoi(sp?) or velvet. I still see a predominant purple color, and since his pants are blue, and the vest/hoodie is red, having the coat as purple thematically makes sense for someone connected to the spardas. Oh, and welcome to the thread. May you visit and help more in the future. ^^
Mystery Cosplay - ???
Things to do - Armor...lots of armor and makeup.

Upcoming Events

"Look to the Skies...and the Hero will come..."
Link_Harkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #215
Shawnzy
Is Jealous of a Pillow

Heh, I can't promise I'll be as buffed as in those pictures, I've been out of commision for a while, and have only just recently recovered from some surgery. I plan on trying to keep myself in the best condition I can for it, but I'm not allowed to go all out for some time so it will have some effects. It won't be too bad, buff or not it's hard to really tell with the layers Dante wears. As long as the forearms are rather thick it should be good lol.

As for the sword, I've decided against full metal, as looking at con rules, isn't allowed, so I will toy with putting a metal plate inside the blade or so. It will be nice for some added weight too.
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #216
George duel
Official Solid Snake

Quote:
George; get us a listing of where to get that material, and I will heart you forever. Denim or canvas is EXACTLY what I look into for DMC1 Dante and Nero's coats, since for Dante, his only leather ones are DMC3 and 4, DMC2 was a leather vest section while the rest was some kind of corderoi(sp?) or velvet. I still see a predominant purple color, and since his pants are blue, and the vest/hoodie is red, having the coat as purple thematically makes sense for someone connected to the spardas. Oh, and welcome to the thread. May you visit and help more in the future. ^^
Try here: http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/ca...px?ItmID=EE643
Unread 02-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #217
vasher
Just a touch contra

Haven't been here in a while, and wow has this thread grown. XD Everybody's progress and planning on their DMC costumes is amazing. Hope to see some DMC4 cosplayers soon.

Anyways, I've been busy working on my Sparda sword-

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1402384/

-and I'm pretty close to fiberglassing it. ^^
vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #218
KittyCatChi
Darkness like Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasher View Post
Haven't been here in a while, and wow has this thread grown. XD Everybody's progress and planning on their DMC costumes is amazing. Hope to see some DMC4 cosplayers soon.

Anyways, I've been busy working on my Sparda sword-

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1402384/

-and I'm pretty close to fiberglassing it. ^^
insulation foam is <3
~Amethyst Ashe-League of Legends
~Clea Strange -Defenders/Dr. Strange
~???
KittyCatChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #219
Link_Harkanian
Hero of the Sky

Insulation foam FTW!

I need to start work on Sword Sparda soon...probably a Yamato too...*scribbles down notes*
Mystery Cosplay - ???
Things to do - Armor...lots of armor and makeup.

Upcoming Events

"Look to the Skies...and the Hero will come..."
Link_Harkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #220
Gackt_Girl
Behind You

Just got the artbook from the game and now I'm totally unable to decide on which I want to cosplay. >__< On one hand, I've been a Dante fan since the first game came out. But on the other hand, Nero's pretty cool too.. And the designer in me thinks the denim/canvas trench coat would be bitchin'. Plus his shirt is awesome.

They would both be about even in difficulty level, but it's so hard to choose.

Oh! By the way, does anyone know where I can find the white pinstripe material worn by Lady?? I might actually go out and cosplay a girl for a change.
Ao no Exorcist- Shura
Gackt_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #221
Ki-san

A question for others out there who need to be as close to canon as possible:

Where on god's green earth did you find Lady's boots?

Its almost spring, which means boots won't be sold in stores anymore, and I would REALLY rather not make them myself...
Thanks for the help!!
Ki-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #222
Gackt_Girl
Behind You

They have the knee high boots that fold down at the top on cosworx. They're made to look like a more rennaisance style but you could probably add grommets and strings to the front.
Ao no Exorcist- Shura
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #223
R1KKu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt_Girl View Post
Oh! By the way, does anyone know where I can find the white pinstripe material worn by Lady?? I might actually go out and cosplay a girl for a change.

I've looked high and low, and the best I could find was shirting fabric and flannel, and neither would be suited for her outfit. Perhaps it'll be available somewhere (Joann's maybe) when the winter fabrics are put away and the spring ones come out. If you find fabric that would work for her outfit, please, please, lemme know. I'll love you forever. If all else fails, Ill just cosplay her outfit from 3.
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #224
Gackt_Girl
Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1KKu View Post
I've looked high and low, and the best I could find was shirting fabric and flannel, and neither would be suited for her outfit. Perhaps it'll be available somewhere (Joann's maybe) when the winter fabrics are put away and the spring ones come out. If you find fabric that would work for her outfit, please, please, lemme know. I'll love you forever. If all else fails, Ill just cosplay her outfit from 3.
Same here; no luck. Went after school all over town. I'll definately let you know if I find some though!

Found the perfect material for Nero though! Went ahead and bought it ($1 a yard!!) Hurray clearance. Currently waiting for it to finish washing so I can see if it bleeds or not...

My friend jacked my artbook away from me.. Can someone tell me if his coat is lined in red? It looks like the sleeves are because they're rolled up but I didn't think the rest was..
Ao no Exorcist- Shura
Unread 02-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #225
vasher
Just a touch contra

M'kay, I fiberglassed one side of sword Sparda and I'm beginning to remember why I used epoxy resin instead of the regular polyester resin for Force Edge. This is some heavy shit, yo. ._. I'll probably just 'glass the very points and blade edge of the other side to save on weight. Or workout more. Hmm. Doesn't seem like six pounds would be so much, but torque is a mighty force.

Ah well, learn from my mistakes, all you people who plan to make giant swords. XD
vasher is offline   Reply With Quote